Orson Scott Card, Anti-Gay Author, Responds To 'Ender's Game' Boycott Campaign

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 12:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/07/09/scott-orson-card-gay-marriage_n_3566122.html

QuoteAnti-gay author Orson Scott Card has responded to plans for a boycott of the big-screen adaptation of his 1985 novel "Ender's Game," suggesting that same-sex marriage supporters should show tolerance towards those who once opposed them.

Card, a Mormon and National Organization for Marriage board member, was dubbed a homophobe as far back as 2000 when he was criticized by Salon for his anti-gay views -- which included labeling homosexuality a "deviant behavior" and saying "gay rights is a collective delusion." In the subsequent years, he penned various essays opposing equal rights. He called any government that supports same-sex marriage a "mortal enemy" that he will "act to destroy."

Earlier this year, these views led to the boycott of an "Adventures of Superman" issue he co-authored. Now, LGBT group Geeks OUT is asking moviegoers to boycott Card's flick in a campaign called "Skip Ender's Game." Geeks OUT argues that by seeing the movie or purchasing merchandise associated with it consumers will only add to the science-fiction author's fortune.

But Card doesn't seem to think this is an appropriate response. In a statement to Entertainment Weekly he said:

QuoteEnder's Game is set more than a century in the future and has nothing to do with political issues that did not exist when the book was written in 1984. With the recent Supreme Court ruling, the gay marriage issue becomes moot. The Full Faith and Credit clause of the Constitution will, sooner or later, give legal force in every state to any marriage contract recognized by any other state. Now it will be interesting to see whether the victorious proponents of gay marriage will show tolerance toward those who disagreed with them when the issue was still in dispute.

Those behind "Ender's Game" have distanced themselves from Card.

"Orson's politics are not reflective of the moviemakers," an unnamed individual involved with the film told The Hollywood Reporter earlier this year. "We're adapting a work, not a person. The work will stand on its own."

"Ender's Game" takes place in the future, 70 years after an alien war has left mankind in peril. A military school has been set up to train young children who will later defend the planet, one of whom is the unusually gifted Ender Wiggin. The film stars Harrison Ford, Asa Butterfield, Viola Davis, Ben Kingsley, Abigail Breslin and Hailee Steinfeld. It is due in theaters Nov. 1.

So supporters of gay marriage, who were/are planning to boycott, should not boycott Card's in the name of tolerance because Card's backwards views have been trumped by the Supreme Court? :hmm:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Barrister

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 12:53:38 PM
So supporters of gay marriage, who were/are planning to boycott, should not boycott Card's in the name of tolerance because Card's backwards views have been trumped by the Supreme Court? :hmm:

Pretty much.

Gay marriage has been a very divisive issue in politics for 10-20 years.  It now appears to be over.  It seems to me the correct response on behalf of proponents of gay marriage is to recognize that they've won and not 'spike the football' by going after people who once opposed it, since people who used to oppose gay marriage include practically everyone.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

fhdz

Quote from: Caliga on July 09, 2013, 12:54:43 PM
IIRC I saw Card interviewed once and he was really effeminate. :sleep:

SOOPRIIISE SOOPRIIIIISE SOOOOOOPRIIIIISE.
and the horse you rode in on

Zanza

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on July 09, 2013, 12:57:48 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 12:53:38 PM

Pretty much.

Gay marriage has been a very divisive issue in politics for 10-20 years.  It now appears to be over.  It seems to me the correct response on behalf of proponents of gay marriage is to recognize that they've won and not 'spike the football' by going after people who once opposed it, since people who used to oppose gay marriage include practically everyone.

Except that Card was pretty vitriolic on gays and gay marriage. People should just suddenly forget that he said hateful things? I doubt the same can be true of everyone who at one point opposed gay marriage*.

Also, I think it is mistaken to say that the debate is over. After all, most of the US still refuses (and in fact has constitutional amendments to block) to recognize/allow gay marriages.

*though personally I've no problem with holding that as a standard and do take it as a black mark, anyone, who at any point in their life, has been opposed.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Syt

I'm sure Card has ulterior motives (i.e. wants as many people as possible to see the film and pay for it). Still, in this day and age it's unusual enough that after the end of a polarizing and highly divisive political struggle a member of the losing side goes on record saying, "OK, this matter is settled. I saw it differently, but it's time to move on."
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

garbon

Oh and btw, BB, I think it is pretty obvious that Card is still intolerant.

garbon

Quote from: Syt on July 09, 2013, 01:07:46 PM
I'm sure Card has ulterior motives (i.e. wants as many people as possible to see the film and pay for it). Still, in this day and age it's unusual enough that after the end of a polarizing and highly divisive political struggle a member of the losing side goes on record saying, "OK, this matter is settled. I saw it differently, but it's time to move on."

He's going on record saying that he thinks we've moved in the wrong direction and btw, give me the tolerance that I've never been willing to show.

Zanza

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 01:05:59 PM
and in fact has constitutional amendments to block
Can those stay with the recent Supreme Court decision?

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

*though personally I've no problem with holding that as a standard and do take it as a black mark, anyone, who at any point in their life, has been opposed.

There's a lot of people on your shit list, then.  Glad I'm not the only one :)
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Zanza on July 09, 2013, 01:11:00 PM
and in fact has constitutional amendments to block
Can those stay with the recent Supreme Court decision?

Pretty sure the recent SC decision had a bit about states being left to decide these matters. That said, there is a court case, I think Minnesota or Michigan, challenging in relation to state bans.

garbon

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 01:12:06 PM

There's a lot of people on your shit list, then.  Glad I'm not the only one :)

I said a black mark - on the balance of the whole, they could be fine individuals. :)

Barrister

Does that include Hillary, who at the time supported the very bill the USSC just struck down? :ph34r:
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.