Obama's limo: Heavy armor, blood bank, night vision

Started by jimmy olsen, July 05, 2013, 04:52:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2013, 11:51:13 AM
I'm defending the United States of America.

I think the United States of America can defend itself very well.

CountDeMoney

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2013, 12:07:28 PM
It's like the rearview mirror, you just glance at it occasionally...
Would that be an effective use, though?  The reason you need to only glance at the rear view mirror is that things don't develop quickly behind you.  The closing speed of cars behind you is a couple of MPH, unless you have some idiots playing checkers behind you. 

On the other hand, things in front happen very quickly.  How many seconds do you have between first detecting those two pedestrians and driving past their location?  You're going to need to do a lot of glancing to not miss the things this gizmos is intending you to not miss.

Zanza

The newer ones mark pedestrians (and maybe even animals) and probably make some warning noise.

Caliga

Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2013, 11:25:18 AM
It stops an IED?
Maybe 5 gallon jug kind of IED.
That limo doesn't have a V-shaped bottom.
A 500 lbs IED would put the floor of the limo 2 inches from the limo's ceiling. Compressed like an egg shell.
While I'm sure you are right, there's probably an assumption being made that the limo isn't likely to drive over a 500 pound IED, since I believe they sweep routes the limo is going to drive on in advance, and there are usually other vehicles in the front of the motorcade anyway.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Siege

Quote from: Neil on July 05, 2013, 12:10:18 PM
Quote from: Siege on July 05, 2013, 11:25:18 AM
It stops an IED?
Maybe 5 gallon jug kind of IED.
That limo doesn't have a V-shaped bottom.
A 500 lbs IED would put the floor of the limo 2 inches from the limo's ceiling. Compressed like an egg shell.

It looks pretty tough, I'll give it that. I wouldn't be surprissed it can stop .50 cal rounds.
This is not a combat vehicle though, so claiming it can stop IEDs does not seem like a good idea to me.
Not to mention the thread of anti-armor weapon systems, like AT4s, RPG-22s, Javelins, etc.
Those aren't actually real threats, Siege.

Ever heard of an EFP (explosively formed penetrator)?
Really small, and it penetrates combat armor.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

What's the significance of the picture of the lump of concrete and the flattened water bottle?

Zanza

Quote from: Jacob on July 05, 2013, 12:41:56 PM
What's the significance of the picture of the lump of concrete and the flattened water bottle?
Maybe if that lump of concrete fell on Obama's head while he is outside his armored car, his head would look like the flattened water bottle...  :huh:

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 05, 2013, 12:20:26 PM
Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2013, 12:07:28 PM
It's like the rearview mirror, you just glance at it occasionally...
Would that be an effective use, though?  The reason you need to only glance at the rear view mirror is that things don't develop quickly behind you.  The closing speed of cars behind you is a couple of MPH, unless you have some idiots playing checkers behind you. 

On the other hand, things in front happen very quickly.  How many seconds do you have between first detecting those two pedestrians and driving past their location?  You're going to need to do a lot of glancing to not miss the things this gizmos is intending you to not miss.

Perhaps you just stare at the display on the camera instead of the one out the window? I mean, we're talking night time conditions anyway.  :hmm:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Quote from: Zanza on July 05, 2013, 12:30:36 PM
@DGuller: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lUa6KR4nTeg#at=221
That doesn't answer my concern, though.  I realize that night vision gives you information that you don't have without it, but my concern is that it would be too taxing on the driver to split his attention between two views.  As this video shows, it's not really practical to drive through the night vision screen alone.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 05, 2013, 12:13:04 PM
Not on Languish it can't.

Maybe tmrw I'll post some of the vanity fair article about Europe and the us.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.