News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Arab Spring, Round 2

Started by Savonarola, June 28, 2013, 01:24:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CountDeMoney

A military helicopter just flew over the square.  Crowd went bonkers.  Must be carrying Bruce Springsteen.

Viking

Apparently the revolution will be televised.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2013, 12:16:47 PM
When does it start?

garbon

He's offering a coalition gov't?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2013, 12:19:02 PM
Quote from: Viking on July 03, 2013, 12:16:47 PM
When does it start?

It started 5pm Cairo time earlier on today.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

DGuller

Damn it, I'm missing it.  :mad: :(

Tamas

Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2013, 12:20:19 PM

The military just about confirmed that they are taking over. To restore democracy of course. Pro-Mursi people claim it is a military coup. Anti-Mursi people claim it was him who couped (they have a point if you remember the whole ordeal with the constitution and such), and no democracy is being restored.

Liep

A boring military coup, just a bunch of happy Egyptians waving flags. :angry:
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

I remember 20 years ago, when I came home from school, and it turned out that I missed most of the run-up to this:

I'm getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'm about to miss something like this again.  :(

Liep

Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2013, 12:35:41 PM
I'm getting a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach that I'm about to miss something like this again.  :(

I doubt you'll feel like you missed much, both because you don't have the same connection to Egypt and because it's just excessive flagweaving atm.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

KRonn

Quote from: Tamas on July 03, 2013, 12:28:35 PM
Quote from: garbon on July 03, 2013, 12:20:19 PM

The military just about confirmed that they are taking over. To restore democracy of course. Pro-Mursi people claim it is a military coup. Anti-Mursi people claim it was him who couped (they have a point if you remember the whole ordeal with the constitution and such), and no democracy is being restored.

"Interesting" to see where this all may go now.

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on July 03, 2013, 12:58:00 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 03, 2013, 12:35:41 PM

I doubt you'll feel like you missed much, both because you don't have the same connection to Egypt and because it's just excessive flagweaving atm.

I hate that. I only need the one, thank you very much.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Siege

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 03, 2013, 11:54:16 AM
Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on July 03, 2013, 11:51:46 AM
the raping is a big part of it.
Some of the Syria-dickheads that left Belgium to go fight there were caught on tape boasting abuot the 30 or so women they raped and murdered.

Raping is a part of any aspect of warfare, film at 11.   It's just not the principal reason to pick up arms, though;  it's a fringe benefit.

You are looking at this with your western mindset. You take sex for granted, and so see it as just a "perk". For good muslim boys, sex will only come after marriage, ussually around the age of 30, since you have to have an income to maintain your bride before her parents give it to you. So lets number this thing:

1- In muslim societies, marriage occurrs late for males and early for females.
2- There is no sex outaside marriage. You have to be married for sex. There is no hooking up at the club.
3- Most mulims, over 90% from my experience, can only afford one wife, despite islam being a polygamist religion.
4- If you are a muslim, and you don't like your wife, you cannot divorce her. You can accusse her of adultery and kill her, but you would have to prove it if you are outside of Aghanistan and Pakistan. It is kind of hard to prove adultery on a married woman. Young unmarried girls are easy to condemn of adultery because they just look at the virginity thing. If she ain't virgin, she dead. And if she is virgine and the family wants her dead, they can accussed her of dishonoring the family and kill her anyway. Pretty rough.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

Also, in dealing with a muslim wife you have to account for the wife's family. In general, it is not easy to get rid of a muslim wife.

Therefore, rape of infidels is not only a perk, and not only for unmarried men, but the driving force behind strife and recruitment.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Liep

Military guy announces he takes power: more flags and more fireworks at the Tahrir square. Someone's going to lose an eye or a hand or something, no safety goggles anywhere.