Breaking News - Airliner On Fire At San Francisco Airport.

Started by mongers, July 06, 2013, 02:09:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: garbon on July 06, 2013, 05:22:34 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 06, 2013, 04:43:54 PM
and that has a lot to do with the airliner in SF.

Here let me "Garbonize" his post.  :rolleyes:

I'm now a verb?

Indeed you are.

A noun too.

Here in the EU we have a market in "Garbon Credits". We each have a quota of sarcastic and/or bitchy remarks that we are allowed to make each quarter. At the end of each quarter those in deficit have to purchase Garbon credits off those in surplus.

Simply by making this sarcastic post it turns out that I now have to remit 87 euros to Syt because he has been nice for all of 8 days  :mad:

God I hate the EU  :(

mongers

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 06, 2013, 05:44:06 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2013, 05:41:36 PM
Hopefully a fair few survived.

Sounds like all but two of them survived.   Or maybe all of them.  I'm seeing both.

:cool:

Seems like the 777 is a well built aircraft to take that sort of impact and for the passenger compartment to hold together.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 06, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

I'm now a verb?

Indeed you are.

A noun too.

Here in the EU we have a market in "Garbon Credits". We each have a quota of sarcastic and/or bitchy remarks that we are allowed to make each quarter. At the end of each quarter those in deficit have to purchase Garbon credits off those in surplus.

Simply by making this sarcastic post it turns out that I now have to remit 87 euros to Syt because he has been nice for all of 8 days  :mad:

God I hate the EU  :(

:lol:
See garbon, you're now a famous or infamous. Choose one, you're choice.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: mongers on July 06, 2013, 05:48:19 PM
:cool:

Seems like the 777 is a well built aircraft to take that sort of impact and for the passenger compartment to hold together.

Now they're saying 2 dead, as many as 60 unaccounted for, 10 of the (at least) 30ish injured are in critical condition at the hospital.  291 passengers, 16 crew total.

dps

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on July 06, 2013, 05:46:54 PM

I'm now a verb?

Indeed you are.

A noun too.

Here in the EU we have a market in "Garbon Credits".

Hey, that makes him an adjective, too!

MadBurgerMaker

There's video of this now.  It's a cellphone video that, as usual, they didn't rotate, but you can still get an idea of what happened.  After they hit the seawall, they slid along for a bit, then it looks like a wingtip or engine or something caught and they spun around once before they came to a stop (this is what that witness decided to call "cartwheeling down the runway"). 

It's basically dumbass luck and Boeing, I suppose, that it wasn't a lot worse. 

NTSB dude said the crew figured out their speed was too low 7 seconds before hitting, then stalled or started to stall it 4 seconds from impact, tried to go around @ 1.5 seconds which is when they finally pushed the throttles above idle.  The airplane was responding properly. 

CountDeMoney

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on July 07, 2013, 07:34:58 PM
It's basically dumbass luck and Boeing, I suppose, that it wasn't a lot worse.

If it were an Airbus, it would've ignited and exploded immediately, flicking its ashes pretentiously.

11B4V

didnt see this posted yet

San Francisco Plane Crash Moment of impact | Asiana Airlines Crash | HQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lBi8zR44OsU
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

How's this for a whoopsie

QuoteFire Truck May Have Run Over Asiana Plane Crash Victim
The coroner tells NBC Bay Area they were alerted by the San Francisco Fire Department "that a fire truck may have played a role in the death of one of the girls."

The San Mateo County Coroner's Office is conducting an autopsy to see whether a fire truck ran over one of the teenagers who died in Saturday's Asiana Flight 214 crash at San Francisco International Airport.

San Mateo County Coroner Robert Foucrault said one of the bodies was found on the tarmac near where the plane's tail broke off when it slammed into the runway. The other was found about 30 feet away from where the jetliner came to rest after it skidded down the runway.

Foucrault tells NBC Bay Area they were alerted by the San Francisco Fire Department "that a fire truck may have played a role in the death of one of the girls," and are trying to determine if the teen died as a result of the plane accident or a "secondary incident."

The autopsies were expected to be completed by Monday night and would determine if the injuries came from the crash or from the fire truck.

The two victims who died have been identified Ye Mengtuan and Wang Linjia, both 16 and students at Jiangshan Middle School in eastern China.

In addition to the two deaths, Saturday's crash at the San Francisco International Airport wounded 180. Of the wounded, 49 are suffering from critical injuries, SFO officials said.

The plane's cockpit voice recorder showed the pilot attempted to abort its landing just 1.5 seconds before it crashed.

