Roughing it in Australia- travel log from the shitty city of sydney

Started by Lettow77, July 02, 2013, 11:37:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2013, 10:41:57 PM
Lettow probably smells like ass something fierce.

Lettow, CdM is maybe on to something.  You are keeping up with personal hygiene while staying at internet cafes, right? :unsure:

I'm sure he's keeping himself to the hygiene standard imposed by Forrest on his troops :D
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Barrister on July 08, 2013, 02:41:02 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 07, 2013, 10:41:57 PM
Lettow probably smells like ass something fierce.

Lettow, CdM is maybe on to something.  You are keeping up with personal hygiene while staying at internet cafes, right? :unsure:

I'm sure the hand soap and the brown paper towels in the internet cafe's public restroom is doing him just fine.  Sometimes nobody even notices him rinsing out his shirt in the sink and using the hot air dryer.

Lettow77

I mentioned this before, but I will reiterate:

Being bastions of mercy and civilization, internet cafes have showers available. I of course shower quite regularly- although I have not yet found an internet cafe that does laundry, and this necessitates going to a coin laundrymat every week or so, which is no great trial.

Actually, showering is much harder here in Australia; the German Scientologist does not believe in the luxuriant 30 minute showers one might take in an internet cafe.

Edit: As to my goals, I think that's an important question. Obviously if I came here to get a CELTA certification, one goal is to obtain it- it would be disgraceful, to me, to fail or give up beforehand. Fear of the shame associate with failure is a traditional motivator.

Beyond that, I very much want a stable home life. I would like a private apartment of my own, with stable employment and a modest salary to live on. I want a Kotatsu, a nice tea set, and fast internet. This will fully satisfy all my goals for at least a year. In the long term, I would like to become fluent in Japanese, and start a family.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

11B4V

Quote from: Lettow77 on July 08, 2013, 04:53:34 PM
I mentioned this before, but I will reiterate:

Being bastions of mercy and civilization, internet cafes have showers available. I of course shower quite regularly- although I have not yet found an internet cafe that does laundry, and this necessitates going to a coin laundrymat every week or so, which is no great trial.

How hippyish
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Lettow77

My laptop came in! I have internet in Australia, and thus, freedom!

This is also the halfway day of the course. It will be much more pleasant from here on out. There is a new chapter of Otoyomegatari, and I picked up some pleasant taiwanese tea from a gentleman who didn't speak english. I have no lesson plan tomorrow; it will be a wonderful evening.

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Lettow77

The flight out is in less than 100 hours; I only have to bear things out.

I am worried about failing the course; so few people fail it that I couldn't bear the humiliation, to say nothing of how meaningless it would render this ordeal. I hope my fears have no foundation in reality, and try to convince myself they musn't.

This is in some ways the nadir of my time here, although it is so close to the end; Three assignments critical to my passing are due in six hours, although only two are done. The third nears completion and will be finished by the morning, so I will be up for at least 24 hours, it appears.

More concerningly, or perhaps less concerningly as it only indirectly relates to passing, I am feeling intense abdominal pain. I am not sure why, but suspects exist. I haven't defecated in what I believe is a few days, my diet is somewhat irregular, and I am feeling a very large, disconcertingly omnipresent amount of stress. I can ignore the pain, although it is severe, and in some respect welcome it as it helps keep me awake and is an appropriate thematic accompaniment to my present circumstances, but I am worried about it taking me out of productivity or having some serious consequences.

Still, I expect to finish my time in Australia before it finishes me, and will be on the mend once I escape to the land of tea and internet cafes.

(Naturally, i will be resuming my residence in an internet cafe for a time.)

The Brain

If the pain doesn't go away soon you should really have someone look at it. Easier said than done, I know.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Lettow77

Quote from: The Brain on July 21, 2013, 12:01:24 PM
If the pain doesn't go away soon you should really have someone look at it. Easier said than done, I know.

I should, I know. In a few hours I'll have access to an orange and some water, which is hoped will alleviate the situation a bit. The traditional family curative is cranberry juice, but I don't have much in the way of time to get any. Actual medical examination would be odiously expensive, I don't know where to go, and of course taking time off from the course is out of the question.

One of the perks of living in Japan I am looking forward to is going to a doctor and a dentist to get an appraisal and needed treatment for long-neglected ailments. I intend to look after my health once I am there.

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

alfred russel

Severe abdominal pain can be the sign of something serious that you can't wait 3 days to get treated. Go to the hospital, don't worry about the cost--I'm not sure how they can collect from you anyway.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014