If you could produce a big budget HBO series, what would it be about?

Started by jimmy olsen, July 12, 2013, 10:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2013, 11:24:55 AM
Rumpled?

I first wrote "dashing and handsome", but changed it because I didn't want it to be too autobiographical. -_-
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Baron von Schtinkenbutt

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Capetan Mihali

A frontier town in South Dakota, with the prospect of statehood quickly approaching, enlivened by great character actors portraying rival saloon keepers, Jew hardware store owners, gold-hearted whores, banditos, wealthy laudanum addicts, and a Canadian would-be sheriff.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

crazy canuck

This one is easy, and would be a big hit, but would probably require a larger budget.

The complete Patrick O'Brian series.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/039306011X

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 11:52:20 AM
A frontier town in South Dakota, with the prospect of statehood quickly approaching, enlivened by great character actors portraying rival saloon keepers, Jew hardware store owners, gold-hearted whores, banditos, wealthy laudanum addicts, and a Canadian would-be sheriff.

Sounds good, but they should make the sheriff from Kentucky.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Barrister

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 12, 2013, 11:56:59 AM
This one is easy, and would be a big hit, but would probably require a larger budget.

I don't think the budget would be too bad.  80% of the series is set on ships, so you just need 2-3 sailing ships and you're mostly set.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Capetan Mihali

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 12, 2013, 12:02:06 PM
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on July 12, 2013, 11:52:20 AM

Sounds good, but they should make the sheriff from Kentucky.

Good idea, we might just get through 3 seasons with that alteration.
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

PRC

Quote from: Barrister on July 12, 2013, 12:02:54 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on July 12, 2013, 11:56:59 AM

I don't think the budget would be too bad.  80% of the series is set on ships, so you just need 2-3 sailing ships and you're mostly set.

This would be awesome... I think it would be tough to make it look good though.  Hornblower series had 2-3 sailing ships and looked pretty hack at times trying to stage the shots.  CGI ships would probably be better for fleet actions and a real ship or two for on deck close-ups.  It would also require production pools for storms, etc.

Ideologue

Quote from: Baron von Schtinkenbutt on July 12, 2013, 11:44:15 AM
Quote from: Neil on July 12, 2013, 11:01:36 AM
Dreadnoughts.

I would love to do a movie in Jutland, or a series on the entire naval war.

Dept of Redundancy Dept.

Master of the World: air pirate Roburs ongoing one man war against
Planet Earth.

Or a Star Trek show. Thatd be way fucking rad.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)