DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phillip V

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 02, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
Quote from: Berkut on July 02, 2013, 04:13:19 PM
I can't recall the last time my opinion of someone swung so dramatically from one extreme to another.

Yeah, my original opinion of him was that he broke the law and if captured he should be punished. But I also thought he was in the Ellsberg mold, doing something he believed was right and all that, so I was sort of half hoping he found safety in Hong Kong or Iceland or wherever.

Now he just sounds like another Assange, I think it's still important to have a public debate about the sort of programs he exposed, but I can think that and still think Snowden is basically a whiny little attention whoring bitch, not to mention a massive hypocrite.

Millennials ;)

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2013, 05:20:10 PM
Quote from: derspiess on July 02, 2013, 05:14:35 PM
I tuned into Glenn Beck

Why would you do that? His shtick got boring years ago.  :hmm:

He still entertains me when he and his two sidekicks go into smartass mode.  When he gets too emotional and/or preachy I can't stand him.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on July 01, 2013, 01:13:38 PM
Can you be missing if you're not missed?  :hmm:

I missed him.  I don't want everyone to come to the realization that I'm the dumbest guy here.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

DGuller

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2013, 05:54:42 PM

I missed him.  I don't want everyone to come to the realization that I'm the dumbest guy here.
Don't worry, no one caught on yet.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2013, 05:59:51 PM

I didn't add anything to this quote. :yeah:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Jacob

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on July 02, 2013, 06:09:40 PM
Quote from: DGuller on July 02, 2013, 05:59:51 PM

I didn't add anything to this quote. :yeah:

That's really dumb, Wiggin.

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

Admiral Yi

mongers

Quote from: Razgovory on July 02, 2013, 05:54:42 PM

Don't worry Raz, I've got your back.   :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Liep

France denied a Bolivian plan entry into its airspace because of fear that Snowdon might be on board. Going a little crazy, no? Of course, if any country would try to smuggle Snowdon out of Moscow...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-23156360
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Caliga

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 02, 2013, 05:03:37 PM
Yeah, my original opinion of him was that he broke the law and if captured he should be punished. But I also thought he was in the Ellsberg mold, doing something he believed was right and all that, so I was sort of half hoping he found safety in Hong Kong or Iceland or wherever.

Now he just sounds like another Assange, I think it's still important to have a public debate about the sort of programs he exposed, but I can think that and still think Snowden is basically a whiny little attention whoring bitch, not to mention a massive hypocrite.
I pretty much expect to be reading about how he mysteriously got shot sometime in the near future. :sleep:

That said, I expected someone to off Assange years ago and that still hasn't happened. :blush:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

OttoVonBismarck

Well, Assange overstates his importance to the United States. I'll note that all he's hiding from in the Ecuadorean Embassy in London is most likely a police interview in Sweden and then probably them deciding they do not have enough evidence for a trial. Even if he was somehow convicted of what amount to he said/she said crimes (and seem revolve around whether he surreptitiously removed a condom unbeknownst to his willing sexual partners during coitus) the penalties in Sweden appear to be basically less harsh than spending over a year in a small Embassy that doesn't even have any grounds and is just in the middle floors of an office building and not even equipped for permanent residents. The dude sleeps in an office on an air mattress and has to be careful about even stepping out onto balconies because of the theoretical legality of a tactical team swapping down from above and lifting him out.

There's zero evidence whatsoever the United States even wants Assange, we've never asked for him, the only people who have have been legislators and other low level officials spouting off angrily at the news. Most of them Republican and thus not running the DoJ and certainly not running the White House. Assange perpetuates his "exile" in that embassy to keep himself as a cause celebre for the kind of retards that would celebrate that sort of grandstanding.

I actually now suspect Snowden will become "Moscown airport terminal dude" and live there indefinitely.