Orson Scott Card, Anti-Gay Author, Responds To 'Ender's Game' Boycott Campaign

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Camerus

Quote from: Siege on July 11, 2013, 10:25:54 PM
Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 11, 2013, 06:33:43 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 11, 2013, 02:31:59 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/omgitsanf/19-things-the-bible-forbids-other-than-homosexuali-b83k

Wow, that's brilliant garbon.  Thanks for bringing that to our attention.

It has little relevance for non-Jewish America anyway.

What are you talking about. There nothing jewish in there. That's clearly directed at Christians.
Fuck. Now I have to go back and break it down one by one. Fuck you Raz. Fuck you Pathos.

It's directed at Christians, but only because the author of the website is ignorant on this issue (as are many Christians).  The New Testament expressly absolves Christians from all of these dietary laws, thus they aren't relevant to Christians.

Razgovory

Quote from: Pitiful Pathos on July 11, 2013, 11:17:02 PM

http://www.buzzfeed.com/omgitsanf/19-things-the-bible-forbids-other-than-homosexuali-b83k

What are you talking about. There nothing jewish in there. That's clearly directed at Christians.
Fuck. Now I have to go back and break it down one by one. Fuck you Raz. Fuck you Pathos.

It's directed at Christians, but only because the author of the website is ignorant on this issue (as are many Christians).  The New Testament expressly absolves Christians from all of these dietary laws, thus they aren't relevant to Christians.

It's directed at Athiests who can chortle about how stoopid the Christians are and how smart they are.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2013, 01:30:24 AM

It's directed at Athiests who can chortle about how stoopid the Christians are and how smart they are.

Actually I think it was directed at saying that it's rather bullshit how much credence is given to the idea that Christians have to oppose same sex marriage.

At any rate, it is a juvenile piece but fitting in response to Siege's juvenile post. ;)
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 12, 2013, 02:10:00 AM

Actually I think it was directed at saying that it's rather bullshit how much credence is given to the idea that Christians have to oppose same sex marriage.

At any rate, it is a juvenile piece but fitting in response to Siege's juvenile post. ;)

No, I think this was just childish "Look how stupid these people are" bullshit. Hence the snide and puerile comments.  Like " We all need to be the bigger person. But sometimes it's so harddd!"
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

You posted it here.  Anyway, Siege did his best, and much better then some simpering little high school shit giving his opinion on theology on Buzzfeed.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 12, 2013, 03:22:33 AM
You posted it here.  Anyway, Siege did his best, and much better then some simpering little high school shit giving his opinion on theology on Buzzfeed.

Whatever, Raz. :)

Scipio

Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2013, 04:37:00 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 09, 2013, 04:17:39 PM
Quote from: Josephus on July 09, 2013, 04:13:47 PM
How much does boycotting the movie affect him, though? Don't buy his books, perhaps.

Of course it won't affect him in any real way at all, even if it works - he already made his money.

The point is to send a message to Hollywood about who they can and cannot do business with in the future.

Are there conditions under which a boycott would not be a hypocritical self-defeating waste of time?
Alabama bus boycott, Claiborne County MS business boycott, etc.  But those are economic boycotts intended to correct de jure and de facto economic discrimination by the business owners/operators.  I'm pretty sure that Hollywood doesn't discriminate against homosexuals economically.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

The Minsky Moment

Not only that but the absolution was only required for converts from Judaism - gentile Christians were never subject to those rules in the first place.  The only rules in the Torah for gentiles are not to eat the flesh of still living animal and not to commit murder. 
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

garbon

http://www.theguardian.com/film/2013/aug/16/ender-s-game-orson-scott-card-essay-obama-hitler

QuoteHe has already upset many with his views on homosexuality. Now Orson Scott Card, author of the iconic source novel which forms the basis of upcoming sci-fi blockbuster Ender's Game, has repeated the trick, and imagined a post-democratic USA in which the current president rules as an autocrat forever.

In the essay, which was published on Card's Civilisation Watch blog and titled "Unlikely Events", the novelist posits a future where Obama rules as a "Hitler- or Stalin-style dictator" complete with his own "national police force" of "young out-of-work urban men". He also suggests that Obama and his wife, Michelle, might amend the US constitution to allow presidents to remain in power forever before the next presidential election and would then "win by 98 percent every time". Adds the author: "That's how it works in Nigeria and Zimbabwe; that's how it worked in Hitler's Germany."

Card labels the post "an experiment in fictional thinking," adding: "Will these things happen? Of course not." However, his work is unlikely to please executives at studio Lionsgate, already on the back foot over Ender's Game after many – including gay group Geeks Out – highlighted Card's opposition to same-sex marriage in the US and suggested film-goers might consider boycotting the upcoming movie based on his 1984 novel.

Card, a practising member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and key figure in the anti-gay National Organisation for Marriage, has been highly vocal on the issue for a number of years. His views, and the Geeks Out boycott, have seen him encouraged to stay away from promotional appearances to promote the Ender's Game movie such as last month's Comic-Con in San Diego. Lionsgate, meanwhile, has been at pains to flag up its equal rights credentials, issuing a statement describing the studio as "proud longtime supporters of the LGBT community, champions of films ranging from Gods and Monsters to The Perks of Being a Wallflower and a company that is proud to have recognised same-sex unions and domestic partnerships within its employee benefits policies for many years". The studio added last month: "We obviously do not agree with the personal views of Orson Scott Card and those of the National Organisation for Marriage."

Ender's Game, which stars Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, Hailee Steinfeld, Ben Kingsley and Harrison Ford, centres on a gifted child who is sent to a military school in space to prepare for an alien invasion. It is released in UK cinemas on 25 October, Australian cinemas on 31 October and US cinemas a day later.

Ed Anger

Forever? Will he be encased in a Golden Throne? Will the Obama Imperial Guard backed by the Democratic party Inquisiton an a thousand chapters of elite Democrat marines fight the forces of Chaos and their gods Limbaugh, Beck, Rand and Reagan?

Tune in next bat time, same bat channel!
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Eddie Teach

That scenario is dumber than anything Tim's shared with us. Possibly dumber than anything Lettow's shared with us even.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

The Minsky Moment

Quote"win by 98 percent every time". Adds the author: "That's how it works in Nigeria and Zimbabwe; that's how it worked in Hitler's Germany."

Hitler won around 1/3 of the vote, then stopped elections
The winner in the last Nigerian elections won less than 60% and the elections were considered fair by outside observers.  Prior elections were not as clean but nothing close to 98 percent.
The Zimbabwe elections were screwed up but still Mugabe only got in the 60s.

The problem with this guy might just be garden variety rank stupidity.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Ed Anger on August 16, 2013, 01:15:23 PM
Forever? Will he be encased in a Golden Throne? Will the Obama Imperial Guard backed by the Democratic party Inquisiton an a thousand chapters of elite Democrat marines fight the forces of Chaos and their gods Limbaugh, Beck, Rand and Reagan?

Tune in next bat time, same bat channel!

He's been in the Golden Shower awful long now. Hey, You better not be touching Yourself in there!
Women want me. Men want to be with me.