News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wealth distribution in the US

Started by Berkut, July 25, 2013, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Just curious what is a good number for this?  10%?  15%?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 08:41:09 AM
You need to know why something happened before you can come up with good fixes.

That is very hard to do.  There are lots of variables to track and there isn't any way to re-reun history as a controlled experiment.

The problem if anything is understated.  It is not just that there is a consistent long-dated trend of increasing income *and* wealth dispersion.  Money incomes of working class strata are actually stagnant and over some periods declining.  And most studies to examine the question also report findings that social mobility (measured in economic terms) has declined. (EDIT Thanks Jake for the map)  This is not a sustainable trend in a democracy.  People can tolerate a certain degree of inequality if they have some reasonable hope that their children can rise to the top.  But if that hope seems improbable, eventually there will be a reaction.

I agree with Berkut that redistribution by taxation seems less than optimal as a solution that treats symptoms over causes.  But I admit I don't have a better solution to offer.  But one thing to keep in mind is that the income and wealth flows we see are not the result of some open system of free competition.  The American economy is laden with distortions to competition and subsidies both open and hidden.  Exactly how this impacts ultimate flows of income and assets and hard to say with precision.  But one could take a guess.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: alfred russel on July 25, 2013, 09:32:15 AM
The answer seems to be a combination of fracking and mormonism.  :hmm:

SLC doesn't seem to fare much better than SF.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

My local school district is quite good, and well-funded.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: derspiess on July 25, 2013, 09:43:38 AM
My local school district is quite good, and well-funded.

And therein we can see the root of one of the problems.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

alfred russel

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 09:42:51 AM

It must be that big city living is eroding the strength of their faith.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2013, 09:42:23 AM
I'm curious too.  Seems like 10% is a reasonable number, but looking at just US can skew our perspective.  Obviously it has to be less than 20% in a stable environment (with no shale oil and such), since otherwise that would imply that a top fifth are getting regularly dekulakized.

Barrister

Quote from: alfred russel on July 25, 2013, 09:47:58 AM

I have read that SLC is becoming much more cosmopolitan than it used to be, and more like the rest of the country...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 09:49:20 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2013, 09:42:23 AM
I'm curious too.  Seems like 10% is a reasonable number, but looking at just US can skew our perspective.  Obviously it has to be less than 20% in a stable environment (with no shale oil and such), since otherwise that would imply that a top fifth are getting regularly dekulakized.

Perhaps but I think this might obscure more than it helps. After all, if you just need 10% then looking at the map, there isn't a social mobility problem for most of the nation. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2013, 09:50:37 AM
Quote from: alfred russel on July 25, 2013, 09:47:58 AM

I have read that SLC is becoming much more cosmopolitan than it used to be, and more like the rest of the country...

They did have more gay bars than I expected when I visited.

Ed Anger

I'm assuming the Ohio one will get less red as the shale oil and gas ramps up in the northeast corner of the state.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

fhdz

Rather than taxation, it seems to me that we should be looking at the other kinds of benefits that the super-wealthy have essentially "purchased" from our government - subsidies, loopholes, exceptions that are tacked on as riders to bills, etc. - through hardcore lobbying. If people want a capitalist system, then the rules need to be fairly applied to everyone.

Doesn't it stand to reason that if you want to fix a gross inequality the best thing to do is start cleaning up corruption?
and the horse you rode in on

merithyn

Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2013, 09:50:37 AM

It has a growing tech industry going on there at the moment. Max applied to a number of jobs out that way.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2013, 09:42:31 AM

That is very hard to do.  There are lots of variables to track and there isn't any way to re-reun history as a controlled experiment.

The problem if anything is understated.  It is not just that there is a consistent long-dated trend of increasing income *and* wealth dispersion.  Money incomes of working class strata are actually stagnant and over some periods declining.  And most studies to examine the question also report findings that social mobility (measured in economic terms) has declined. (EDIT Thanks Jake for the map)  This is not a sustainable trend in a democracy.  People can tolerate a certain degree of inequality if they have some reasonable hope that their children can rise to the top.  But if that hope seems improbable, eventually there will be a reaction.

I agree with Berkut that redistribution by taxation seems less than optimal as a solution that treats symptoms over causes.  But I admit I don't have a better solution to offer.  But one thing to keep in mind is that the income and wealth flows we see are not the result of some open system of free competition.  The American economy is laden with distortions to competition and subsidies both open and hidden.  Exactly how this impacts ultimate flows of income and assets and hard to say with precision.  But one could take a guess.

Has anyone done a similar type of study for Canada? My impression is that the situation is nowhere near as severe up here, but I lack hard data.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on July 25, 2013, 11:08:59 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 25, 2013, 09:42:31 AM

Has anyone done a similar type of study for Canada? My impression is that the situation is nowhere near as severe up here, but I lack hard data.

Who cares about Canada? :unsure: