News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The Royal Baby Thread

Started by mongers, July 23, 2013, 07:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

jimmy olsen

They should name him Arthur.

All hail the once and future King!
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Gups

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

merithyn

Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2013, 01:45:57 AM
It's rather amazing. The British from two hundred years ago would be amazed.

The British from two hundred years ago were hyper-royalist in reaction to the French Revolution and filled with patriotic zeal fighting Napoleon weren't they?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2013, 07:43:53 AM

The British from two hundred years ago were hyper-royalist in reaction to the French Revolution and filled with patriotic zeal fighting Napoleon weren't they?

Who wouldn't be with their royals?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on July 24, 2013, 07:43:53 AM

In reaction to the terror sure. But before Louis got his block knocked off, and after the American WOI, there was a lot of agitation for political reform.

Malthus

There has always been two aspects to royalism:

(1) Oooh, a celebrity! Such pagentry! etc.

(2) Royals as a symbol of tradition, continuity, stability and hence good government, as near-figurehead for a whole system that includes a functioning parliament and judiciary (but with a carefully circumscribed power to act where the political machinery gets jammed for some reason).

This is why royalism has survived some truly repellant persons who graced the throne. Even if they can't charm the public (and some have been rather less than charming), it really doesn't matter all that much for reason (2).

As to why a near-figurehead is necessary ... it is nice to have at least a notion of a head of state who is above party and faction. The Americans achieve this by respecting the office of the Presidency, even if they happen to hate the clown who inhabits that office, but that takes a certain amount of willing schizophernia to work. In a system where you have a mostly-symbolic head of government, you can vent on your political master in parliament while acknowledging that, of course, both you and he or she are loyal to the Crown - who returns that loyalty by, basically, existing as a symbol of the country as a whole (except in rare cases where a head of state above faction is actually necessary to break some kind of political gordion knot).
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

fhdz

Quote from: Razgovory on July 23, 2013, 10:08:29 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 23, 2013, 03:24:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2013, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 23, 2013, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 23, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
I liked the way that The Guardian treated the story in their online version. They have loads of articles and pontifications about the new baby, but, if you want you can press a little button marked "republican" and all the royal news will go away, to get it back press "royalist"  :cool:

:D I love the Guardian.

I loathe the guardian. Leftist wankers.

I've gone Red like Seedy. I didn't leave capitalism; capitalism left me. :P

You really fluctuate wildly.  I keep the same opinion in spite of the march of time or inclusion of new information.

I tend to gather experience and form my opinions based on as much evidence as I can gather about the situation.
and the horse you rode in on

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

The royal formerly known as Prince.

Zanza

Kong would be a nice name.

Caliga

Will the Royal Baby Stroller: cost as much as Malthus's stroller? :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points