Utilities   $175
Cable      $175
Cell Phone     $275
Car Payment     $350
Car Insurance     $100
Max's Student Loan     $380
My Tuition         $150

Which part is not what you expected?
The cable still surprises me. I mean the most expensive satellite package - plus TV licence - is still only around $150. If you don't want 3D, HD, box sets on demand etc then you'll pay far less.

How many phones are you paying for because that seems high to me too?

Everything else looks about what I'd expect or lower for a family.

Meri can speak for herself of course, but I pay my cable company almost $200 / month.  But the thing is - the cable company is also our internet provider, and our land-line phone company.

Still seems somewhat on the high side.  I just had a bill and it was shy of 22 quid for landline, internet and calls so that's $33-34 a month. 

I don't have cable, just a TV license, which on checking is 145.50 so add $220 a year for that. 

Cell phones and usage can be pretty cheap over here, I probably spend about $10 every 6months on calls.   :blush:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Habbaku

The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 05:04:18 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 04:53:55 PM
QuoteCell Phone     $275

Eeeeegad! Do you really need it that bad. My phone bill/internet 65.00 which includes DSL.

No cell phone for mr. Dont want to talk to people and text msg's just piss me off.

I have four teenagers, one of whom has a very serious illness. I'm out a lot, as are the kids, and it's pretty useful for all of us to be able to reach one another when we're not home. Yes, the cellphones are necessary.

Do I need a cellphone bill that's that high? No, I don't. That's a convenience fee for the Smart Phone and the unlimited texts. We did without for a long time, but were all thrilled when we could up the ante a bit after Max got a job. I'm hoping that by the time Jackson's phone is up for a renewal in January we can remove him from the bill. That'll drop it down to closer to $200. :)

That makes a lot more sense.  $275/month is actually a good price for six people.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on July 16, 2013, 05:17:20 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 03:58:03 PM
Cell Phone     $275

:wacko:  Whyyyyyy?

It's only about $70/line. That doesn't seem like a lot to me for a pretty big data plan for everyone to share and unlimited texting for everyone. :unsure:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

merithyn

Quote from: Habbaku on July 16, 2013, 05:22:16 PM

That makes a lot more sense.  $275/month is actually a good price for six people.

Four people, actually. Riley and Carter are on their dad's plan.

Habbaku

Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 05:23:03 PM
Cell Phone     $275

It's only about $70/line. That doesn't seem like a lot to me for a pretty big data plan for everyone to share and unlimited texting for everyone. :unsure:

That is definitely a lot, though I suppose it depends on how much data you actually use and your talk minutes.  I'm on Virgin Mobile, for instance, and they provide unlimited data and texts for $35/month per line.  The downside is that you are only given 300 talk minutes per month (but I usually only burn ~100 of those--texting eliminates a lot of the need for most calls) and that you must buy a phone from them up-front before you can use the service.  Compared to a contract plan from the major carriers, that's a huge difference on a monthly basis.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 16, 2013, 09:37:06 AM
You might laugh at our television tax but it beats paying for health insurance  :D

Yeah, well...:unsure:

Free refills, bitch.  :mad:

katmai

Cell Phone     $275

My dad pays $190 for him, his gf and one of her sons.

I pay $135 for me and my mother (two iphones with data plans and unlimited texting)
Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

merithyn

Quote from: katmai on July 16, 2013, 05:30:04 PM
Cell Phone     $275

I pay $135 for me and my mother (two iphones with data plans and unlimited texting)

I forgot the data plan for Max's tablet, too. So yeah, five lines, effectively.

garbon

Sorry but still kinda reminds me of my cousins living at home with their giant ass tvs (and the one with his bmw). Hell my grandfather in gov't housing with his new cadillacs every few years. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: garbon on July 16, 2013, 05:48:43 PM
Sorry but still kinda reminds me of my cousins living at home with their giant ass tvs (and the one with his bmw). Hell my grandfather in gov't housing with his new cadillacs every few years. :(

:huh:

We can afford it. Now. When we couldn't, our bill was considerably less.

Ed Anger

I've reduced my cable bill w/20 megabit Internet down to 115 bucks by sweet talking the cable girl on the phone. And the threat to switch to a dish or U verse.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Grey Fox

Quote from: Barrister on July 16, 2013, 04:17:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 16, 2013, 04:05:16 PM
Our bills run roughly:

Rent   $1000
Utilities   $175
Cable      $175
Cell Phone     $275
Car Payment     $350
Car Insurance     $100
Max's Student Loan     $380
My Tuition         $150

Which part is not what you expected?
The cable still surprises me. I mean the most expensive satellite package - plus TV licence - is still only around $150. If you don't want 3D, HD, box sets on demand etc then you'll pay far less.

How many phones are you paying for because that seems high to me too?

Everything else looks about what I'd expect or lower for a family.

Meri can speak for herself of course, but I pay my cable company almost $200 / month.  But the thing is - the cable company is also our internet provider, and our land-line phone company.

Your TV package must be really nice.

I pay 57 & 48$ for Cable TV & Internet(different companies). I don't have a landline.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Grey Fox

Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 05:46:56 PM
Quote from: katmai on July 16, 2013, 05:30:04 PM
Cell Phone     $275

I forgot the data plan for Max's tablet, too. So yeah, five lines, effectively.

How much data? because that's important.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

dps

Voted <$1500, but it's not a lot under, and it might go a bit over that in the winter when the electric bill goes up.