McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 09:31:03 AM
And so can you. We call them retirees.

I was actually thinking of the legendary Spanish Hidalgos who supposedly would rather starve to death than work.

But I guess if we are going by age groups instead of class we could go with those freeloading babies and toddlers.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Brazen

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2013, 08:56:56 AMBut it strikes me that in the future such aritificial practices could be the only way to stop mechanisation driving work utterly to extinction.

Why would we want to stop such a thing?  :huh:
Our new editorial content management system has the following article types:

Contextualised release
Press release - copy paste
Press release - rewritten
Third party release

In other words it assumes no-one actually researches and writes anything from scratch any more. If I didn't :lmfao: I'd  :weep:

Malthus

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 08:44:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
Credential inflation is only part of it.

Indeed, in some ways the Internet and ease of automatic communications has made the problem worse. Businesses can not set up automatic screening mechanisms and screen thousands of applicants, imposing ever-more specific requirements, because they can screen thousands of applicants. THe result can be very frustrating for those trying to apply ...

At least in my field the requirements in the average job ad are downright insane. One has to wonder if most people who apply are just as baffled and simply try their luck.

In fact I was pleasantly surprised when I heard an HR guy say they realise there's no way someone can have the obscure experience they want (control of house-sized presses) and they are thus going to send the employee to Germany for several months to get training.

This is the sort of thing I was (somewhat inarticulately) talking about.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 08:44:00 AM
Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
Credential inflation is only part of it.

Indeed, in some ways the Internet and ease of automatic communications has made the problem worse. Businesses can not set up automatic screening mechanisms and screen thousands of applicants, imposing ever-more specific requirements, because they can screen thousands of applicants. THe result can be very frustrating for those trying to apply ...

At least in my field the requirements in the average job ad are downright insane. One has to wonder if most people who apply are just as baffled and simply try their luck.

In fact I was pleasantly surprised when I heard an HR guy say they realise there's no way someone can have the obscure experience they want (control of house-sized presses) and they are thus going to send the employee to Germany for several months to get training.

I hear all kinds of bullshit justifications for these practices in the software world out of the Silicon Valley crowd.  Sometimes they even do it after they just complained, with a straight face, about how hard it is to find engineers and how there is a "talent shortage".

Razgovory

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on December 09, 2013, 01:59:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on December 08, 2013, 10:44:52 PM
It has everything to do with what Berkut was talking about.

No it doesn't.  Berkut said the minimum wage was not intended to be a living wage.  That page simply talks about a different definition of living wage that is based on a nuclear family instead of an individual.  It does not address whatsoever what the minimum wage was and is supposed to be.

Berkut said the idea that a guranteed wage that a family could live on was very, very new.  I found examples of people agitating for it in the 19th century.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

....and once again Raz proves why ignoring him is the smartest move possible.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

grumbler

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 08:50:22 PM
Where is he wrong?

Josquius

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2013, 08:56:56 AMBut it strikes me that in the future such aritificial practices could be the only way to stop mechanisation driving work utterly to extinction.

Why would we want to stop such a thing?  :huh:
Mass unemployment would have huge negative social effects.
Plus no matter how automated your process is you need customers at the end
██████
██████
██████

Ideologue

It could also have huge positive social effects.  Depends on how you want to play your piano.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

MadImmortalMan

Once we get plentiful cheap energy and replicators it won't matter.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

Josquius

Quote from: Ideologue on December 10, 2013, 10:48:44 PM
It could also have huge positive social effects.  Depends on how you want to play your piano.

When I was younger I used to think that. It seemed certain that one day communism would come to pass thanks to robots doing all the work and leaving people free to pursue whatever they want.
Then I tried being unemployed.
██████
██████
██████

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on December 10, 2013, 09:05:03 PM
Quote from: Berkut on December 10, 2013, 08:50:22 PM
Where is he wrong?

Clearly I missed the "greater truth", that transcends facts.  I always seem to do that.  :(
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017