McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 30, 2013, 06:03:29 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 30, 2013, 12:45:29 PM
Food stamps recipients have doubled in the past 10 years, but even during the boom years (2003-07) they increased by 25%.

Meh, won't have to worry about that as much anymore come Friday.

QuoteThe 2009 Recovery Act's temporary boost to Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits is scheduled to end on November 1, 2013, resulting in a benefit cut for every SNAP household.  For families of three, the cut will be $29 a month — a total of $319 for November 2013

Get a better paying job, suckers. :yeah:

Meh, just wait for the next EBT limits glitch-- then you get to clean out the Walmart food aisles.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Zanza

Saw this article and found some of the numbers interesting:

http://america.aljazeera.com/articles/2013/11/4/median-wage-stagnationincomeinequality.html
QuoteThe median wage — half of workers make more, half less — came to $27,519 last year, virtually unchanged from 2011.

[...]

The average wage, on the other hand, improved last year. It increased to $42,498, up $434, or 1 percent from 2011 after considering inflation. But the average wage remained below its $42,921 peak in 2007

[...]

Had jobs grown since 2000 at the same rate as the population, last year the nation would have had 11 million more people working.

[...]

Pretax profits of all firms in 2012 totaled $1.77 trillion, compared with $800 billion in 2000. That is a gain of 121 percent. During the same period, total real wages grew by just 7 percent, less than the 11.2 percent population increase.

garbon

Ugh, someone handing out flyers this evening tried to tell me that tomorrow was a historic moment and I should vote for de Blasio.  What, we have a black president so now we've moved on to saying it is historic to vote for someone with a biracial family?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

Quote from: DGuller on November 04, 2013, 11:30:46 AM
That reminds me, I honestly have no idea how to vote on that one.  :hmm:
I have made up my mind.  :ph34r:

Ideologue

You'll vote yes, presumably, as you're not an anti-human monster?

Wait, that's probably not the best way to persuade.  Oh well, I guess I gave that ghost up about six years back. -_-
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

CountDeMoney

You kidding? garbon believes Bloomberg is imbued with the divine right of mayors.  Should be mayor for life.

Ideologue

Quote from: CountDeMoney on November 05, 2013, 01:20:17 PM
You kidding? garbon believes Bloomberg is imbued with the divine right of mayors.  Should be mayor for life.

I meant Guller and the NJ constitutional amendment.  Garbon won't come back unless Hillary is involved, or his political allies put him in a camp.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on November 05, 2013, 01:24:23 PM

Garbon won't come back unless Hillary is involved, or his political allies put him in a camp.

I would have vote for Quinn. Unfortunately the democratic electorate decided that she didn't offer enough chocolate milk.

garbon

:swiss:

Valmy

QuotePretax profits of all firms in 2012 totaled $1.77 trillion, compared with $800 billion in 2000. That is a gain of 121 percent. During the same period, total real wages grew by just 7 percent, less than the 11.2 percent population increase.

This is what I don't get.  We have this massive increase in profits and no hiring?  No increases of wages?  No buying of services that would require hiring and wages in another sector?  Where exactly are these profits going because they sure are not being re-invested anywhere.

It is like money is being siphoned off from the economy and kept in a box.  Trickle-down fail.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2013, 03:37:04 PM
QuotePretax profits of all firms in 2012 totaled $1.77 trillion, compared with $800 billion in 2000. That is a gain of 121 percent. During the same period, total real wages grew by just 7 percent, less than the 11.2 percent population increase.

This is what I don't get.  We have this massive increase in profits and no hiring?  No increases of wages?  No buying of services that would require hiring and wages in another sector?  Where exactly are these profits going because they sure are not being re-invested anywhere.

It is like money is being siphoned off from the economy and kept in a box.  Trickle-down fail.

Rich people buy things that don't cost that much in terms of labor and materials to make but are extraordinarily highly valued.  Take for example an Audi R8 vs. a Toyota Camry.  Does the Audi really cost eight times as much to make?  I suspect not.  Same deal with giant houses in expensive places.  My hypothesis is that we're living in an artificially valued economy not based on labor or even capital but upon illusory added value; and that we register growth at all is a failure of our metrics.
Kinemalogue

Admiral Yi

How in the world would valuing goods based on labor and capital result in real values?  :huh:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Valmy on November 05, 2013, 03:37:04 PM

Alternatively productivity gains have been made without the need to hire more skilled workers.  Trickle down still fails and poses serious long term issues.