Women want me. Men want to be with me.

The Brain

The Brain

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 04:48:12 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2013, 04:44:54 PM
Care enough? It's the economy, stupid.

Friendly wager?

I don't feel like we will be sure to have accurate information. Otherwise I'd love to.

HVC

Quote from: Zanza on June 30, 2013, 07:32:44 AM
I wonder why Germany of all European countries was singled out. More observation than Russia, same level as China...
Never trust the Germans :contract: :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

OttoVonBismarck

Logging metadata from regular EU citizens is a new thing, but I find it interested the leaders in the EU Parliament are crying foul so much about us bugging their offices. The French are doing the same thing. Maybe we should make public the literally dozens of times we've caught members of French and German intelligence bugging American offices and spying on America? It's kind of shitty for countries that spy on us all the time to act like this just because some pissant leaker spilled the beans on us, I'd be inclined to release details about their own spying to shut them up. That doesn't address the phone/internet stuff, but they really do need to shut up about the "normal" spying.

It's basically a fact that aside from a few very close countries (the U.S./U.K for example I don't believe actively spy on each other), even closely allied countries spy on one another not for strategic/military purposes but to get a leg up on understanding decision making and things of that nature. The French have a very effective spying network that is active in basically all the major democracies, and any number of books written by retired intelligence types will attest to this.

Razgovory

Quote from: Syt on June 30, 2013, 03:43:27 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 30, 2013, 03:02:05 PM
Quote from: Zanza on June 30, 2013, 02:41:49 PM
And that makes it better somehow? I don't want your or my government to have such information.

Then that's something you should take up with your government.

The Merkel regime (or any party, really) isn't the right addressee for that. They consider the interwebs as a newfangled thing that is the realm of nerds and pedophiles. "The internet is a new territory for everyone."

That's not really our problem.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Tonitrus

What's the expiration date on being an enemy of humanity anyway?

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 04:00:14 PM
I think we will end up not doing this stuff anymore in some countries, like Germany.

Well, that would be a start.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Iormlund

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 30, 2013, 11:18:16 AM
R/C aircraft enthusiasts are weird.

Not the first time either. Last year they arrested some here with a similar plan. Can't see the appeal to them though. There are much cheaper alternatives for indiscriminate carnage.

dps

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 30, 2013, 04:43:47 PM
Quote from: The Brain on June 30, 2013, 04:40:09 PM
Why?

Irate citizens giving their own governments and Obama shit.

I think we might considerably scale back datamining of communications within the US because of voter outrage, but frankly I extremely doubt that American voters in any numbers will give a shit about us datamining foreign communications.

And the idea that we don't spy on our allies and our allies don't spy on us is incredibly naive.  Sure, the unwritten rules as to how such spying is conducted are considerably different than than the rules about how we spy on, say, Iran or North Korea, but the idea that it doesn't happen is just silly.

The Minsky Moment

Yi has a point; regardless of what US voters think, this is becoming a first order diplomatic fiasco, and is not only likely to have impact on government-to-government cooperation (like the trade talks) but on the ability of leading US companies to operate effectively in Europe.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on July 01, 2013, 09:05:42 AM
Yi has a point; regardless of what US voters think, this is becoming a first order diplomatic fiasco, and is not only likely to have impact on government-to-government cooperation (like the trade talks) but on the ability of leading US companies to operate effectively in Europe.

Shame the German intelligence community is going to lose access to their ally's fantastic intelligence asset.