Jane Austen 'waiting in wings' to feature on UK banknotes

Started by garbon, July 01, 2013, 05:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

A bit old in the news cycle but just heard of this.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2013/06/25/uk-britain-banknotes-austen-idUKLNE95O00U20130625

QuoteAuthor Jane Austen is "waiting in the wings" to become the next famous Briton to be honoured on the country's banknotes, outgoing Bank of England governor Mervyn King said.

The writer of 19th century classics such as "Pride & Prejudice", "Sense & Sensibility" and "Emma" is already a "reserve" figure whose image could be a clear candidate to replace that of naturalist Charles Darwin on the 10-pound note when his time is up, King said on Tuesday.

The announcement potentially defuses criticisms of a future lack of female figures on the currency, which have been levelled at the central bank since it said in April that wartime leader Winston Churchill would feature on the five-pound note from 2016, replacing prison reformer Elizabeth Fry.

Churchill and Darwin will complement economist Adam Smith and steam engine inventors Matthew Boulton and James Watt to complete the all-male line-up - other than the image of the Queen on the overleaf.

The monarch is on one side of each of Britain's four denominations of bank notes, while celebrated Britons take their turn for 10 to 20-year stints on the other side.

Austen would be a well-known and likely popular choice. Her novels of romance among the Regency gentry, spiced with sharp social comment, still regularly feature on bestseller and literature course reading lists, and have spawned numerous period-drama TV shows and film adaptations.

Historical women figures should be chosen as individuals rather than for their gender, King said at his final appearance as governor before parliament's Treasury Committee.

"One thing which we are quite determined to avoid is any suggestion that the five pound note in some sense be reserved for women," he said.

The notes featuring Fry would continue to circulate for some time and although the final decision as to the identity of the next figure would be one for the incoming governor, Canadian Mark Carney, it was unlikely that there would be a time when there were no females, King said.

"I think it is extremely unlikely that we should ever find ourselves in the position where there are no women among the historical figures on our banknotes.

"Jane Austen is quietly waiting in the wings."
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

garbon

Yeah why would they choose someone famous and popular? :angry:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Eddie Teach

Who would be a better choice that hasn't ruled the country?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

fhdz

and the horse you rode in on

CountDeMoney

That bitch better not wind up on prepaid debit cards.

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2013, 05:37:33 PM

By all means, lets put the spice girls there then.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Sheilbh

Quote from: fhdz on July 01, 2013, 05:46:12 PM
Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 01, 2013, 05:38:48 PM

Florence Nightingale.
She was on them quite recently.

I think Austen's a great choice, certainly better than Churchill.
Let's bomb Russia!

garbon

Quote from: Razgovory on July 01, 2013, 05:54:22 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 01, 2013, 05:37:33 PM

By all means, lets put the spice girls there then.

Perhaps one day they will be though at the moment, I'd suggest their cultural impact hasn't lasted long enough to judge.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 05:58:23 PM

Florence Nightingale.

You cannot be serious. Other than Atlee, there is no figure in 20th century Britain who holds a candle to Churchill.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Florence Nightingale.

Wow.  How ungracious.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2013, 06:10:27 PM

Wow.  How ungracious.

Well, in his defense, Shiv is gay.

mongers

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 06:07:55 PM

Florence Nightingale.

You cannot be serious. Other than Atlee, there is no figure in 20th century Britain who holds a candle to Churchill.

Here's a clue, 'we' choose who goes on our banknotes not you guys, some American do seem to have an idolised image of Churchill, like he's Washington's heir or something.

Oh and do me a favour, when Boris becomes our next PM, please don't lecture me on the genius of the man.  <_<
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Sheilbh

Quote from: jimmy olsen on July 01, 2013, 06:07:55 PMYou cannot be serious. Other than Atlee, there is no figure in 20th century Britain who holds a candle to Churchill.
Unless you're the Queen you should be dead a hundred years before you're on currency.

I wouldn't mind making an exception for Churchill, but in the 2040s.
Let's bomb Russia!

Sheilbh

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2013, 06:10:27 PM
Wow.  How ungracious.
I don't think the people on a banknote should be within living memory. Also it'll help us avoid the John Lennon £20.
Let's bomb Russia!