Started by Syt, July 17, 2013, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on July 17, 2013, 05:05:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2013, 02:07:03 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2013, 01:00:43 PM
Pretty much.
:wacko:

That's why people like BB should be kept on a very short leash.
It's just a completely different mentality, and one that I just can't understand.  Laws don't exist for their own sake, they exist within a context.  When technology changes the context, falling back on existing laws as a last word is being willfully obtuse.

Neil

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 17, 2013, 05:06:58 PM
So I shouldn't be allowed to film a public square?
Is that what we're talking about here?  It seems to me that the problem isn't filming things, but rather filming things, taking identifiable data out of the images and using that data so as to put together a log of every citizen's movements, in the hopes of sending them to prison.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Razgovory

Good Lord, next the DMV is going to keep a list of active license plates!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2013, 12:58:15 PM

This is again one of those issues where technology erodes the spirit of the law without necessarily breaking the letter of the law.  What if police develop cameras that can record absolutely everything that happens on the streets?  Is it ok, because you don't have expectation of privacy outside of your home?

Could you tell me the spirit that is being eroded here?  I wasn't aware a license plate was ever intended to be private.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Maximus

Quote from: Razgovory on July 17, 2013, 05:33:49 PM

This is again one of those issues where technology erodes the spirit of the law without necessarily breaking the letter of the law.  What if police develop cameras that can record absolutely everything that happens on the streets?  Is it ok, because you don't have expectation of privacy outside of your home?

Could you tell me the spirit that is being eroded here?  I wasn't aware a license plate was ever intended to be private.

Talk about missing the point.

DGuller

The point of a license plate is to have ways of identifying a driver if there is a specific need to identify him.  The point of it is not to be able to track every driver's whereabouts at all times.  Back when license plates where first invented, that wasn't a consideration, since it was impossible to track the cars in such an automated fashion. 

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on July 17, 2013, 05:35:36 PM

Talk about missing the point.

Then why don't you tell me what the point is, since I clearly don't get it either.

Technology nows allows the police to do all the same things they were always allowed to do, but now they can do so more efficiently.  Please tell me what the inherent problem is with that.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

OttoVonBismarck

Yes, in theory in 1950 teams of police officers could stand at every street corner and take notes on the comings and goings of everyone. At the end of the day they could haul all their notes to a centralized place where thousands of analysts would categorize and organize the notes and create a catalog or index for searching them later. Searches would take a long time, as would these analysis and categorization processes. Further, it would bankrupt whatever government was trying to do it because it would involve massive amounts of manpower even for small towns.

But at no point would anyone's right to privacy be violated. All that is changing now is we have a system that can automatically record any license plate it sees, and if you have enough cameras you could conceivably chart that license plate's path through a town over a period of days. You could create a database and a search system that would pull up inferred travel paths of the vehicle over time. But this is all based on information that was obtained in public, the same sort of information traditional police officers have been able to collect with traditional stakeouts/surveillance that do not require warrants. They are not intercepting private communications or papers, things that do require warrants. They are just watching someone's movements.

It seems like you guys are up in arms because technology has made it so the police can do their jobs much better, faster, with lower manpower--to such a degree that it's actually creating new ways of doing their job that were technologically impossible in the past. But that's no different than DNA testing and fingerprints--do you guys oppose those as well?

Admiral Yi

Back when i was living in DC I used to regularly rent a car and drive up to NYC.

So one time I'm driving Jersey and a cop pulls me over, tells me he ran the plates and it didn't show up in the system (too new??) and wanted to check it out.  I showed him the rental papers and everything was hunky dory.

Was that an invasion of my privacy?  I wasn't doing anything that warranted a search.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on July 17, 2013, 05:49:36 PM
Then why don't you tell me what the point is, since I clearly don't get it either.
Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2013, 05:13:13 PMLaws don't exist for their own sake, they exist within a context.  When technology changes the context, falling back on existing laws as a last word is being willfully obtuse.
Technology nows allows the police to do all the same things they were always allowed to do, but now they can do so more efficiently.  Please tell me what the inherent problem is with that.
The idea that there is no expectation of privacy in public was fine when it was not feasible to track every action of every person all the time. Now that it has become feasible that idea needs to be revisited.

fhdz

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 17, 2013, 06:05:46 PM
Back when i was living in DC I used to regularly rent a car and drive up to NYC.

So one time I'm driving Jersey and a cop pulls me over, tells me he ran the plates and it didn't show up in the system (too new??) and wanted to check it out.  I showed him the rental papers and everything was hunky dory.

Was that an invasion of my privacy?  I wasn't doing anything that warranted a search.

It depends. Had you and your attorney gone on an ether binge during the ride?
and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on July 17, 2013, 06:06:53 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 17, 2013, 05:13:13 PMLaws don't exist for their own sake, they exist within a context.  When technology changes the context, falling back on existing laws as a last word is being willfully obtuse.
The idea that there is no expectation of privacy in public was fine when it was not feasible to track every action of every person all the time. Now that it has become feasible that idea needs to be revisited.

But Otto already outlined how it could have theoretically been possible to track most people. We just didn't because it was a waste of time/resources.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: fhdz on July 17, 2013, 06:08:15 PM
It depends. Had you and your attorney gone on an ether binge during the ride?

That was later.  No ether in the car, that's a hard and fast rule.

fhdz

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2013, 06:11:57 PM
Quote from: Maximus on July 17, 2013, 06:06:53 PM

But Otto already outlined how it could have theoretically been possible to track most people. We just didn't because it was a waste of time/resources.

The point he's making is that now that it isn't a waste of time and resources, is it something we as a society want to have done to us?
and the horse you rode in on

DGuller

Quote from: garbon on July 17, 2013, 06:11:57 PM
Why exactly would you divorce practicality from legality?  The laws were the way they were because of what was practical at the time.  Laws don't get created to protect people against threats that are too impractical be bothered about.  Now that more things are practical, the laws as they are may no longer be enough.  There weren't any wiretapping laws in 1700 either.