Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on June 28, 2013, 02:09:12 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 28, 2013, 02:06:49 PM
Do let them get to you. They are just mad because their hysteria is for not.

Leaving aside the hysteria angle, I don't think anyone should be happy that their state is going to spending money fixing a problem that by most accounts does not exist or barely exists.

This is something I've been wondering about.  Defenders of the voter ID law say that it's "Free", like they fall out of the sky.  Someone, somewhere is paying for it.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 02:47:29 PM
Oh yeah, *now* you start worrying about spending :lol:

Nah, it's more like he's wondering about you not worrying about spending.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Razgovory

How it's going to be be paid for never occurred to you?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 02:58:59 PM

Find out for me how much it costs & then we'll discuss.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:05:59 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 02:58:59 PM

Find out for me how much it costs & then we'll discuss.

Uh, try again.  That's impossible since it will be an ongoing cost.  There is no end date to people getting the "free" IDs.  Early costs will be several million dollars in every state I've looked at.

derspiess

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 03:24:20 PM
Uh, try again.  That's impossible since it will be an ongoing cost.  There is no end date to people getting the "free" IDs.  Early costs will be several million dollars in every state I've looked at.

Okay, cost per year.

Jacob

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:41:12 PMOkay, cost per year.

Aren't you the one who's supposed to be the fiscal conservative, concerned about ill defined budget items and the foolishness of implementing programs without considering their cost?

derspiess

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 03:58:14 PM

Aren't you the one who's supposed to be the fiscal conservative, concerned about ill defined budget items and the foolishness of implementing programs without considering their cost?

Yessir.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:41:12 PM

Okay, cost per year.

Unknown.  The bills I looked at didn't allocate funds.

Razgovory

Quote from: Jacob on June 28, 2013, 03:58:14 PM

A small price to pay for Republican victory.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 28, 2013, 04:05:32 PM
Quote from: derspiess on June 28, 2013, 03:41:12 PM

Okay, cost per year.

Unknown.  The bills I looked at didn't allocate funds.

So we dont know.  :rolleyes:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".