News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The horror... the horror

Started by Darth Wagtaros, July 26, 2013, 07:08:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Darth Wagtaros

My work team and I went deep sea fishing yesterday out of Seabrook.  Seas were extremely rough, like 10-15 ft swells and the boat occasionally submerged at points.  I'm still sick, haven't been so ill since the last bout of stomach flu like ten years ago. 

Anybody else get seasickness?
PDH!

Maladict

I took a ferry to England a few months ago. Cabin on the 7th floor, the window was submerged half the time, I was sick for 19 hours straight  :x
Not much fun, especially when you keep looking at the evacuation plan on the wall in front of you, realizing you'll never make it if something happens.

Maladict

On the brighter side, the sea sickness disappeared instantly when entering port.

Even better, a lot of people apparently book return trips so they get to shop abroad for 5 or 6 hours and then return home. As the storm had delayed the ferry by 6 hours, these people had to re-board almost immediately and sail back into the storm.  :lol:
The schadenfreude made it almost worthwhile.
But not quite.

MadBurgerMaker

Nah, it seems I'm not prone to motion sickness of any type.  Seems like it sucks pretty bad though.  There were some flight crew and people on my ship that had a hard time with that sort of thing.

KRonn

I get sea sick. Never used to as a kid. I haven't been on a boat in a while but the last few times deep sea fishing were tough on me, so bad that I made a mental note to take something for seasickness before I ever went on another boat in the ocean.

The worst I had though was from carnival rides. Some years ago I was went on some rides. Got so dizzy, queasy feeling, inner ear kind of dizzy, not stomach. At first I had to wait before I could drive, and that queasiness lasted for a couple of days as it slowly diminished. No more amusement park rides for me!

Caliga

Not at all. :cool:

This thread makes me miss my boat.  Haven't had time for it for a while. :(
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

garbon

No idea. It has been quite some time since I've been on a boat.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

I never got any kind of motion sickness.  When I was on a cruise ship for a week, my equilibrium was screwed up so that for a few days after I got back home I felt like I was still swaying.  But that's about it.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

lustindarkness

Yes, I get seasick since the early 90's, a 3 week amphibious landing exercise. Small flat bottom boat bobbing in the open ocean for 24 hours shifts. Since then, just about anything gives me motion sickness.
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

sbr

I used to get motion sickness really bad, I still do if I have to sit in the back seat of the car or read while I am riding.  I haven't been on a boat in a long time.  When I was still in high school we were in San Diego and going to go out on a fishign trip in the ocean.  I was puking my guts out before the boat left the dock, so I went back to my grandparents house while everyone else went out.

jimmy olsen

I was a bit queasy when I took a ferry off Jejudo, but I didn't throw up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Zanza

I am quite susceptible to motion sickness. I don't just get it on boats, I can also get it in planes or in busses. I even got it in the past when playing 3D games like AvP or when watching Cloverfield.

Darth Wagtaros

I've experienced it playing games like Halo or even Doom.
PDH!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: sbr on July 26, 2013, 09:17:16 AM
I used to get motion sickness really bad, I still do if I have to sit in the back seat of the car or read while I am riding.

That used to drive my sister batty when we were on family car trips as kids.  I could read all day in the car, she'd want to pass out before the first page was read.

Barrister

I was airsick once.  In a DeHavilland Twin Otter floatplane over northern Manitoba.  It was rainy and overcast, causing the plane to fly quite low and right through non-stop turbulence.  It was not fun.

I've gotten queasy on a boat once or twice.  Generally found that going outside in the cool air and where I could see the horizon would make it go away.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.