Jane Austen 'waiting in wings' to feature on UK banknotes

Started by garbon, July 01, 2013, 05:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HVC

The English hate the English more then anyone else. Except maybe the Irish... and Scottish.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

mongers

Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2013, 08:56:42 PM
The English hate the English more then anyone else. Except maybe the Irish... and Scottish.

:hmm:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

CountDeMoney

It's true, man.  For a bunch of antisemites, you sure act Jewish.

HVC

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 09:06:42 PM
Quote from: HVC on July 01, 2013, 08:56:42 PM

:hmm:
you're right, I forgot the welsh :D. You guys just don't play well with neighbours.
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Razgovory

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2013, 08:06:29 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2013, 07:58:37 PM
I don't get the Churchill idolization in this country.

He hated Hitler and Stalin, what's not to love?

He has some nice things to say about both of them at certain times.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 08:17:15 PM
Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 08:04:14 PM
Yeah, I'm not being anti-Churchill just for the sake of it, but such a major historical figure deserves a more nuanced legacy/profile rather than mythology. 

Though I doubt many on this forum have an hagiographic view of him, but I think some kinds of transatlanticists of the John McCain ilk do.

Sure, he drank like a fish, had a disassociated relationship with his parents in childhood, yadda, yadda, yadda.  But fuck man, he helped win the war.

He meddled a lot often to the detriment of the war.  The Malaysian thingy could have gone better.  His biggest contribution was smoothing over US-UK relations and even Soviet-UK relations.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Josquius

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2013, 07:05:30 PM
It's just ridiculous, one of the criteria should be that the person is uncontroversial (suck it creationists) but what can be more controvercial than a racist, xenophobic, imperialist, mass-murderer?
That disqualifies just about all Prime Ministers from before 1960, it's an absurd standard.
Saying Brits are a superior race and brown people aren't too bright, in the 19th century when everyone was doing it- no big deal.
Saying it in the mid 20th century- even at the time that wasn't acceptable let alone today.
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 06:38:59 PM
Here's a clue, 'we' choose who goes on our banknotes not you guys

You can't be serious.  You've just cut yourself out of 95% of discussion topics on Languish.

The Brain

New Swedish notes are on the way, and it has been retardedly decided that only artists (in a broad sense) of the 20th century will be on them. The only exception of sorts is Dag Hammarskjöld.

The most ridiculous is opera singer Birgit Nilsson on the 500 SEK note. Really? If there had been any justice or non-retardism Anders Chydenius (18th century economist, political writer, MP, pioneer in the field of economic and political freedom) would have been on it.

They are all in living memory, and I have seen two of the people in the flesh (Astrid Lindgren and Ingmar Bergman).
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Gups

Quote from: Tyr on July 01, 2013, 11:13:46 PM

Saying it in the mid 20th century- even at the time that wasn't acceptable let alone today.

Sure it was. Black people ranked only just above the Irish in those days. Of course, the gap is much bigger in these more enlightened times.

The Brain

Quote from: Gups on July 02, 2013, 02:08:06 AM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 08:15:41 PM

Sure it was. Black people ranked only just above the Irish in those days. Of course, the gap is much bigger in these more enlightened times.

Gups

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 05:58:23 PM

I think Austen's a great choice, certainly better than Churchill.

Chruchill is on the next £5 note.

The Brain

Razgovory

Quote from: Gups on July 02, 2013, 02:08:06 AM

When was Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech?

Gups

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2013, 02:32:14 AM

When was Enoch Powell's Rivers of Blood speech?

Between the end of the Chatterley ban and the Jacksons first LP