Passengers described chaos in the aftermath of the accident, with many of the 291 onboard escaping by sliding down emergency inflatable slides. A few exited through the back of the plane in an opening that was caused when the tail section tore off.

In the immediate minutes after the crash, police officers threw utility knives up to crew members so they could cut away passengers' seat belts.

Some passengers doused themselves with water from the bay, possibly to cool burn injuries, authorities said.

By the time the flames were out, much of the top of the fuselage had burned away. Inside - the tail section was gone, with pieces of it scattered across the beginning of the runway. One engine was gone, and the other was no longer on the wing.

Benjamin Levy, a businessman seated in the Boeing 777 jetliner's 32nd row, told NBC Bay Area the plane seemed to had been coming in too low for landing at San Francisco, and the pilot "missed the runway quite completely."

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

CountDeMoney

CountDeMoney

Pilot still had his training wheels on.

QuoteSAN FRANCISCO/SEOUL (Reuters) - The pilot of the crashed Asiana plane at San Francisco airport was still "in training" for the Boeing 777 when he attempted to land the aircraft under supervision on Saturday, the South Korean airline said.

Lee Kang-kuk, whose anglicized name was released for the first time on Monday and differed slightly from earlier usage, was the second most junior pilot of four on board the Asiana Airlines aircraft. He had 43 hours of experience flying the long-range jet, the airline said on Monday.

The plane's crew tried to abort the descent less than two seconds before it hit a seawall on the landing approach to the airport, bounced along the tarmac and burst into flames.

It was Lee's first attempt to land a 777 at San Francisco airport, although he had flown there 29 times previously on other types of aircraft, said South Korean transport ministry official Choi Seung-youn. Earlier, the ministry said he had accumulated almost 10,000 flying hours, including 43 at the controls of the 777.

Two teenage Chinese girls on their way to summer camp in the United States were killed and more than 180 injured in the crash, the first fatal accident involving the Boeing 777 since it entered service in 1995.

The Asiana flight from Seoul to San Francisco, with 16 crew and 291 passengers, included several large groups of Chinese students.

Asiana said Lee Kang-kuk, in his mid 40s, was in the pilot seat during the landing. It was not clear whether the senior pilot, Lee Jung-min, who had clocked up 3,220 hours on a Boeing 777, had tried to take over to abort the landing.

"It's a training that is common in the global aviation industry. All responsibilities lie with the instructor captain," Yoon Young-doo, the president and CEO of the airline, told a news conference on Monday at the company headquarters.

The plane crashed after the crew tried to abort the landing with less than two seconds to go, the U.S. National Transportation Safety Board said on Sunday.

Information collected from the plane's cockpit voice recorder and flight data recorder indicated there were no signs of problems until seven seconds before impact, when the crew tried to accelerate, NTSB Chairwoman Deborah Hersman told reporters at San Francisco airport.

A stall warning, in which the cockpit controls begin to shake, activated four seconds before impact, and the crew tried to abort the landing and initiate what is known as a "go around" maneuver 1.5 seconds before crashing, Hersman said.

"Air speed was significantly below the target air speed" of 137 knots, she said. The throttle was set at idle as the plane approached the airport and the engines appeared to respond normally when the crew tried to gain speed in the seconds before the crash, she said.

CountDeMoney

The video, which will be remembered long after the crash is forgotten.

http://deadspin.com/pranked-tv-station-reports-ho-lee-fuk-wi-tu-lo-as-758955806

QuotePranked TV Station Reports "Ho Lee Fuk," "Wi Tu Lo" As SF Crash Pilots

Bay Area Fox affiliate KTVU purportedly learned the names of the flight crew of Asiana flight 214, which crashed last Saturday at San Francisco International Airport, killing two. These—"Sum Ting Wong," "Wi Tu Lo," "Ho Lee Fuk," and "Bang Ding Ow"—are not their names. The newscaster's credulous reading puts it over the top.

This aired just after noon, local time. Via Gawker, the station read a statement later in the broadcast:

Earlier in the newscast we gave some names of pilots involved in the Asiana Airlines crash. These names were not accurate despite an NTSB official in Washington confirming them late this morning. We apologize for the error.

Update: The NTSB has released a statement, confirming that an intern confirmed the names of the flight crew to KTVU.

The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6.

Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft.

The NTSB does not release or confirm the names of crewmembers or people involved in transportation accidents to the media. We work hard to ensure that only appropriate factual information regarding an investigation is released and deeply regret today's incident.

Appropriate actions will be taken to ensure that such a serious error is not repeated.

Personally, I almost pissed myself over "Bang Ding Ow".