Orson Scott Card, Anti-Gay Author, Responds To 'Ender's Game' Boycott Campaign

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Abigail Breslin is in this movie?
Dam, I fear I'm gonna have to drop my boicott on child exploitation.

I have to watch this movie!!!!

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on July 09, 2013, 01:56:30 PM
Abigail Breslin is in this movie?
Dam, I fear I'm gonna have to drop my boicott on child exploitation.

I have to watch this movie!!!!

:yes: :thumbsup: :perv:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Siege

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 01:54:36 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2013, 01:35:05 PM
What's your beef, Yi.

A phobia is an irrational fear.  Homosexualists use homophobe to describe anyone who is opposed to homosexuality, much like rag heads use Islamophobe to describe anyone who criticizes Islam or Muslims.  Both of those are bullshit.

I think we're pretty far past the point where homophobe is just for people afraid of homosexuality.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2013, 01:23:52 PM

He sure is.

And people are entitled to think he's still a bigot because of the opinion he holds; and they are entitled to not go watch his movie if they're the sort of people who don't want to make movies made by bigots.

I don't care what a person thinks or feels. However, Card puts a portion of his income in trying to force his opinion into law. Because of that, I won't support him or his film. Which sucks, because Card used to be one of my favorite authors, and I've been waiting for this movie for a very long time.

Ah well.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

11B4V

Quote from: Siege on July 09, 2013, 01:57:42 PM
OvB and Yi got it right.

Garbon and Grallon got it wrong.

Yes, pretty silly of the groups wanting to boycott it. Wonder if there are any gay or bi actors, producers, etc, involved with it.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: merithyn on July 09, 2013, 02:02:13 PM

He sure is.

And people are entitled to think he's still a bigot because of the opinion he holds; and they are entitled to not go watch his movie if they're the sort of people who don't want to make movies made by bigots.

I don't care what a person thinks or feels. However, Card puts a portion of his income in trying to force his opinion into law. Because of that, I won't support him or his film. Which sucks, because Card used to be one of my favorite authors, and I've been waiting for this movie for a very long time.

Ah well.

Ask Tamas to get you a copy. :ph34r:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

He sure is.

Ah well.

What's wrong with putting your money where your mouth is?
I thought this was kind of a goal in politics, to get rid of the double-dealing assholes saying one thing then doing the complete oppossite?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 02:00:13 PM
I think we're pretty far past the point where homophobe is just for people afraid of homosexuality.

Nope.  AFAICT the usage is limited to politicized gays and their friends in the lamestream media.

Besides, it's in your own self interest to maintain the original meaning.  Otherwise, how are you going to describe an opponent of gay rights who clearly is a twinky?

Siege

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 02:05:46 PM

He sure is.

Ah well.

Ask Tamas to get you a copy. :ph34r:

Piracy!!!  Call the cops!
I am sure the NSA is recording this!!!111

11B4V

He sure is.

Ah well.

Other people from the opposing side put a portion of their income in trying to force their opinion into law. Hypocritical IMO.

I'll see it and hope it's good. Dont care about the other BS.

merithyn

Quote from: Siege on July 09, 2013, 02:07:05 PM

What's wrong with putting your money where your mouth is?
I thought this was kind of a goal in politics, to get rid of the double-dealing assholes saying one thing then doing the complete oppossite?

Nothing at all. That's what I intend to do by not paying for his film.

garbon

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 09, 2013, 02:07:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 02:00:13 PM

Nope.  AFAICT the usage is limited to politicized gays and their friends in the lamestream media.

Besides, it's in your own self interest to maintain the original meaning.  Otherwise, how are you going to describe an opponent of gay rights who clearly is a twinky?

Or merriam-webster:

Quoteirrational fear of, aversion to, or discrimination against homosexuality or homosexuals

As to your second bit, I'm not quite sure what you mean, nor why that distinction is important (assuming you're saying a gay who is against gay rights?).

merithyn

Quote from: 11B4V on July 09, 2013, 02:08:49 PM

Other people from the opposing side put a portion of their income in trying to force their opinion into law. Hypocritical IMO.

How is it hypocritical? I didn't say that he couldn't do as he pleases with his cash. I just said that I choose not to support it.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on July 09, 2013, 02:08:49 PM

He sure is.

Ah well.

I suppose you might have a case if both sides are equally good and supporting hate is a legitimate cause.

At any rate, I don't think there is hypocrisy involved in not forking over money to someone who will fork over money to causes that hurt you (/you disagree with).