Today's "Let's See How We Can Fuck Over the American Worker" Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, June 30, 2013, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Neil

You know, I forgot about Jacob.  He's usually good to stick up for women.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Jacob

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2013, 01:44:46 PM
You know, I forgot about Jacob.  He's usually good to stick up for women.

I'm eminently forgettable  :(

garbon

Quote from: Neil on July 03, 2013, 01:30:31 PM
Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2013, 12:30:17 PM
I'm assuming you guys are waiting on me to freak out over the use of the word "cunt". Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I don't really care. It's just a word. Not a very nice word, culturally speaking, but still just a word.

Saying it in an interview, however, is just plain stupid. Hiring the guy after he does so? Yeah, more ignorant yet.
I was hoping for a little anger over the idea of hiring a man who said bad things about women.  Or, if I was really lucky, just hiring a man when there were unemployed women out there.  You're the closest thing to a gender warrior we have, other than the occasional member of the seduction community.  And then I suppose there's CdM, whose experiences with women have crushed his spirit like so much riff-raff at Tienanmen Square.

Aren't I the one who always gets knocked for my bit of feminist studies?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Siege

By reading this thread, I have come to the cuntclussion I am unhireable.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2013, 01:54:39 PM

You're right where you're supposed to be, Kosher Kitten.

grumbler

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 01:34:33 PM
Yeah, I'd never hire someone who used language like that in an interview. Fuck that.

Maybe you wouldn't, but a professional who was looking out for the interests of his company may.  When you are really hiring (rather than just talking about it on the internet) you realize that every candidate has strengths and weaknesses.  This guy would be low on my list of "otherwise qualified" candidates, for sure, because of the risk of him dragging down the team he was assigned to, but if my company needed his skills and there weren't other technically-qualified candidates, I'd hold my nose and hire him.  To do would be a betrayal of my responsibilities.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 01:59:44 PM

You're right where you're supposed to be, Kosher Kitten.

Yeah, but I'm getting old and tired.
I'm not sure I'm gonna be able to complete my 20 years.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2013, 02:02:21 PM

How many more you need?

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 03, 2013, 02:02:21 PM

Sure you can, just find a desk.  :contract:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

You probably had one too many cuntcussions in the line of duty.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2013, 02:02:05 PM
Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 01:34:33 PM
Yeah, I'd never hire someone who used language like that in an interview. Fuck that.

Maybe you wouldn't, but a professional who was looking out for the interests of his company may.  When you are really hiring (rather than just talking about it on the internet) you realize that every candidate has strengths and weaknesses.  This guy would be low on my list of "otherwise qualified" candidates, for sure, because of the risk of him dragging down the team he was assigned to, but if my company needed his skills and there weren't other technically-qualified candidates, I'd hold my nose and hire him.  To do would be a betrayal of my responsibilities.

When he freaks out one day and the company gets sued for sexual harassment in fostering a hostile work environment because Mr. DBA discusses his pig cunt ex-wife in the break room, that explanation will look swell during your deposition when you're asked about the sexually derogatory and misogynist references you witnessed during his pre-employment interview.

Looking out for liability is also in the interests of the company, and one of your responsibilities which you betrayed by hiring him.

Jacob

Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2013, 02:02:05 PMMaybe you wouldn't, but a professional who was looking out for the interests of his company may.  When you are really hiring (rather than just talking about it on the internet) you realize that every candidate has strengths and weaknesses.  This guy would be low on my list of "otherwise qualified" candidates, for sure, because of the risk of him dragging down the team he was assigned to, but if my company needed his skills and there weren't other technically-qualified candidates, I'd hold my nose and hire him.  To do would be a betrayal of my responsibilities.

True enough, in the abstract. There's always a hypothetical scenario where any given red flag would still leave a particular candidate as the best possible of the available candidates.

Personally, and a more practical level, I've found that hiring for team fit and culture (assuming team culture includes getting shit done) provides the best results. And generally constructive team cultures don't benefit from having someone introduced to them who is overflowing with bitterness to the point that they don't respect common social boundaries. I'm much more concerned with that aspect of it than the use of the word "cunt" - it's a fine word provided it's used in the right context; a job interview, however, is not the right context.

As an aside (I'm not saying this applies to Cal's hire) - I don't buy into the whole "being socially offensive is acceptable in tech staff" thing. In my experience, nine times out of ten tech guys who are billed as being super smart to the point that it excuses being actively offensive are actually mediocre or worse when you look at what they bring to the overall project (and frequently even when you look just at their own tasks in isolation). I'd much rather take a chance on keen, bright new guy with little experience than on a crusty experienced fucker who thinks his skills excuse being dicks to his colleagues.

merithyn

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 02:27:54 PM
Quote from: grumbler on July 03, 2013, 02:02:05 PMMaybe you wouldn't, but a professional who was looking out for the interests of his company may.  When you are really hiring (rather than just talking about it on the internet) you realize that every candidate has strengths and weaknesses.  This guy would be low on my list of "otherwise qualified" candidates, for sure, because of the risk of him dragging down the team he was assigned to, but if my company needed his skills and there weren't other technically-qualified candidates, I'd hold my nose and hire him.  To do would be a betrayal of my responsibilities.

True enough, in the abstract. There's always a hypothetical scenario where any given red flag would still leave a particular candidate as the best possible of the available candidates.

Personally, and a more practical level, I've found that hiring for team fit and culture (assuming team culture includes getting shit done) provides the best results. And generally constructive team cultures don't benefit from having someone introduced to them who is overflowing with bitterness to the point that they don't respect common social boundaries. I'm much more concerned with that aspect of it than the use of the word "cunt" - it's a fine word provided it's used in the right context; a job interview, however, is not the right context.

As an aside (I'm not saying this applies to Cal's hire) - I don't buy into the whole "being socially offensive is acceptable in tech staff" thing. In my experience, nine times out of ten tech guys who are billed as being super smart to the point that it excuses being actively offensive are actually mediocre or worse when you look at what they bring to the overall project (and frequently even when you look just at their own tasks in isolation). I'd much rather take a chance on keen, bright new guy with little experience than on a crusty experienced fucker who thinks his skills excuse being dicks to his colleagues.

:yes:

Said much better than I. :hug:
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Jacob on July 03, 2013, 02:27:54 PM

You have more luxury to pick and choose than somebody hiring for dull business applications. Though I think it's more that tech people are expected to be offensive without meaning to, due to social awkwardness.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

CountDeMoney

Christ, no wonder we're up to our asses in lawyers in this country.  You're all a bunch of liability magnets.