News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Mos Def undergoes force-feeding for Guantanamo

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fhdz

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 12:24:35 PM
It's not a plight if it's intentionally self-inflicted.

:huh: The plight in question is being held without trial. The hunger strike is the means of calling attention to the plight, not the plight itself.
and the horse you rode in on

Jacob

Quote from: crazy canuck on July 09, 2013, 12:19:23 PM
I find the reactions of Max and Scary Spice curious.

Have hunger strikes become so common that they have lost their effect?  I am not sure that is true.  As a society (writ large) are we becoming immune to the plight of others?  Perhaps.

I'm not sure about lack of empathy for members of out groups being new development. I think there's always been people with Max and derspiess' attitude. Societies can listen to them more or less on various issues - and I think that there's not one society here it, but multiple sometimes overlapping, sometimes discrete ones.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 12:26:56 PMYou almost got it.  I'm trying to understand why something like a hunger strike has such effect on others.

Makes sense. Empathy must seem puzzling if you lack it yourself.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 12:39:33 PM:rolleyes:

What?

You have no empathy for these people, right? Isn't that the substance of what you're saying?

Other people have, and thus the hunger strikes makes an impression on them. You find it puzzling.

Where is that inaccurate?

Maximus

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 12:35:09 PM
:huh: The plight in question is being held without trial. The hunger strike is the means of calling attention to the plight, not the plight itself.

I have specifically and intentionally not mentioned that plight or lack thereof. What I am talking about is why anyone would pay attention to what is essentially a temper tantrum.

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2013, 12:49:29 PM
What?

You have no empathy for these people, right? Isn't that the substance of what you're saying?

Other people have, and thus the hunger strikes makes an impression on them. You find it puzzling.

Where is that inaccurate?

You simply said I lack empathy, implying that I lacked any whatsoever.  But thanks for "clarifying"-- I do pretty much lack empathy for someone voluntarily starving himself and don't understand how that act is supposed to endear me to his cause. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 12:52:32 PM

I have specifically and intentionally not mentioned that plight or lack thereof. What I am talking about is why anyone would pay attention to what is essentially a temper tantrum.

Because the individuals in question have no other recourse? I also think that you're wrong as it isn't essentially a temper tantrum.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

You are acting like they have all sorts of options.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 12:53:22 PMYou simply said I lack empathy, implying that I lacked any whatsoever.  But thanks for "clarifying"--

You're welcome :)

I'm sure you have empathy for a wide range of people in a wide range of situations.

QuoteI do pretty much lack empathy for someone voluntarily starving himself and don't understand how that act is supposed to endear me to his cause.

I don't think "endear to his cause" is an accurate description of what's happening when people take notice of the hunger strike.

DGuller

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 12:57:17 PM
They could've contacted a sympathetic Congressman to make them aware of the fact.

Admiral Yi

It's not essentially a temper tantrum.  A temper tantrum is a costless, transparent ploy. 

As to your earlier question about why should we care if they're super-unhappy, it's because of our humanity.  Ostensibly that's the same reason we let them exercise and read and give them adequate food and shelter.

frunk

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 11:46:03 AM
Quote from: frunk on July 09, 2013, 11:37:04 AM
Other options for a prisoner to get attention are....

I don't know? I don't see how that's relevant.

Relevant to what, why you should care?  That's up to you.  Why they are doing this?  Because they have few other options, and it doesn't look like they'll be leaving this prison any time soon if ever.

fhdz

Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2013, 01:01:10 PM
They could've contacted a sympathetic Congressman to make them aware of the fact.

Why would they trust a US politician at this point, when even Obama went back on the promise to shut down Gitmo? Serious question.

garbon

Quote from: fhdz on July 09, 2013, 01:25:48 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 09, 2013, 01:01:10 PM

Why would they trust a US politician at this point, when even Obama went back on the promise to shut down Gitmo? Serious question.

But D was joking so...:unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.