McDonalds: "What, my peon, you don't work two full time jobs?"

Started by Syt, July 16, 2013, 12:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 12:46:24 PM
I'm not sure I agree that minimum wage should increase with increase productivity. I mean isn't part of that because many tasks have been getting easier to do?

What do you mean by "easier"? Physically? Mentally?
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Razgovory

I'm not sure I agree that minimum wage should increase with increase productivity. I mean isn't part of that because many tasks have been getting easier to do?

You shouldn't get paid more because you produce more?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 01:00:39 PM

No, not strictly. I mean I'm coming at this from someone on salary and producing more doesn't change my pay - apart from if I've produced enough of higher quality that then gets me a raise/promotion.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 01:20:24 PM
No, not strictly. I mean I'm coming at this from someone on salary and producing more doesn't change my pay - apart from if I've produced enough of higher quality that then gets me a raise/promotion.

But if your company increases production, you would hope to share in that increase, yes?

The Brain

Supply and demand decides my pay. If I want to share the success of the company I can buy shares.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 12:58:09 PM

I was primarily thinking mentally / time to complete those sorts of tasks as brought upon by the computer revolution.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 01:22:06 PM

But if your company increases production, you would hope to share in that increase, yes?

Perhaps if I worked at a small co or a startup. I don't expect anything like that working in a corporation. Besides if the increase was due to them investing in infrastructure (better, faster computers, networks, etc.) why would they want to pay me more?

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 01:23:52 PM

I was primarily thinking mentally / time to complete those sorts of tasks as brought upon by the computer revolution.

I wondered if that's what you meant. It can be argued that computers have actually made jobs that were done by manual laborers much more difficult. They now require rudimentary computer knowledge, a minimum of reading skills, etc.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 01:25:24 PM
Perhaps if I worked at a small co or a startup. I don't expect anything like that working in a corporation. Besides if the increase was due to them investing in infrastructure (better, faster computers, networks, etc.) why would they want to pay me more?

We're not talking over a year or two, here. We're talking about a trend that's gone back 50 years. If your company was seeing a regular increase in production - and it generally follows that includes more money in their coffers - but you received no raise at all over that time, it would probably be a problem for you.

Razgovory

Sounds like s disincentive to being more productive.  I wonder how much productivity has been pushed by fear.  Employers threatening their employees that if they don't "do less with more", they'll be out of a job.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 01:29:17 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 01:25:24 PM

We're not talking over a year or two, here. We're talking about a trend that's gone back 50 years. If your company was seeing a regular increase in production - and it generally follows that includes more money in their coffers - but you received no raise at all over that time, it would probably be a problem for you.

Well sure, that's why I wouldn't stay for life at one company. :)

Besides, if I was working a minimum wage job and never managed to get to a position or job where I could make more than minimum wage, I'd fear that the problem was me.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 01:30:24 PM

Sounds like s disincentive to being more productive.

Agreed when they are stingy on the wage front. Not agreed that just because the company makes more that I should automatically make more.  Then you would have to happily accept that if the company makes less or sees slow growth (which many end up doing at times) then my wages should follow that too - even though I'm kicking ass.

Quote from: Razgovory on October 24, 2013, 01:30:24 PMI wonder how much productivity has been pushed by fear.  Employers threatening their employees that if they don't "do less with more", they'll be out of a job.

I'm not quite sure what you mean as I'm not sure what the doing less bit is hear. I thought we were saying employees were doing more?

The Brain

What kind of freak would accept a pay cut if the company was doing poorly? You just eject.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on October 24, 2013, 01:27:26 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 24, 2013, 01:23:52 PM

I wondered if that's what you meant. It can be argued that computers have actually made jobs that were done by manual laborers much more difficult. They now require rudimentary computer knowledge, a minimum of reading skills, etc.

I don't know. I mean if you were a cashier (let's say) and you were bad at math, did a computer make that more difficult?

garbon

Quote from: The Brain on October 24, 2013, 01:36:10 PM
What kind of freak would accept a pay cut if the company was doing poorly? You just eject.

Yep.