News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The horror... the horror

Started by Darth Wagtaros, July 26, 2013, 07:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PDH

I never get seasick with an easy point of reference to see.  On the Bay or even close coastal sailing, everything was fine.  When the horizon was all sea it would take me a day or two out of port to get accustomed - normally I just used one scopolamine transdermal and when that wore off I was fine for next leg of 10-20 days.

People who don't get motion sickness should try sailing on a boat at sea - I thought I was fine up to that point. 
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

That scopolamine patch did fuck all. 
PDH!

Zanza

Quote from: PDH on July 26, 2013, 10:13:50 AM
People who don't get motion sickness should try sailing on a boat at sea - I thought I was fine up to that point.
Friends of my sister are very passionate sailors. So they wanted to sail around the world. When crossing from the Canaries to the Caribbean, one of them basically was sick for three weeks straight and that's when they decided to sell the boat somewhere in South America and take a plane back...

Zanza

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on July 26, 2013, 10:24:21 AM
That scopolamine patch did fuck all.
I usually take dimenhydrinate tablets when I fly.

Darth Wagtaros

The dimenhydrinate stuff works sometims, but will often knock me out. I was hoping the patch thing would keep me from being miserable but awake enough to fish and partake of the normal things.
PDH!

Zanza

True, it certainly makes you quite tired. Which is a plus on flights for me.

PDH

Scopolamine seems to work best for those who get mildly seasick.  It just does enough to take the edge off of the nausea.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Zanza on July 26, 2013, 10:48:03 AM
True, it certainly makes you quite tired. Which is a plus on flights for me.
Yes. 
PDH!

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: PDH on July 26, 2013, 10:13:50 AMPeople who don't get motion sickness should try sailing on a boat at sea - I thought I was fine up to that point.

Small boats are pretty fun when they get all crazy in the open ocean.  I was actually fairly impressed by how much even a large ship like the one I was on (581ft long) for a long time would roll in heavy seas though, especially when empty (no cargo, not totally empty obviously).  Had to tie myself into my rack a couple of times and I was below the waterline.

E:  I take that back.  My stateroom was right on the waterline, not below it.  Still the motion wasn't as bad as up in the superstructure where the officers and higher ranking civilians lived (and the bridge, obviously, where I worked). 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: PDH on July 26, 2013, 10:13:50 AM

Bah, sailing in rough waters is fun!  Especially on a little J-70 wind rocket.

My only real "motion sickness" problem is vertigo, I guess.  You know how people at great heights are told to never look down, but look up?  I can look down just fine all day long, but if I look up, I get all dizzy and shit.

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 26, 2013, 10:55:06 AM
Quote from: PDH on July 26, 2013, 10:13:50 AMPeople who don't get motion sickness should try sailing on a boat at sea - I thought I was fine up to that point.

Small boats are pretty fun when they get all crazy in the open ocean.  I was actually fairly impressed by how much even a large ship like the one I was on (581ft long) for a long time would roll in heavy seas though, especially when empty (no cargo, not totally empty obviously).  Had to tie myself into my rack a couple of times and I was below the waterline.

E:  I take that back.  My stateroom was right on the waterline, not below it.  Still the motion wasn't as bad as up in the superstructure where the officers and higher ranking civilians lived (and the bridge, obviously, where I worked).

You were on a 'Mars'.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: mongers on July 26, 2013, 11:30:47 AM
You were on a 'Mars'.   :cool:

Yes.  The San Jose, to be specific.

:)

mongers

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 26, 2013, 10:59:03 AM
My only real "motion sickness" problem is vertigo, I guess.  You know how people at great heights are told to never look down, but look up?  I can look down just fine all day long, but if I look up, I get all dizzy and shit.

Ditto.  It's gotten to the point with me where I get this weird feeling like I'm going to fall upward into the sky.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 26, 2013, 11:55:43 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 26, 2013, 10:59:03 AM

Ditto.  It's gotten to the point with me where I get this weird feeling like I'm going to fall upward into the sky.

You probably will.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.