News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Wealth distribution in the US

Started by Berkut, July 25, 2013, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2013, 02:01:30 PM
Working 138 hours a week to live in New Jersey? That's the American Dream. :)

I don't know why a person on a minimum wage would have a 2 bedroom.

So that they don't have to share a bedroom with all of their kids? :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

The Larch

So the top quintile is the same everywhere but the bottom quintile depends on the area?

OttoVonBismarck

Why should someone stupid enough to have multiple kids while earning only the minimum wage expect anything other than abject misery in life?

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on July 25, 2013, 01:59:41 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2013, 01:56:32 PM
Another fun map. :)

How many hours would someone need to work at minimum wage to afford a two-bedroom apartment in their state?

How does that define "afford"?  Surely other living expenses are added into that.

http://www.upworthy.com/how-many-minimum-wage-work-hours-does-it-take-to-afford-a-2-bdrm-apartment-in-yo?g=2

merithyn

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2013, 02:10:22 PM
Why should someone stupid enough to have multiple kids while earning only the minimum wage expect anything other than abject misery in life?

Yes, because as we've seen here on Languish, no one ever loses their high-paying jobs and are forced to look for lower-wage positions. Once you have that high-flying gig, you're set for life!

:rolleyes:

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2013, 02:04:21 PM
But I am not sure what sounds like a nightmare about a perfect meritocratic society. Everybody making their own destiny based on their ability sounds like a good thing to me.

If I had children, I wouldn't want to have to watch them fail.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2013, 02:08:03 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 02:03:08 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 25, 2013, 02:01:30 PM
Working 138 hours a week to live in New Jersey? That's the American Dream. :)

I don't know why a person on a minimum wage would have a 2 bedroom.

So that they don't have to share a bedroom with all of their kids? :unsure:

I don't know why they would think they should be raising children on a minimum wage. They barely have enough (/not enough) money to take care of themselves.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: The Larch on July 25, 2013, 02:10:09 PM
So the top quintile is the same everywhere but the bottom quintile depends on the area?

It is just for the purposes of the comparison as obviously the top 5th in New York is different from Macon, Georgia. And no both are fixed on that map, I believe.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 02:12:52 PM
I don't know why they would think they should be raising children on a minimum wage. They barely have enough (/not enough) money to take care of themselves.

Yet millions do.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2013, 02:11:11 PM
Quote from: Habbaku on July 25, 2013, 01:59:41 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2013, 01:56:32 PM
Another fun map. :)

How many hours would someone need to work at minimum wage to afford a two-bedroom apartment in their state?

How does that define "afford"?  Surely other living expenses are added into that.

http://www.upworthy.com/how-many-minimum-wage-work-hours-does-it-take-to-afford-a-2-bdrm-apartment-in-yo?g=2

Moving to Wyoming is looking pretty good about now.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 25, 2013, 02:12:07 PM
Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 25, 2013, 02:10:22 PM

Yes, because as we've seen here on Languish, no one ever loses their high-paying jobs and are forced to look for lower-wage positions. Once you have that high-flying gig, you're set for life!

:rolleyes:

At the same time, I think everyone knows that minimum wage isn't going to be enough to live comfortably with multiple children.

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2013, 02:14:03 PM

Yet millions do.

An entirely different discussion.

Barrister

Quote from: The Larch on July 25, 2013, 02:01:12 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 25, 2013, 09:37:08 AM
So apparently the easy way to guarantee upward mobility is to live on top of shale oil deposits. :hmm:

Can't that be read also as some of the bluer regions having less difference between bottom and top quintiles? Getting to the top quintile in some of the bigger metro areas (NY, LA) must be pretty fucking difficult, no matter how many opportunities you have, while the same in Bumfuck, ND, should be much easier.

Maybe it'd be much more instructive to have the same map but with the middle quintile as target, rather than the top one.

But NYC for example has a pretty decent rate of upward mobility.

No, the dark blue areas coincide very nicely with the areas undergoing a boom due to shale fracking.

By the way I think you'd get a similar effect in parts of Alberta.  Working in the oil patch = money.  You have plenty of farm kids pulling in incomes higher than mine.  You'd easily be in the top quintile if you work in the patch.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 02:15:48 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2013, 02:14:03 PM

Yet millions do.

An entirely different discussion.

I don't think it is. In fact, I think it's definitely part of the discussion. If those making minimum wage cannot afford to live by themselves, how can we expect families to survive when they're forced into those jobs? That is, I think, exactly what this discussion is about.