How long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get behind bars?

Started by merithyn, July 10, 2013, 02:40:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Assuming he's found guilty *coughs*, how long should Dzhokhar Tsarnaev get?

American - Death penalty
American - Life w/o parole
American - Life with possibility of parole
American - > 30 years, but not life
American - < 30 years
ROTW - Death penalty
ROTW - Life w/o parole
ROTW - Life with possibility of parole
ROTW - > 30 years, but not life
ROTW - < 30 years
Other - Share with the class, please

Siege

He looks like terrorist to me.
No difference from the ones I have seen in the wild.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Queequeg

30+ years.  It's hypothetically possible he could go Raskolnikov and realize that he did something completely horrible and terrifying when he's older.  Without that, life.  Frankly, I'm really sympathetic to the death penalty in this case, and don't think my opinion is more valid than the family of the victims. 
Quote from: PDH on April 25, 2009, 05:58:55 PM
"Dysthymia?  Did they get some student from the University of Chicago with a hard-on for ancient Bactrian cities to name this?  I feel cheated."

merithyn

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Sweet-looking?

He looks like a kid. Mostly because he is one, but yeah, that's most of it.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

derspiess

Quote from: merithyn on July 11, 2013, 10:11:19 AM
Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 09:50:23 AM
Sweet-looking?

He looks like a kid. Mostly because he is one, but yeah, that's most of it.

He looks like a 20-year old terrorist/murderer to me. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

KRonn

People who do bad things come in all shapes, looks and sizes, obviously. If he were ten years older he wouldn't have his baby face and no one would think twice about his looks to think whether they could consider him being a killer. He just happens to be young, but if he were young and ugly he'd likely not get the same sympathy.

Habbaku

Quote from: KRonn on July 11, 2013, 10:36:09 AM
People who do bad things come in all shapes, looks and sizes, obviously. If he were ten years older he wouldn't have his baby face and no one would think twice about his looks to think whether they could consider him being a killer. He just happens to be young, but if he were young and ugly he'd likely not get the same sympathy.

:rolleyes:  Yep, that's me - swayed by his pretty-boy looks.

Shockingly, Spellus isn't gushing about how he is the hottest terrorist ever.   :hmm:
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

merithyn

If he were 10 years older, I wouldn't be thinking, "Dear god, he's just a kid. How can he possibly have understood what he was doing?"
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Darth Wagtaros

Quote from: Habbaku on July 11, 2013, 10:44:43 AM

Shockingly, Spellus isn't gushing about how he is the hottest terrorist ever.   :hmm:
Yeah well Marty has that one covered.
PDH!

derspiess

Must be a woman thing, then.  Sorta similar to the Aaron Hernandez thing.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 11:59:04 AM

Aaron Hernandez is kinda hot but certainly not a "he looks sweet".
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:03:20 PM

Hence the "sorta".

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:20:57 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:03:20 PM

Hence the "sorta".

I guess sorta in the sense that they aren't really similar.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:25:14 PM

:mellow:

They are similar in that the suspect's looks are apparently important enough to certain people that they feel the need to mention it almost as a mitigating factor in their guilt.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 11, 2013, 12:26:50 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 11, 2013, 12:25:14 PM

:mellow:

They are similar in that the suspect's looks are apparently important enough to certain people that they feel the need to mention it almost as a mitigating factor in their guilt.

Oh well, I've not actually heard anyone say that re: Hernandez.