Today's "Let's See How We Can Fuck Over the American Worker" Thread

Started by CountDeMoney, June 30, 2013, 05:39:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Caliga

Quote from: dps on July 02, 2013, 10:04:48 PM
Hiding part of their income from there spouses is probably the most common reason.
:yes:

When I worked in recruiting and had divorced consultants, it was common for them to try to play games with their payment methods for that reason.... especially if they were supposed to be paying child support.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Caliga

I had this one dude who, in his initial interview, referred to his ex-wife not as his ex-wife but as "the pig" and "the cunt".  I'm not even sure why his ex-wife even came up.... he had to have brought it up as we never asked people about their personal lives. :hmm:

Anyway, I hired him.  Dude had some mad leet DBA skillz. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

merithyn

Quote from: Caliga on July 03, 2013, 06:44:49 AM
I had this one dude who, in his initial interview, referred to his ex-wife not as his ex-wife but as "the pig" and "the cunt".  I'm not even sure why his ex-wife even came up.... he had to have brought it up as we never asked people about their personal lives. :hmm:

:blink:

But an edgy credit score will keep them out of a job??
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on July 03, 2013, 09:03:14 AM
Meri, you sure are focused on bad credit scores...

:mellow:

Having lived with a bad credit score, I'm well-aware of how badly that affects so many aspects of your life. It's not just for a mortgage or a credit card. You can miss out on a job, getting an apartment, having the ability to open a checking (or savings) account. It permeates so many aspects of your life. The hard part is that once you have bad credit, it's really, really hard to get better credit.

You can't get a good paying job because they won't hire you, so you take a lower paying job to make ends meet, which doesn't look good on your resume because why would you take such a low-paying job? (This was before the big recession, before so many others had done something similar just because they couldn't get any job at all.) On top of that, by taking the lower-paying job, it's harder to pay the bills you have. Even if you could get a credit card, you don't want to bother with it because what if you can't pay that bill one month? Now you've just made the situation worse, rather than better. All of this is assuming that you can find a bank that will give you a bank account at all, much less a credit card.

You're golden if you're already in a decent apartment when your credit score tanks, but if you have to move, you're in deep shit. I owned a house but lost it during the whole divorce thing. So, when it was time to start looking for a new place, I was turned down repeatedly due to my credit score before a nice Asian lady took pity on me and offered me a place. (Having owned for the previous six years, I didn't have a reference that could vouch for me.)

So yeah, I'm a little focused on bad credit scores. By the way, that's not something I read about or saw in a report. That's actually what I went through due to poor credit.

Admiral Yi

I was more interested in your reaction to Cal giving a job to the dude who called his ex a cunt.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 09:42:54 AM
I was more interested in your reaction to Cal giving a job to the dude who called his ex a cunt.

I'm just amazed by that. I mean, seriously? That's how he acts in an interview and you give him a job?

Berkut

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

The Brain

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2013, 09:44:32 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 09:42:54 AM

I'm just amazed by that. I mean, seriously? That's how he acts in an interview and you give him a job?

An ability to read the audience and adapt to it is pretty positive.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

merithyn

Quote from: Berkut on July 03, 2013, 09:52:13 AM
DBAs are weird creatures.

What are DBAs?

EDIT: Nevermind. Database Admins. *heads off for more coffee*

Ed Anger

Quote from: Caliga on July 03, 2013, 06:44:49 AM

:cheers:

Bros before hos
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

merithyn

I'm assuming you guys are waiting on me to freak out over the use of the word "cunt". Unfortunately, that's not going to happen. I don't really care. It's just a word. Not a very nice word, culturally speaking, but still just a word.

Saying it in an interview, however, is just plain stupid. Hiring the guy after he does so? Yeah, more ignorant yet.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: merithyn on July 03, 2013, 12:30:17 PM
Hiring the guy after he does so? Yeah, more ignorant yet.

Cal's saying he turned out to be a good worker.  Now sure how came to the conclusion that hiring him was ignorant.

merithyn

Quote from: Admiral Yi on July 03, 2013, 12:33:57 PM

Cal's saying he turned out to be a good worker.  Now sure how came to the conclusion that hiring him was ignorant.

Did he? I thought he just said that they hired him because he had good DBA skills. I don't remember anything about how he was as a worker.