License plate cameras track millions of Americans

Started by Syt, July 17, 2013, 12:06:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zanza

Let's err on the side of caution, save some money and don't create such a database in the first place. :)

mongers

Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2013, 12:22:11 PM
Let's err on the side of caution, save some money and don't create such a database in the first place. :)

:yes:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
But the potential for abuse is unchanged depending on how efficient something is.
I don't see how that can be so.

mongers

Quote from: Maximus on July 24, 2013, 01:02:29 PM
Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2013, 12:17:44 PM
But the potential for abuse is unchanged depending on how efficient something is.
I don't see how that can be so.

Seriously Max, just trust him and his friends, they're The Law, our guardians.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on July 24, 2013, 12:45:10 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2013, 12:22:11 PM

:yes:

But how do you know you are saving money? The legitimate policing uses might actually help cut down on police overhead.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

If you have ever calculated a business case you know that the assumptions and estimates one makes will always make a project beneficial or not depending on what the predetermined result of the business case is. So let's forget about the cost and just focus on erring on the side of caution when it comes to stop potential abuse.

Barrister

Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2013, 01:38:34 PM
If you have ever calculated a business case you know that the assumptions and estimates one makes will always make a project beneficial or not depending on what the predetermined result of the business case is. So let's forget about the cost and just focus on erring on the side of caution when it comes to stop potential abuse.

Better yet - let's err on the side of caution and abolish the police!  That way we're guaranteed there will be no abuse by the police! :w00t:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2013, 01:55:56 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 24, 2013, 01:38:34 PM

Better yet - let's err on the side of caution and abolish the police!  That way we're guaranteed there will be no abuse by the police! :w00t:

:cheers:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: Barrister on July 24, 2013, 11:38:16 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 24, 2013, 10:07:32 AM
Ouch.  You know your country really fell for Big Brother when UK looks like a privacy watch dog by comparison.  But, hey, the roads are a public places, so stay home if you don't want to be randomly strip-searched.

Uh, no.

You have no expectation of privacy about things that are publicly displayed.  You have no expectation of privacy in what you wear when you go outside, because everybody can see that.  You have no expectation of privacy of your license plate because it is publicly displayed.

You do have an expectation of privacy for what is not publically displayed.  You do have an expectation of privacy for what kind of underwear you wear, or what is hidden inside your car trunk.
And this makes sense.  The question is, should you have the expectation that the authorities aren't constantly following you electronically and compiling a database on your every move?
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.