Main Menu

The Royal Baby Thread

Started by mongers, July 23, 2013, 07:51:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 23, 2013, 05:41:57 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 23, 2013, 03:24:24 PM
I've gone Red like Seedy. I didn't leave capitalism; capitalism left me. :P

You know it, Comrade Fahdiz. It's time to put your smithy interests to work, and swing that hammer in the name of the industrial proletariat to forge a sickle of unity for all those exploited to increase shareholder value.

:punk:
and the horse you rode in on

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

Sheilbh

I thought this was true, by Jack of Kent (liberal legal blogger, and a republican) on twitter earlier 'It is strange, but William and Kate do come across as far more "normal" than the political class we would have in their place in a republic. Whether that is a comment about how normal the royals are becoming, or how abnormal our political class is, I don't know.'
Let's bomb Russia!

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Monarchy is civilization Tim.  Quit being a goof.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Josquius

Does anyone know exactly what the onion is pastiching in its reporting?
The mouth of the demon looks odd.

QuoteDamn I am a sucker for babies now.  D'awwwwww

But seriously no bank holiday?  What a rip-off.
If they did that then we'd have to have a bank holiday for its first word, its first step, its first solid food, etc... etc....
And nobody wants that. :unsure:
██████
██████
██████

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on July 23, 2013, 09:05:23 PM
Monarchy is civilization Tim.  Quit being a goof.

Monarchies are awesome.  They have no place in the US of course, but otherwise I'm all for them.  Every European country should keep or restore theirs :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 23, 2013, 08:35:12 PM
The Brits are a stubborn and illogical folk. :hmm:

True.  It is part of their charm.  But think about it, getting rid of the Monarchy would be ridiculously politically complicated and potentially culturally traumatising while keeping it is easy.  Is it stubborn and illogical to not want go through all that for no substantial gain?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: fhdz on July 23, 2013, 03:24:24 PM
Quote from: Ed Anger on July 23, 2013, 01:41:37 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 23, 2013, 11:19:42 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 23, 2013, 11:17:11 AM
I liked the way that The Guardian treated the story in their online version. They have loads of articles and pontifications about the new baby, but, if you want you can press a little button marked "republican" and all the royal news will go away, to get it back press "royalist"  :cool:

:D I love the Guardian.

I loathe the guardian. Leftist wankers.

I've gone Red like Seedy. I didn't leave capitalism; capitalism left me. :P

You really fluctuate wildly.  I keep the same opinion in spite of the march of time or inclusion of new information.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 23, 2013, 07:35:40 PM
I thought this was true, by Jack of Kent (liberal legal blogger, and a republican) on twitter earlier 'It is strange, but William and Kate do come across as far more "normal" than the political class we would have in their place in a republic. Whether that is a comment about how normal the royals are becoming, or how abnormal our political class is, I don't know.'

I also agree with him.

Republicanism is on the back foot here in the UK because of it. Anyone who thinks removing the monarchy is a priority when our political class are such a bunch of cloned tools is unlikely to get much support right now.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2013, 01:28:57 AM

I also agree with him.

Republicanism is on the back foot here in the UK because of it. Anyone who thinks removing the monarchy is a priority when our political class are such a bunch of cloned tools is unlikely to get much support right now.

It's rather amazing. The British from two hundred years ago would be amazed.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Gups

Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2013, 10:01:30 PM

True.  It is part of their charm.  But think about it, getting rid of the Monarchy would be ridiculously politically complicated and potentially culturally traumatising while keeping it is easy.  Is it stubborn and illogical to not want go through all that for no substantial gain?

Exactly right. If asked in a poll, I'd choose to keep the monarchy. But not because I love the Royals (I couldn't give a toss one way or t'other) but because getting rid of the institution would paralyse our polity for at least half a decade. It just isn't broken enough to warrant fixing.

Gups

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 24, 2013, 01:45:57 AM
Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 24, 2013, 01:28:57 AM

I also agree with him.

It's rather amazing. The British from two hundred years ago would be amazed.

It's not at all amazing if you could be bothered to think about what powers a British monarch had in Paine's time and what she has now.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Gups on July 24, 2013, 01:50:54 AM
Quote from: Valmy on July 23, 2013, 10:01:30 PM

Exactly right. If asked in a poll, I'd choose to keep the monarchy. But not because I love the Royals (I couldn't give a toss one way or t'other) but because getting rid of the institution would paralyse our polity for at least half a decade. It just isn't broken enough to warrant fixing.

An entire parliament (at least) would be involved and even after the work was done there would be no guarantee of success. All that to change a system that has worked since 1688 (the possible exception being the Crown's behaviour towards the colonists in America). It is just not worth it.........and I think that the middle 50% or so of the population who are neither diehard republicans or royalists can see this quite clearly.