Main Menu

Mos Def undergoes force-feeding for Guantanamo

Started by garbon, July 09, 2013, 08:33:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 10:36:02 AM
Quote from: Gups on July 09, 2013, 10:34:08 AM
Worked for Mahatma.

Weren't most of the hunger strikers cleared for rlease 4 years ago? I wouldn't have much of an appetite if I was kept indefinately in a prison camp without trial either.

They get all the free Froot Loops they want.  Sounds like a vacation to me.

You should deffo give it a try.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 10:34:54 AM
Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 10:29:19 AM
Well isn't the point of a hunger strike to get sympathy/pressure from the outside to get changes made?

I suppose.  But I just have a hard time understanding why anyone has empathy for someone harming himself by not eating.

Well, sometimes people start to wonder about *why* the person is starving themselves. Which is what the striker wanted in the first place.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 09, 2013, 10:39:15 AM
Well isn't the point of a hunger strike to get sympathy/pressure from the outside to get changes made?

I suppose.  But I just have a hard time understanding why anyone has empathy for someone harming himself by not eating.

Well, sometimes people start to wonder about *why* the person is starving themselves. Which is what the striker wanted in the first place.

:yes:

It garners attention.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Razgovory

A conservative that is unmoved by someone starving to death?  Unheard of!
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on July 09, 2013, 10:41:08 AM
A conservative that is unmoved by someone starving to death?  Unheard of!

Whether it's by choice factors heavily into whether or not I give a shit.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 10:40:52 AM

It garners attention.

To me it just makes the person look foolish.  Would a "repeatedly bang your head on the wall" strike have the same effect?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 10:44:19 AM
To me it just makes the person look foolish. 

Well, at least you're taking the half a second to think them foolish. Half a second more than they'd have gotten.

For people who have been thrown into a modern oubliette, there's not a whole lot of other options.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: garbon on July 09, 2013, 10:40:52 AM

It garners attention.

To me it just makes the person look foolish.  Would a "repeatedly bang your head on the wall" strike have the same effect?

Well presumably it is less damaging than beating one's head against the wall. :mellow:

Besides, if it gets at least some people to pay attention, that's a positive. What would you do if you wanted to get something to change while sitting in prison?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

So foolish that we're tying them down to prevent them from achieving their goal.

A hunger strike is a very powerful gesture.  Guy is putting his money where his mouth is.  Just like that Buddhist monk who torched himself in Saigon.

Gups

As a tactic it's been successfully used on a number of occassions.

Gandhi saved thosands of lives in his 1947 hunger strike. The IRA hunger strike of 1981 achiieved most of the prisoners demands and was a huge propaganda coup for them

The current strike gets Gitmo back in the news.

derspiess

I'm not arguing whether it's effective-- obviously it is.  I just don't understand the psychology of why it's effective. 

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on July 09, 2013, 11:11:48 AM
I'm not arguing whether it's effective-- obviously it is.  I just don't understand the psychology of why it's effective.

You don't understand how "I believe this so strongly that I'm willing to risk my well being to support it" is effective?

Maximus

Not really. Obviously they want things they don't have. That's pretty much a requirement for being a prisoner.

frunk

Quote from: Maximus on July 09, 2013, 11:35:11 AM
Not really. Obviously they want things they don't have. That's pretty much a requirement for being a prisoner.

Other options for a prisoner to get attention are....

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on July 09, 2013, 11:24:04 AM
You don't understand how "I believe this so strongly that I'm willing to risk my well being to support it" is effective?

No.  I don't see how that relates in any way to me giving a shit.  Some person wants to starve or kill themselves to get some attention?  We have plenty of attention whores already, but knock yourself out.