Supreme Court: Section 4 of Voting Rights Act Unconstitutional

Started by Kleves, June 25, 2013, 09:32:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ulmont

The Arizona law that was overturned required proof of citizenship to register to vote.

The wrinkle there is that there is a federal form that all states are required by federal law to accept to register to vote in federal elections.

Te issue was if Arizona could actually require the additional information from a person using the federal form.

The Texas voter id law - id at the polls - ismore like Georgia's, which iirc was found ok as long as there was provision to give out free photo ids.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 10:40:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
That's exactly what it does.  The previous offenders complained about the burden of monitoring.

No it doesn't.  Legislation is all in the public domain.  You can look up any proposed changes you want to South Carolina's voting regulations.

The feds were monitoring the legislation and putting obstacles in the way of "voter reform" bills because of previous bad practices of those states.   I don't see how "Original Sin" fit into this.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

garbon

Gotcha. Though in actual effect they likely do something similar as in both case you need proof of citizenship it's just in Texan case, you need it so that you can get an ID to then vote.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

ulmont

The goal in both cases is to make it as annoying as possible for one to vote, yes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 05:45:40 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 10:40:43 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on June 25, 2013, 10:36:54 AM
That's exactly what it does.  The previous offenders complained about the burden of monitoring.

No it doesn't.  Legislation is all in the public domain.  You can look up any proposed changes you want to South Carolina's voting regulations.

The feds were monitoring the legislation and putting obstacles in the way of "voter reform" bills because of previous bad practices of those states.   I don't see how "Original Sin" fit into this.

Raz, I'm totally stumped on how this post relates to the one you quoted.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 05:27:47 PM
Does democracy only get destroyed when federal legislation gets overturned, or does it get destroyed when state legislation is overturned as well?
Don't play dumb, Yi.  You know just as well as anyone what it's really about, so spare me the routine where you're defending a weak pretext to the death.  At the end of the day, democracy is about citizens voting, and we all know benefits from having less laws to deal with while trying to suppress the wrong votes.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2013, 05:55:16 PM
Don't play dumb, Yi.  You know just as well as anyone what it's really about, so spare me the routine where you're defending a weak pretext to the death.  At the end of the day, democracy is about citizens voting, and we all know benefits from having less laws to deal with while trying to suppress the wrong votes.

There are times when I have patience for your hysteria and times when I don't.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 05:59:33 PMThere are times when I have patience for your hysteria and times when I don't.

Two questions for you, Yi:

Do you genuinely think that there's a significant issue with voter fraud that requires action to correct in the short term?

Do you genuinely think that these voter ID laws are not motivated by a desire to keep traditionally Democratic leaning voters away from the polls?

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 05:59:33 PM
Quote from: DGuller on June 25, 2013, 05:55:16 PM

There are times when I have patience for your hysteria and times when I don't.
You're a better man than I am.  I never have patience for insulting levels of intellectual dishonesty, no matter how politely delivered.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on June 25, 2013, 06:02:17 PM
Two questions for you, Yi:

Do you genuinely think that there's a significant issue with voter fraud that requires action to correct in the short term?

Do you genuinely think that these voter ID laws are not motivated by a desire to keep traditionally Democratic leaning voters away from the polls?

1.  I don't know.  Everyone has heard the jokes about dead people voting in Chicago.  Are they true?  Are they a thing of the past?  I have certainly not seen a lot of evidence to suggest it is a major, current problem.

2.  I don't know.

Now my question for you: how are these questions related to my post and/or this thread?  Certainly you're not operating under the assumption that the USSC ruled that voter suppression is a wonderful thing, are you?

mongers

This strikes me as a kind-hearted decision, just think of all those young 20s somethings in the early 1960s fighting for and then winning the 'right' to vote in their own country.

I bet they enjoyed their new found participation in the democratic process, but now the ones still living are in their 70s and 80s, some in nursing homes, they probably don't want to be bothered with the task of voting nowadays, having to dress up, arrange for someone to take them to the voting station etc.

I just seems rather thoughtful of the likes of Texas to set about relieving them of this now onerous task; And they're probably grateful that their own  grandchildren won't have to go through all of the hassle of voting when they get to maturity too.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Neil

I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

QuoteThe Center for American Progress is a progressive public policy research and advocacy organization. Its website states that the organization is "dedicated to improving the lives of Americans through progressive ideas and action".[2] The Center presents a liberal[3] viewpoint on economic issues. It has its headquarters in Washington, D.C.

Ah, never mind. Liberal Fox News basically.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".