Best (one-liner) lessons your parents/guardians taught you as a kid

Started by Capetan Mihali, July 12, 2013, 01:20:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capetan Mihali

By one-liner meaning not, e.g. "the value of hard work" generally; things that get to the point.  Not Henny Youngman style one-liners.

From my mother, two come to mind.

1) "When in doubt, go out."
-- If you feel vaguely shitty and homebodyish but have a social invitation, and are borderline on it, just fucking go.  I think that stupid cliche has kept me much less "Aspergersish" than I otherwise might have been.  Sometimes, I've been getting the bus home and thought "I'd have much rather stayed in," but as a general rule it's golden.

2) When you try to "help out," you actually need to be helpful.
-- Like offering to do the dishes for someone at the end of a dinner party; making a helpful gesture doesn't improve anyone's well-being unless you can actually be helpful.  Otherwise, don't do it.  Because it increases the work and is fucking frustrating, not gracious.

From my father... Yelling at people (esp. on the phone or at your family) usually helps you get what you want.  Not one I've personally followed, but I've seen the outcome.  Excellent cable and phone deals have resulted.  Also many road rage confrontations, but overall successful for him.  And, from his own New Deal-raised pop, that taxes are not theft but a public obligation that supports us all and should be honored.

From my grandad (mom's stepfather): 1) holding doors; 2) standing up when people come in the room, in any setting that's not totally casual.  #2 often makes me look a little ole-fashioned but it suits my nervous nature, and can be quite endearing, I've observed.

What about you lot?
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

CountDeMoney

"If you act crazy, black people will leave you alone."--Dad, 1981.

Admiral Yi

"Some people have inferiority complexes, and some are just inferior."

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Capetan Mihali

You know, though I don't consider him a parent or guardian, Yi's bar tipping line -- "The only situation where $1.00 separates a chump from a stud" (paraphrased) -- will go down with everything else. 

At a restaurant, you're only a chump or stud memory (though I always tip 20% plus [or minus for ease of accounting]), but at a bar, fuck it, you're already investing in the atmosphere by paying 6 times for your Miller than what you could drink at home out of a case.  Two bucks on the first drink, at least, is a damn investment, if nothing else.  But I've definitely done Joseph's $10 for two beers on an $8.50 and never ever caught flak or even shade for it.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

:weep:

As long as your soliciting, another original truism I am rather proud of is it's very cheap to live in the US; what's expensive is impressing others.

Said in response to a recently arrived North African cab driver in DC who was commenting on the expense of the US.  He was thunderstruck by the strength of truth of my words.

merithyn

My mom - "I don't care who started it. I'm ending it." Alternate ending: "It ends now."
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

crazy canuck

My Grandfather who was concerned about floods - "Never build on the flat"  and as you may know I took this advice to heart.

My father - "You make your own luck"

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Syt

I don't think I ever got any folksy life advice from my parents. My dad was not a man of many words and hardly talked to us on the best of days. And my Mom ...

When pondering changes in life - "With the current [Job, apartment, ...], you at least know what you have - do you know for sure things won't get worse when you change things?"
When setting goals - "Start low (risk as little as possible), and if that works, move forward." (Which is why I was not sent to the more advanced school after elementary that my teachers had highly recommended for me.)
And, when she was not happy with a decision of ours, "You have to know what's best for you." (Like going to Vienna, for example.)
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 12, 2013, 01:27:41 PM
"Some people have inferiority complexes, and some are just inferior."

So is this the one you've lived your life by?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

mongers

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 01:20:21 PM

From my mother, two come to mind.

1) "When in doubt, go out."
-- If you feel vaguely shitty and homebodyish but have a social invitation, and are borderline on it, just fucking go.  I think that stupid cliche has kept me much less "Aspergersish" than I otherwise might have been.  Sometimes, I've been getting the bus home and thought "I'd have much rather stayed in," but as a general rule it's golden.

I like this, it's rather good practical advice, more than half the time it'll work and as you say, especially helps with those not disposed to social events. 
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Scipio

Sounds like a personal problem.

You're only as old as the woman you feel.

It's a long way to Timbuktu.

If you can't help, get out of the way.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.