News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Panera to retool latest pay-what-you-can idea

Started by garbon, July 10, 2013, 09:56:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

Seedy really is a true and true communist. There is nothing any for profit business can do that will be acceptable to him.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

garbon

Quote from: Berkut on July 10, 2013, 04:14:38 PM
Seedy really is a true and true communist. There is nothing any for profit business can do that will be acceptable to him.

Nationalize Panera!
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

The local Paneras would used to give their day old bread to the homeless, except the homeless wouldn't touch that shit.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Why? Day-old Panera bread is still better than eating out of a garbage can.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Razgovory

Don't know, not homeless.  Just know they didn't want it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 04:29:53 PM

Yeah I kinda hated in SF, when I'd come across places that just threw out all their day old bagels/bread.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

If companies did not get tax considerations for acts of charity, do you think they would do it more, or do it less?

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 10, 2013, 04:31:56 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 04:29:53 PM

Yeah I kinda hated in SF, when I'd come across places that just threw out all their day old bagels/bread.

$2 for a bag o' bagels that were still quite edible = a hell of a deal :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 10, 2013, 04:31:52 PM
Don't know, not homeless.  Just know they didn't want it.

Then they're spoiled bums.  I've eaten Panera bread more than a day old and it was still tasty. 

There used to be a bum near work who held a sign asking for money because he was hungry.  One day I handed him a 12" sub I got with a buy one get one free coupon, and he handed it back because it didn't have mayo on it.  Fucker.

Caliga

Panera :yuk:

Most of their bread is hard as hell.  The only sandwich from there I like is the Bacon Turkey Bravo as it's on some soft tomato-basil flavored bread.

I know one guy that cracked his jaw on their bread, and another chick that broke a tooth. :wacko:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Caliga

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 04:47:53 PM
If companies did not get tax considerations for acts of charity, do you think they would do it more, or do it less?
Less.  I'm not gonna lie.

Berkut

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 04:47:53 PM

It would make no difference to you either way.

If they got a tax break, they would be doing it for the tax break (even if it was a net loss anyway).

If they didn't get a tax break, they would be doing it as a marketing ploy.

Arguing with you about profit motive is like arguing science with a YEC.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Caliga

There are other motivations as well....

a) It allows people to feel good about themselves
b) It gets them invited to all sorts of charity events, which are a great way to network