4001 - 6000
2 (4.3%)
> 6001
0 (0%)
I have no clue
2 (4.3%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Grey Fox

Yes but there's also a supplement program based on income. I qualify for that one too.

It's part of it too, 7$ now too but there is also a 4 times a year payment.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

The Brain

Meh, counting money is so gauche. Whatever that means.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2013, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 09:21:34 AM
For some, health insurance is a monthly bill. For others it's an auto-deduct from your paycheck. You can decide for yourself how you want to count it.

Either way it's an expense. Same with taxes. I guarantee most of the people here are wildly understating their expenses for that reason alone. Don't start with the net. The difference between the gross and the net are all expenses and need to be added in to the total. The only wildcard is 401k/IRA contributions.

Take into account income taxes then we are just back to a proxy of our gross annual incomes  :hmm:

The monthly bills as defined by meri is quite a useful measure in my opinion, it represents fairly inelastic costs that it would be tricky to reduce even if our gross incomes collapsed. High income taxes, after all, are not a problem if one hits hard times.

Maximus

Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2013, 11:09:36 AM
I just checked and I pay $286 a year in property tax. :lol:

Where I grew up my parents paid  less than $100 per year in property taxes on 240 acres.

merithyn

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 16, 2013, 12:27:30 PM
Quote from: MadImmortalMan on July 16, 2013, 11:33:39 AM
Quote from: merithyn on July 16, 2013, 09:21:34 AM
For some, health insurance is a monthly bill. For others it's an auto-deduct from your paycheck. You can decide for yourself how you want to count it.

Either way it's an expense. Same with taxes. I guarantee most of the people here are wildly understating their expenses for that reason alone. Don't start with the net. The difference between the gross and the net are all expenses and need to be added in to the total. The only wildcard is 401k/IRA contributions.

Take into account income taxes then we are just back to a proxy of our gross annual incomes  :hmm:

The monthly bills as defined by meri is quite a useful measure in my opinion, it represents fairly inelastic costs that it would be tricky to reduce even if our gross incomes collapsed. High income taxes, after all, are not a problem if one hits hard times.

:yes:

One can lower monthly expenditures, but it's often a bit harder. This is obvious by the fact that our monthly costs went up considerably once Max got a job, because we added smart phones to our cell phone bill, got HBO, and bought a car and car insurance. If something should happen and we're back to a lower income, we could reduce those again as necessary.

But in general, your monthly expenditures are what they're going to be.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Caliga

Quote from: Maximus on July 16, 2013, 12:33:33 PM
Where I grew up my parents paid  less than $100 per year in property taxes on 240 acres.
:wacko: Is there some kind of massive homestead exemption up there?
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 16, 2013, 11:14:07 AM
Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2013, 11:09:36 AM
I just checked and I pay $286 a year in property tax. :lol:

Which is precisely why your public school system is as shitty as it is.

No that's due to lazy ass teachers and teachers unions.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 01:30:15 PMNo that's due to lazy ass teachers and teachers unions.

Do you have kids?

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Barrister

Quote from: Caliga on July 16, 2013, 01:23:16 PM
Quote from: Maximus on July 16, 2013, 12:33:33 PM

I know the general area where Max is from.  It's miles from anywhere and likely receives essentially zero in services for those property taxes.

I mean I pay a lot in taxes, but at least I get water, garbage pick up, snowclearing, schools, etc. for that money.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: 11B4V on July 16, 2013, 01:39:16 PM
I do, an 8 y/o.

Gotcha. Cool :)

I was just wondering how personal your experiences and decisions were re: your local public school system.

11B4V

Besides her last two teachers were nice, just hippies. Sending home incomplete homework assignment..etc.

The PTA was peddling this summer workbook for 17.00. I was like, yea, good idea. Now I was think along the lines of a book similar to a brainquest workbook, which is like an inch thick with multiple subjects. Oh no, not those fucking PTA swindlers. What I get is some 50 page lame ass workbook.

Maximus

I don't know the exact details as I was 13 when we left. At the time that area was an Improvement District rather than a Municipal District. A Municipal District in Alberta is sort of similar to a county in the US although they have counties as well. An Improvement District means the population was low enough/sparse enough that it could not support its own infrastructure etc, so the province handled much of that and levied the property taxes at a low rate. I believe the Northern Residence reduction applied to property taxes and there may have been other exemptions related to underdeveloped areas.

In addition it was "agricultural land" which taxes at a lower rate than, say, residential. In reality, when they bought it it was wooded muskeg that wasn't even good for commercial logging. By the time we left it had all been drained and about half of it was cleared with about half of that in cultivation.

Barrister

Quote from: Maximus on July 16, 2013, 01:50:13 PM
I don't know the exact details as I was 13 when we left. At the time that area was an Improvement District rather than a Municipal District. A Municipal District in Alberta is sort of similar to a county in the US although they have counties as well. An Improvement District means the population was low enough/sparse enough that it could not support its own infrastructure etc, so the province handled much of that and levied the property taxes at a low rate. I believe the Northern Residence reduction applied to property taxes and there may have been other exemptions related to underdeveloped areas.

In addition it was "agricultural land" which taxes at a lower rate than, say, residential. In reality, when they bought it it was wooded muskeg that wasn't even good for commercial logging. By the time we left it had all been drained and about half of it was cleared with about half of that in cultivation.

IIRC you'd also be getting a discount since you're doing all those improvements to the land.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Maximus