And we're back!

Main Menu

Wealth distribution in the US

Started by Berkut, July 25, 2013, 12:24:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2013, 08:37:30 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 08:26:45 AM
Let's go back a couple of steps.  Share of wealth graph can be misleading.  We need to look at the growth rates of wealth of each quintile over many years, including years before the obvious shift started.  On which end do you actually have a shift?  Is it the reach accumulating the wealth at ever-increasing rates, the poor accumulating the wealth at decreasing rates (or even negative rates), or a combination of both?

Those are all very good questions.

But they are questions that go to addressing what is happening and why.

What I find amazing is that apparently there are people who look at the outcome and say "Yeah, that is cool."

I don't even think the people who are that 1% look at this result and think "Yep, that is how it should be..."
You need to know why something happened before you can come up with good fixes.

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 08:40:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 08:36:26 AM
Aren't there a hell of a lot of small businesses? Is the idea then that they are all going under?
Small businesses are not exactly a highway to riches.  Most of the time it's a life of subsistence.

So is the notion that we should all have riches?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

alfred russel

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 25, 2013, 01:09:36 AM
The American economy seemed to function in the 50-60s, even with a high tax rate.

I don't think historic tax rates are necessarily comparable to tax rates today. For example, all personal interest used to be deductible. If I got that deduction today, I could likely reduce my tax burden, even if facing significantly higher tax rates.

What is probably a better judge of taxation levels is the percentage of tax / GDP, and the corresponding percentages of tax paid / income for each segment of the population.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

CountDeMoney

What I find amazing is that apparently there are people who look at the outcome and say "Yeah, that is cool."

I don't even think the people who are that 1% look at this result and think "Yep, that is how it should be..."

Sure they are.  The system is working precisely as it should.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2013, 09:03:40 AM

Sure they are.  The system is working precisely as it should.

Do you even realize that your attitude is as much a part of the problem as Otto's?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Berkut on July 25, 2013, 09:06:22 AM
Do you even realize that your attitude is as much a part of the problem as Otto's?

Just because I acknowledge it doesn't mean I endorse it like Otto does.

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 08:47:23 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 25, 2013, 08:40:35 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 08:36:26 AM
Aren't there a hell of a lot of small businesses? Is the idea then that they are all going under?
Small businesses are not exactly a highway to riches.  Most of the time it's a life of subsistence.

So is the notion that we should all have riches?
No.

Jacob

Came across this the other day. Seems somewhat relevant to the discussion:

alfred russel

The answer seems to be a combination of fracking and mormonism.  :hmm:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Valmy

Man.  Bad to be poor in the South.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 25, 2013, 09:33:16 AM

States and regions that care about the appropriate funding their public school systems do better than those that don't.  Imagine that.

DGuller

Deep South is in Deep Shit.  Again.  Is there any human development category it actually isn't deep red on?

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2013, 09:35:17 AM

States and regions that care about the appropriate funding their public school systems do better than those that don't.  Imagine that.

Ugh look at those abortions that are Indiana and Ohio.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on July 25, 2013, 09:30:45 AM
Came across this the other day. Seems somewhat relevant to the discussion:

So apparently the easy way to guarantee upward mobility is to live on top of shale oil deposits. :hmm:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on July 25, 2013, 09:36:34 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 25, 2013, 09:35:17 AM

Ugh look at those abortions that are Indiana and Ohio.

Faded rustbelt areas like metro Ohio and Michigan and that whacky progressive state known as Indiana stopped caring about their school systems years ago.