Main Menu

It's A Warzone Out There

Started by mongers, June 30, 2013, 11:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Damn that's bad  :(  :

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23123817

Firefighters die battling Arizona wildfire

At least 19 US firefighters have been killed battling a wildfire in central Arizona, local officials say.

They died while fighting the blaze threatening the town of Yarnell, about 80 miles (130km) north-west of Phoenix.

The fire started on Friday but later spread rapidly amid high heat, low humidity and windy conditions.

Arizona and other parts of the western United States - including California - have recorded near-record temperatures over the weekend.

"It has been confirmed that 19 wildland firefighters have lost their lives on the Yarnell Hill fire Arizona," the US Wildland Fire Aviation said in a statement, according to Reuters.

The agency said it was asking "for prayers for the families and friends of these brave men and women".

Some 200 firefighters are battling the fast-moving wildfire and about 50 houses have reportedly been evacuated.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Admiral Yi

I wonder if fire jumpers carry something with them to use if they don't want to burn to death.

jimmy olsen

They have fire proof tents for last resort, but this fire was to fierce and overwhelmed them.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Yeah, they carry those fire-proof deployable shelters, they look like fire-proof sleeping bags, to jump into in case the fire changes direction and overcomes them. 

Stops fire, but not asphyxiation.  That's how those forestry firefighters died 20 years ago in Colorado.

mongers

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 02:01:18 AM
I wonder if fire jumpers carry something with them to use if they don't want to burn to death.

:hmm:

Nothing will adequately protect them from the extreme dangers they sometimes face.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Caliga

:huh:

I think he meant something akin to a cyanide pill. :mellow:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

DGuller

Quote from: mongers on July 01, 2013, 01:01:11 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 01, 2013, 02:01:18 AM

:hmm:

Nothing will adequately protect them from the extreme dangers they sometimes face.
:lol:

Siege

Warzones have bad people shooting all kinds of deadly things at you trying to kill you.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Yikes, the only member of the unit that survived had left to get a recovery vehicle.   Talk about survivor's guilt.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2013, 01:36:46 PM
Warzones have bad people shooting all kinds of deadly things at you trying to kill you.

And wildfire is God throwing deadly fire and smoke trying to kill you.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Siege

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2013, 07:13:14 AM
Quote from: Siege on July 01, 2013, 01:36:46 PM

And wildfire is God throwing deadly fire and smoke trying to kill you.

True. But a warzone does not make.
War is a human activity.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Siege

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on July 02, 2013, 03:04:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2013, 03:00:14 PM
Ants wage war.

No they don't.
They hunt.

They actually attack other colonies of the same species, take prisoners, and use them as slaves.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017