Spitzer and Weiner Lead in New Poll Because Scandal Brought Name Recognition

Started by garbon, July 16, 2013, 10:21:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: garbon on September 10, 2013, 09:35:41 PM
Quote from: Phillip V on September 10, 2013, 09:31:49 PM
Well it is no guarantee yet that De Blasio will be the Democratic mayoral candidate, let alone elected mayor. He needs 40% tonight to avoid a runoff. And in a runoff, it is not yet clear whether his challenger will be Thompson or Quinn.

True. That said if he is the Dem nominee, would he really lose to John "Cats" or Lhota? I mean who gets excited about Lhota? I think MTA and immediately think DEMON SPAWN. :blush:

A quick look through Lhota's Wikipedia page showed nothing crazy; just a professionally successful middle-aged neutral-looking white guy.

DGuller

Quote from: Phillip V on September 10, 2013, 10:24:56 PM
Well it is no guarantee yet that De Blasio will be the Democratic mayoral candidate, let alone elected mayor. He needs 40% tonight to avoid a runoff. And in a runoff, it is not yet clear whether his challenger will be Thompson or Quinn.

True. That said if he is the Dem nominee, would he really lose to John "Cats" or Lhota? I mean who gets excited about Lhota? I think MTA and immediately think DEMON SPAWN. :blush:

A quick look through his Wikipedia page showed nothing crazy; just a professionally successful middle-aged neutral-looking white guy.
From what I've read, his economic policies are populism at its worst.  None of the candidates are promising, but De Blasio seems like the worst of the lot. 

garbon

Quote from: DGuller on September 10, 2013, 10:40:28 PM

A quick look through his Wikipedia page showed nothing crazy; just a professionally successful middle-aged neutral-looking white guy.
From what I've read, his economic policies are populism at its worst.  None of the candidates are promising, but De Blasio seems like the worst of the lot. 

I mean I think he will end up a lot like Obama with little to none of what he's been saying getting done. He might make the right noises but the machinery in the city will end up blocking it.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

Oops. I was referring to the Republican nominee Lhota.

garbon

Quote from: Phillip V on September 10, 2013, 10:45:23 PM

Oops. I was referring to the Republican nominee Lhota.

Oh well yeah, he's Blandy McBland.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Phillip V

I wonder if Weiner's campaign implosion cost Spitzer the few percentage points and more that could have gave the ex-governor a victory tonight. Then again, it seemed that Spitzer had only jumped into the comptroller race after he saw Weiner's initial campaign success, so the bonus/malus was part of the gamble.

garbon

Ugh, I didn't know that de Blasio's campaign slogan was Tale of Two Cities. Time to get excited about Lhota. :cry:

Caliga

Quote from: garbon on September 11, 2013, 08:22:25 AM
Ugh, I didn't know that de Blasio's campaign slogan was Tale of Two Cities. Time to get excited about Lhota. :cry:
Reminds me of "Two Americas" :bleeding:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Weiner's former sexting pal tried to crash his concession speech last night. :lol:

Grey Fox

Quote from: Caliga on September 11, 2013, 08:23:51 AM
Weiner's former sexting pal tried to crash his concession speech last night. :lol:

It succeeded. He ran off thru a MickyD.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Caliga

Valmy

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 09:35:33 PM
I think Bloomberg should just go ahead and take the crown away from the Pope during his coronation, and give himself at least 2 more terms.  You know he wants to anyway.

Does the election take place on 18 Brumaire?  :ph34r:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 09:37:52 PM
I mean, honestly, would New Yorkers really mind?  Sure, the occasional stop-and-frisk-anything-larger-than-16oz aside, I think he's been doing swell.

He's gone bananas Woody Allen style in the third term.  The executive order to wear underwear on the outside is going to be issued any moment.  I thought the third term was a good idea at the time as well but the act has gotten very tired.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 11, 2013, 09:14:45 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on September 10, 2013, 09:37:52 PM
I mean, honestly, would New Yorkers really mind?  Sure, the occasional stop-and-frisk-anything-larger-than-16oz aside, I think he's been doing swell.

He's gone bananas Woody Allen style in the third term.  The executive order to wear underwear on the outside is going to be issued any moment.  I thought the third term was a good idea at the time as well but the act has gotten very tired.

:rolleyes:

The Minsky Moment

From what I've read, his economic policies are populism at its worst. 

This is a sign of how far the political center has moved to the right - that any attempt to suggest that the some part of the vast sums of corporate "business development" subsidies be allocated instead to those in need is rank populism.  DeBlasio's platform is the epitome of blandness - the entire thing could be folded into Bill Clinton's 1992 New Democrat platform and no one could tell the difference.  The Tale of Two Cities slogan is awful and horribly corny but it does capture a real truth about the city.  NYC has become a playground for the superrich, and for the affluent without families.  Everyone else must shoehorn themselves into the outer parts of the outer boroughs and endure public education that remains subpar despite years of targeting by Bloomberg. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson