Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 05:53:16 PM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 10:40:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
That's exactly what it does.  The previous offenders complained about the burden of monitoring.

No it doesn't.  Legislation is all in the public domain.  You can look up any proposed changes you want to South Carolina's voting regulations.

The feds were monitoring the legislation and putting obstacles in the way of "voter reform" bills because of previous bad practices of those states.   I don't see how "Original Sin" fit into this.

Raz, I'm totally stumped on how this post relates to the one you quoted.

That's okay, I have no idea what you were on about with "original sin".
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:15:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2013, 06:58:51 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 06:52:20 PM
So, your saying black people are too lazy to get a picture ID card?

Well... when the state government start shutting down DMVs in predominantly Democratic neighbourhoods, it does look like they're trying to make it as hard as possible for some people.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/07/31/the-gop-and-voter-disenfranchisement/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/25/walker-to-close-10-dmv-offices-after-passing-voter-id-law/

Then of course, there's the logistics of processing time - how many people are lacking proper ID and how long will it take them to actually get it given current processing time?

So your saying it's just too hard, so dont do it.

The ID is no big deal. It should be required.

And neither was the poll tax or the literacy test.   If you were white.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 06:59:13 PM

:rolleyes:

Hey, it's your crowd.  Don't start getting all sensitive now.

11B4V

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 07:30:01 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:15:09 PM
Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2013, 06:58:51 PM

Well... when the state government start shutting down DMVs in predominantly Democratic neighbourhoods, it does look like they're trying to make it as hard as possible for some people.

http://jonathanturley.org/2011/07/31/the-gop-and-voter-disenfranchisement/

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2011/07/25/walker-to-close-10-dmv-offices-after-passing-voter-id-law/

Then of course, there's the logistics of processing time - how many people are lacking proper ID and how long will it take them to actually get it given current processing time?

So your saying it's just too hard, so dont do it.

The ID is no big deal. It should be required.

And neither was the poll tax or the literacy test.   If you were white.

Ah, those are still ineffect then, eh? Has nothing to do with the ID.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

CountDeMoney

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:15:09 PMThe ID is no big deal. It should be required.

It's the vote, not a felony traffic stop, Buford.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2013, 07:09:24 PM
So if what my link says is correct - and corroborated by a source that's not compromised in your eyes by being too liberal - then you accept that voter suppression is happening?

If we define voter suppression as at least person being demotivated to vote, then sure, we have voter suppression.  We have voter suppression now, without these Jim Crow laws.  There are currently people who don't vote because they can't be bothered to register, or they'd rather watch Wheel of Fortune than go to the polling station, or whatever.  So I have no doubt that at least one person will not bother to vote because they don't want the hassle of getting a free ID.

And that has no connection to what your goofy link says.

The effects of the voter ID laws and gerrymandering (and assorted administrative decisions such as closing DMVs or shortening their hours in minority areas) is to disproportionately minimize the votes of black and latino voters. Thus we have voter suppression regardless of intent, agreed?

As I said, it was a minor semantic quibble.  Gerrymandering is not designed to reduce turnout, it's designed to reduce the impact of votes that are cast.

weee!

11B4V

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2013, 07:39:13 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:15:09 PMThe ID is no big deal. It should be required.

It's the vote, not a felony traffic stop, Buford.

It is and nothing wrong with providing ID. You have to provide ID before doing a lot of things. To vote should be one of them.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:04:10 PM

What is wrong with getting the ID?

If you haven't seen one of the million posts here that speaks directly to that, you're not going to pay attention now.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on June 25, 2013, 07:30:34 PM

Hey, it's your crowd.  Don't start getting all sensitive now.

I've lots of people under my tent. And no, gun nuts are not my crowd.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 07:45:32 PM

If you haven't seen one of the million posts here that speaks directly to that, you're not going to pay attention now.

and nothing is wrong with it.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:47:48 PM

Not sure what "it" is in your sentence. I would say that there is something wrong with asking boneheaded questions, if that's what you meant.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 07:48:45 PM

Not sure what "it" is in your sentence. I would say that there is something wrong with asking boneheaded questions, if that's what you meant.

The ID, Nancy.

garbon

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:49:29 PM

The ID, Nancy.

You're wrong and that's all the time left on today's show, folks.

11B4V

Quote from: garbon on June 25, 2013, 07:50:10 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:49:29 PM

The ID, Nancy.

You're wrong and that's all the time left on today's show, folks.

No, you're wrong and liberal frothing be damned.  :lol:

Razgovory

Quote from: 11B4V on June 25, 2013, 07:36:19 PM

Ah, those are still ineffect then, eh? Has nothing to do with the ID.

Has everything to do with voter ID as it's simply a different method for the same end.  Yi claims to be uninterested in motives, but you have to ask yourself, if the sponsors of a bill for voter ID said, "We wish to pass this law so that blacks and Latinos will vote less and we can get elected more often", would you still support it?