McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on December 09, 2013, 03:10:37 PM
Agreed.  It used to be that answer to social mobility was education.  That was certainly my answer even if I did back into it by virtue of someone wanting me to play basketball for them.  But given the costs associated with that option I am no longer certain what the answer to social mobility might be.

The problem is we seem to have entered an era in which increasing the level of education for many has simply raised the barriers to entry to match - that is, jobs which used to require a HS diploma to obtain now require a BA/BSc., even though the job hasn't changed.

Credential inflation is only part of it.

Indeed, in some ways the Internet and ease of automatic communications has made the problem worse. Businesses can not set up automatic screening mechanisms and screen thousands of applicants, imposing ever-more specific requirements, because they can screen thousands of applicants. THe result can be very frustrating for those trying to apply ...
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Brain

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
Businesses can not set up automatic screening mechanisms and screen thousands of applicants, imposing ever-more specific requirements, because they can screen thousands of applicants.

Indeed.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on December 09, 2013, 03:55:22 PM
He might smack you with his metric ruler.

Reminds me of a Robin Williams joke.

Metric would make every man sound much more impressive.

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on December 09, 2013, 03:27:53 PM
I think your insistence on using me as a whipping boy for All Things Left on Languish lately is a means to advance your political agenda, you blowhard fuck.

Seedy would support foreign invaders if they had the right (er, left) rhetoric.

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ideologue

Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

derspiess

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on December 10, 2013, 02:04:56 AM
Seedy would support foreign invaders if they had the right (er, left) rhetoric.

Nonsense.  Revolution can only come from within, when one class overthrows another.  Read your Mao, dammit.

Iormlund

Quote from: Malthus on December 09, 2013, 03:58:36 PM
Credential inflation is only part of it.

Indeed, in some ways the Internet and ease of automatic communications has made the problem worse. Businesses can not set up automatic screening mechanisms and screen thousands of applicants, imposing ever-more specific requirements, because they can screen thousands of applicants. THe result can be very frustrating for those trying to apply ...

At least in my field the requirements in the average job ad are downright insane. One has to wonder if most people who apply are just as baffled and simply try their luck.

In fact I was pleasantly surprised when I heard an HR guy say they realise there's no way someone can have the obscure experience they want (control of house-sized presses) and they are thus going to send the employee to Germany for several months to get training.

Josquius

Something I've wondered about- would a minimum employment law be feasible?
That is a law whereby for every x profits y workers have to be employed or for every so many customers or...something like that.

It is on the surface a horrible idea of course, creating artificial jobs where none are needed. But it strikes me that in the future such aritificial practices could be the only way to stop mechanisation driving work utterly to extinction.
██████
██████
██████

Valmy

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2013, 08:56:56 AM
creating artificial jobs where none are needed.

Unless some sort of new demand for labor emerges I sometimes worry this is where we are headed.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2013, 08:56:56 AMBut it strikes me that in the future such aritificial practices could be the only way to stop mechanisation driving work utterly to extinction.

Why would we want to stop such a thing?  :huh:

Valmy

Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 09:19:45 AM
Quote from: Tyr on December 10, 2013, 08:56:56 AMBut it strikes me that in the future such aritificial practices could be the only way to stop mechanisation driving work utterly to extinction.

Because of the social order.  Can you imagine a class of people who do no work and just lay around?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Valmy on December 10, 2013, 09:21:07 AM
Quote from: Iormlund on December 10, 2013, 09:19:45 AM

Because of the social order.  Can you imagine a class of people who do no work and just lay around?

And so can you. We call them retirees.