Jane Austen 'waiting in wings' to feature on UK banknotes

Started by garbon, July 01, 2013, 05:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 06:38:59 PM
Oh and do me a favour, when Boris becomes our next PM, please don't lecture me on the genius of the man.  <_<

:lol: Boris is awesome.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 06:42:18 PM
Oh and do me a favour, when Boris becomes our next PM, please don't lecture me on the genius of the man.  <_<

:lol: Boris is awesome.

I was within 20 feet of him this weekend, listening to him speak, not that impressive, charming, funny, but overall he's a chancer.

But given Cameron's performance, I'd not be surprised to see Boris as the next Tory leader/PM.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

Here's a clue, 'we' choose who goes on our banknotes not you guys, some American do seem to have an idolised image of Churchill, like he's Washington's heir or something.

Just wait until we start a letter-writing campaign in West Midlands as to why they should vote Tory.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 06:53:52 PM
Here's a clue, 'we' choose who goes on our banknotes not you guys, some American do seem to have an idolised image of Churchill, like he's Washington's heir or something.

Just wait until we start a letter-writing campaign in West Midlands as to why they should vote Tory.

:D

But seriously, please do; it could be as effective as the Grandiane campaign.  :)

Josquius

I have no problem with Austen on the notes.
Churchill on the other hand... :bleeding:
It's just ridiculous, one of the criteria should be that the person is uncontroversial (suck it creationists) but what can be more controvercial than a racist, xenophobic, mass-murderer?
I'm surprised there isn't more of a campaign to stop it, you'd think the Asian community at the least would be aghast.
██████
██████
██████

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2013, 07:05:30 PM
It's just ridiculous, one of the criteria should be that the person is uncontroversial (suck it creationists) but what can be more controvercial than a racist, xenophobic, imperialist, mass-murderer?

Stay golden, Ponyboy.  Stay golden.

Razgovory

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 05:58:23 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 01, 2013, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
Who would be a better choice that hasn't ruled the country?

Florence Nightingale.
She was on them quite recently.

I think Austen's a great choice, certainly better than Churchill.
You cannot be serious. Other than Atlee, there is no figure in 20th century Britain who holds a candle to Churchill.

I don't get the Churchill idolization in this country.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Valmy

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Wow.  How ungracious.
I don't think the people on a banknote should be within living memory. Also it'll help us avoid the John Lennon £20.

Ah.  Well you did not say why Churchill was a poor choice :P
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2013, 07:58:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 06:07:55 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 05:58:23 PM
Quote from: fhdz on July 01, 2013, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2013, 05:38:48 PM
Who would be a better choice that hasn't ruled the country?

Florence Nightingale.
She was on them quite recently.

I think Austen's a great choice, certainly better than Churchill.
You cannot be serious. Other than Atlee, there is no figure in 20th century Britain who holds a candle to Churchill.

Yeah, I'm not being anti-Churchill just for the sake of it, but such a major historical figure deserves a more nuanced legacy/profile rather than mythology. 

Though I doubt many on this forum have an hagiographic view of him, but I think some kinds of transatlanticists of the John McCain ilk do.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2013, 07:58:37 PM

He hated Hitler and Stalin, what's not to love?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

jimmy olsen

It's just ridiculous, one of the criteria should be that the person is uncontroversial (suck it creationists) but what can be more controvercial than a racist, xenophobic, imperialist, mass-murderer?
That disqualifies just about all Prime Ministers from before 1960, it's an absurd standard.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 08:04:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not being anti-Churchill just for the sake of it, but such a major historical figure deserves a more nuanced legacy/profile rather than mythology. 

Though I doubt many on this forum have an hagiographic view of him, but I think some kinds of transatlanticists of the John McCain ilk do.

Sure, he drank like a fish, had a disassociated relationship with his parents in childhood, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But fuck man, he helped win the war.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

That disqualifies just about all Prime Ministers from before 1960, it's an absurd standard.

Not to mention Queen Elizabeth's shameful treatment of hispanic immigrants.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

HVC

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 06:40:17 PM
Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Wow.  How ungracious.
I don't think the people on a banknote should be within living memory. Also it'll help us avoid the John Lennon £20.
:x
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 08:04:14 PM

Sure, he drank like a fish, had a disassociated relationship with his parents in childhood, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But fuck man, he helped win the war.

I don't mean personal trivia, but policy on India and the end of Empire, but perhaps that can mostly be excused since he was at heart a Victorian. 

No quibbles about his leadership during the early war, indeed he insured it continued and went on to become a World War, rather than a disjointed series of great power wars.