Like I'm in the twilight zone

And (I always feel like)
(Somebody's watching me)
And I have no privacy

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 03:54:37 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 30, 2013, 02:41:49 PM
And that makes it better somehow? I don't want your or my government to have such information.

Save the umbrage for the private sector, which is doing a lot more with your personal information than any government could.
Not really. Private sector companies will only ever have a much smaller dataset from much less sources than what a government agency can assemble. Google will have its own data, but they can't easily combine that with data from Apple, AT&T, VISA, Citibank, the social security office, the IRS etc. That's something only a government agency can ever do. And Google is profit-oriented, whereas the security agencies operate on huge budgets, so Google will have much less resources it can commit to tracking particular persons. I would even expect that private sector companies like Google take privacy regulations more serious than a lot of government agencies - where laws might by less strict anyway.

I am surprised in the newly found trust Americans all of sudden seem to have in their government, which is completely different from the notion that I usually get from threads on gun rights or so. I live in a country that had the Stasi and Gestapo in living memory, so I don't trust the government with that kind of information.

Zanza

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 01, 2013, 09:10:35 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2013, 09:05:42 AM
Yi has a point; regardless of what US voters think, this is becoming a first order diplomatic fiasco, and is not only likely to have impact on government-to-government cooperation (like the trade talks) but on the ability of leading US companies to operate effectively in Europe.

Shame the German intelligence community is going to lose access to their ally's fantastic intelligence asset.
Good.

Zanza

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 30, 2013, 05:40:13 PM
Maybe we should make public the literally dozens of times we've caught members of French and German intelligence bugging American offices and spying on America? It's kind of shitty for countries that spy on us all the time to act like this just because some pissant leaker spilled the beans on us, I'd be inclined to release details about their own spying to shut them up.
Yes, you should.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2013, 10:22:28 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 30, 2013, 03:54:37 PM
Save the umbrage for the private sector, which is doing a lot more with your personal information than any government could.

Not really. Private sector companies will only ever have a much smaller dataset from much less sources than what a government agency can assemble. Google will have its own data, but they can't easily combine that with data from Apple, AT&T, VISA, Citibank, the social security office, the IRS etc. That's something only a government agency can ever do. And Google is profit-oriented, whereas the security agencies operate on huge budgets, so Google will have much less resources it can commit to tracking particular persons. I would even expect that private sector companies like Google take privacy regulations more serious than a lot of government agencies - where laws might by less strict anyway.

Yeah, really. 
They sell it, to one another and other parties, they compile consumer and customer profiles on everything from income to spending habits, and to a greater extent than any DMV reject in the US government could;  they have zero accountability.  You've never worked in the American private sector, or you'd know they don't give two shits about privacy regulations when it comes to making a buck.

QuoteI am surprised in the newly found trust Americans all of sudden seem to have in their government, which is completely different from the notion that I usually get from threads on gun rights or so. I live in a country that had the Stasi and Gestapo in living memory, so I don't trust the government with that kind of information.

It's not trust, but a confidence in their traditional incompetence;  that's what protects us from our government.  It's not as smart as you think it is. 

If only it the US government was a competent as the Stasi.  At least you had Marcus Wolf;  we only have the FBI.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2013, 10:22:45 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2013, 09:05:42 AM
Yi has a point; regardless of what US voters think, this is becoming a first order diplomatic fiasco, and is not only likely to have impact on government-to-government cooperation (like the trade talks) but on the ability of leading US companies to operate effectively in Europe.

Shame the German intelligence community is going to lose access to their ally's fantastic intelligence asset.
Good.

What's German for "Whaaaaa"?

Valmy

I find it sort of disturbing these days that generally the German people value freedom more than we do.  Granted they have good reason to I guess given their history.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Minsky Moment

. Google will have its own data, but they can't easily combine that with data from Apple, AT&T, VISA, Citibank, the social security office, the IRS etc.

Just need a contract
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Maybe so but if the cost to Merkel is the vote of a single Pomeranian grenadine sipper, she won't pay.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: Valmy on July 01, 2013, 10:53:30 AM
I find it sort of disturbing these days that generally the German people value freedom more than we do.  Granted they have good reason to I guess given their history.
That's my biggest disappointment in this whole story.  I never realized how prevalent pliant bydlos are in US.

jimmy olsen

:ph34r:
http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/01/19229897-germany-to-us-bugging-friends-is-unacceptable?lite
QuoteJuergen Trittin, parliamentary leader and candidate for chancellor of the Greens, Germany's third biggest party, told German television it was an outrage that the 30-year-old leaker should be seeking asylum in "despotic" countries.

"Someone like that should be protected," he said. "He should get safe haven here in Europe because he has done us a service by revealing a massive attack on European citizens and companies. Germany, as part of Europe, could do that."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Sheilbh

Quote from: Zanza on July 01, 2013, 10:23:51 AM
Yes, you should.
The UK spies on all their European partners, so do the French. I don't understand the outrage at spies doing their jobs :mellow:

Quote"Someone like that should be protected," he said. "He should get safe haven here in Europe because he has done us a service by revealing a massive attack on European citizens and companies. Germany, as part of Europe, could do that."
The only way he should be in Europe is hiding in the Ecuadorian Embassy <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

derspiess

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 01, 2013, 06:42:15 PM
The UK spies on all their European partners, so do the French. I don't understand the outrage at spies doing their jobs :mellow:

The outrage is due to naive but understandable assumptions. 
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Sheilbh

I remember watching a BBC documentary on the great offices of State with a few European foreign ministers complaining that British Foreign Secretaries tended to be suspiciously well-briefed on their partners' negotiating points at every summit :lol:

One thing that annoys me about this whole situation is how much Putin is obviously enjoying it <_<
Let's bomb Russia!

dps

I am surprised in the newly found trust Americans all of sudden seem to have in their government, which is completely different from the notion that I usually get from threads on gun rights or so. I live in a country that had the Stasi and Gestapo in living memory, so I don't trust the government with that kind of information.

I think you missed the point I made earlier.  We don't like the government datamining the communications of Americans citizens.  We don't really give a shit what they do to foreigners.