South Africa gangs using rape to 'cure' lesbians

Started by jimmy olsen, March 13, 2009, 09:32:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Awful :(

QuoteSouth Africa gangs using rape to 'cure' lesbians
Gay support group cites 10 new cases of 'corrective rape' a week in one city.

Reuters
updated 10:53 a.m. ET, Fri., March. 13, 2009

JOHANNESBURG - Gangs of South African men are raping lesbians in the belief it will "cure" the women's sexual orientation, an aid agency said Friday.

NGO ActionAid said in a report titled "Hate Crimes: the rise of corrective rape in South Africa" lesbians were increasingly at risk of rape, particularly in South African townships where homosexuality is largely taboo.

South Africa has one of the world's most progressive constitutions and became the first country in Africa to allow gay marriage in 2006, but homosexuality is still widely frowned upon and same-sex unions are often decried as "un-African."
Story continues below ↓advertisement | your ad here

The brutal rape and murder last year of female soccer player Eudy Simelane, a lesbian, threw a spotlight on homophobic violence, particularly toward women.

"We get insults every day, beatings if we walk alone, you are constantly reminded that you deserve to be raped," ActionAid quoted one lesbian as saying. "They yell, 'if I rape you then you will go straight, you will buy skirts and start to cook because you will have learnt how to be a real woman'."

Homophobic attacks
One lesbian and gay support group told ActionAid it was dealing with 10 new cases of lesbians being targeted for what it called "corrective rape" every week in Cape Town alone.

Thirty one lesbians have been reported murdered in homophobic attacks since 1998, but support groups say the actual number is probably much higher because crimes on the basis of sexual orientation are not recognized in the South African criminal justice system, ActionAid said.

Of the 31 cases, only two cases were brought to South African courts and there has been only one conviction. South Africa has one of the world highest rates of rape but activists say very few cases end in conviction, and women's groups say police and the justice system have failed to tackle the problem.

ActionAid estimates there are 500,000 rapes in South Africa every year.

It said the police were particularly reluctant to investigate crimes against lesbians and said support for survivors was inadequate.

Copyright 2009 Reuters.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Neil

Rape is the answer to everything in Africa.  AIDS, homosexuality, vampires, ethnic strife.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

derspiess

Good thing it isn't happening in the US-- otherwise it would incur Marty's wrath.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Neil

Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2009, 09:58:23 PM
Good thing it isn't happening in the US-- otherwise it would incur Marty's wrath.
Yeah right.  Marty is a male pseudogay with issues.  He hates lesbians even more than he hates heterosexuals.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:48:56 PM
Rape is the answer to everything in Africa.  AIDS, homosexuality, vampires, ethnic strife.

Don't forget penis theft.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Legbiter

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

derspiess

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:59:58 PM
Quote from: derspiess on March 13, 2009, 09:58:23 PM
Yeah right.  Marty is a male pseudogay with issues.  He hates lesbians even more than he hates heterosexuals.

You're forgetting how anti-American he is, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Queequeg

Cure people of their fear of penises and love of vaginas by traumatizing them for life with the traumatic, violent insertion of a penis?

What the fuck are these people, fucking retarded in addition to evil?
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

garbon

Quote from: Queequeg on March 13, 2009, 11:27:56 PM
Cure people of their fear of penises and love of vaginas by traumatizing them for life with the traumatic, violent insertion of a penis?

What the fuck are these people, fucking retarded in addition to evil?

Considering that many here think lesbians originate from women who have bad experiences with men, it was bound to happen that elsewhere, someone would think the opposite.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: Neil on March 13, 2009, 09:48:56 PM

When all you have is a hammer everything starts to look like nail.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

Quote from: Admiral Yi on March 14, 2009, 02:17:24 AM
What's the success rate?

Yeah. I say we fund a study of the SA government to investigate the medical efficiency of this treatment. Might be a good tie-in study for Pfizer.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Crazy_Ivan80

Quote from: neil

aye, but when European powers come and rape their continent -basically following the local custom about rape- they're called imperialists and colonialists.  ::)

Syt

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on March 14, 2009, 03:07:50 AM
Quote from: neil

aye, but when European powers come and rape their continent -basically following the local custom about rape- they're called imperialists and colonialists.  ::)

Obviously we didn't rape them in the way they felt comfortable. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

I would call for nuking Africa but the warheads are worth more than the entire continent. Seems so wasteful.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.