News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

NBA Thread

Started by crazy canuck, June 27, 2013, 10:41:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: sbr on December 25, 2013, 09:00:37 PM
There are also way too many 4 games in 5 days stretches (usually on the road)

Hey the Spurs, who are ancient age-wise, got hit with a $250,000 fine for daring to rest their 4 top players for the forth of one of these 4in5 last year.  Duncan, Parker, Ginobili, and Danny Green flew to Miami, then hopped straight onto the next flight to SA.  The Spurs d-league lineup then nearly beat Miami before finally losing by 5 in the last couple of minutes. 

DNP: OLD.   :D  David Stern is a tool. 

Eddie Teach

Quote from: sbr on December 25, 2013, 07:05:07 PM
If the NBA really wants to make a significant change to improve the product they need to knock about 16 games off of the season.

They need to make the game more accessible to normal height people. :)
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Grey Fox

These t-shirts uniform. It's very weird.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

MadBurgerMaker

Yeah, I'm not a fan of those either. 

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on December 25, 2013, 09:00:37 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on December 25, 2013, 07:29:17 PM
Quote from: sbr on December 25, 2013, 07:05:07 PM
If the NBA really wants to make a significant change to improve the product they need to knock about 16 games off of the season.
Why? The season has been that long since the beginning hasn't it? Stamina is a part of the game.

Why am I not surprised you disagree?

It isn't about what-has-always-been-done or stamina.  Playing 66 games all across the country in just over 6 months is a fine test of stamina.

It is about the product on the floor.  The 7 weeks of NBA basketball before Xmas is close to a joke; the season is long enough that the games don't matter all that much and it is too much of a grind for the players to real care and play hard every game.  Anyone who actually watches early season NBA games knows the type of effort that is typical of most teams.  Anyone that actually watches a lot of NBA ball also can notice the very distinct change that happens around Xmas/the first of the year.  That is when the teams that are true contenders start to play serious every night and you start to see a serious decline in the silly nights where Milwaukee beats Miami (but they don't stop completely).

There are also way too many 4 games in 5 days stretches (usually on the road) and again, anyone who watches these games knows what the product on the floor looks like on the fourth of these games, even for the best teams.  If they even have the physical ability to play that game they are usually so mentally/emotionally burnt out it doesn't matter. The better team my still win, but the games are almost always poorly played and the product suffers.

It will never happen because the owners will never give up the revenue, and there are enough "fans" who can't see past the bridge of their own nose to realize more is not always better.

Agreed.  Except for the last part of your last sentence.  I dont think it has to do with not seeing past their noses.  In markets with good teams fans need to buy full season tickets in order to see the good games.  So they put up with the terrible games in the first part of the season to take in the good games later on.

Ed Anger

Quote from: Grey Fox on December 25, 2013, 10:17:59 PM
These t-shirts uniform. It's very weird.

And the Knicks wearing those godawful Orange ones.  :yucky:
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

sbr

First, the playoffs this year so far have been bananas!  I would still prefer to see the first round go back to 3/5 but there does seem to be a chance of an upset or two, what with both #1 seeds and the #2 and #3 in the West going to game 7's.

Second, watching (and caring) about NBA playoffs still drives me insane, the officiating is sooo bad.  I came to the realization during the Blazers/Rockets series that is is probably impossible for 99.9% of NBA games to be officiated well (unless they add 7 more refs so 1 ref can watch 1 player the entire game), the best we can hope for is fair and consistent.  I still don't think they are meeting that mark either.

Third, Go Blazers!! Damian Lillard amazing game-winner vs Rockets (2014 NBA Playoffs GM6)

crazy canuck

Quote from: sbr on May 03, 2014, 03:20:13 PM
Second, watching (and caring) about NBA playoffs still drives me insane, the officiating is sooo bad.

Agreed.  Watching the Raptors game today was very frustrating.  I am a bit surprised Pierce wasnt called for a foul on that last shot.  Sure he got the block but he took out the shooters body to get it.  But that is a call a ref might not give to you.  What drove me insane was when Williams picked up his sixth foul but the refs called it on another player who was merely in the vacinity and didnt even touch the Raptor player.

Grey Fox

I see that Refs have an hardtime being consistent in any sport.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Grey Fox on May 05, 2014, 08:43:00 AM
I see that Refs have an hardtime being consistent in any sport.

The refs have no difficulty being consistent in the NBA.  They consistently gave the benefit to the Nets. 

Grey Fox

That hurts much more.

jimmy olsen

Great speech. Very humble, a great tribute to his teammates and his mother.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wac3CtzcLO4
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

MadBurgerMaker

Hey the Spurs are back in the Finals.  :)

sbr

I'll bet you ten internet dollars that they lose again.

MadBurgerMaker

I have lots of internet dollars to spend:

E:   I wonder how bad Parker's ankle injury is.  Missed the whole second half today, it seems (I only watched half the 4th and OT).