DoJ to Snowden: Hope your 15 minutes were worth it, pal

Started by CountDeMoney, June 21, 2013, 06:17:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2013, 07:12:32 AM

Details and screenshots here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jun/08/nsa-boundless-informant-global-datamining

Unfortunately, that tells us very little about what data is being collected and how.
What is being referenced in this article is a database tool used to review and analyze all the data that NSA collects.  It doesn't explain what the sources are. 
The citation to particular quantities of data is inclusive of all NSA electronic data collection, and thus is inclusive of the telephone metadata Yi talking about.
Again, the important question is what else is the NSA is collecting and how and where are they doing it?  The Guardian pieces don't answer that question.

The "97 billion pieces per month" of information seems like an awful lot but keep in mind over 150 billion emails are sent every DAY.  Then you have to add to that social media updates and comments, blog posts and comments, public media sites and all updates and comments, etc. 

The Guardian document shows the NSA collecting almost 13 billion pieces per month from Jordan, a country with only 2.5 million internet users.  That would suggest that the 2.9 billion pieces  collected from the US (250 million users) is much more selective.  Also the 2.9 billion pieces includes data we know to be drawn from the 3 billion daily phone calls made by Americans each day.

So the numbers of pieces of data, however seemingly impressive, tell us very little.  We need to know what this data consists us and how it was obtained.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Berkut

I love how they throw around this big numbers as if they were meaningful in any way at all.

Hell, why not quit screwing around, and lets define a piece of data as a single 8bit character. ZOMG THEY ARE COLLECTED BAJILLIONS OF PIECES OF DATA EVERY WEEK!
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Tamas on June 25, 2013, 06:48:31 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 06:45:56 AM
Quote from: Syt on June 25, 2013, 12:34:06 AM
I'm a bit surprised at the lack of outrage about the data collection itself, both in the U.S. and the UK. I guess a lot of people are indifferent because the internet and electronic communications don't feel "real", unlike a bug in your phone, a camera in front of your house or someone opening your letters.

I haven't decided yet what I think about the programs, but I do find it telling that all the people expressing outrage about it seem to be mischaracterizing the actual workings.

In what way?

Quote from: Bluebook
"The ACLU issued a press statement today claiming that the US government is recording and storing all phone, email and text-message conversations. The source is an anonymous source" --it doesnt really fly, does it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Bluebook

You are aware that not only metadata but actual content is stored "for three days"...right?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Bluebook on June 25, 2013, 12:13:24 PM
You are aware that not only metadata but actual content is stored "for three days"...right?

Seriously?  Every phone call ever made is recorded, then the recording is kept for 3 days?  :huh:

The Minsky Moment

Again, the documents provided to the Guardian prove the impossibility of the claims being by Bluebook and others.  If the government was collecting that much data, it would far exceed the 2.9 billion pieces per month being reported.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

This guy Snowden works for Obama.
He came out with this nonsense to get the public eye away from the real scandal, Bengazi.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

crazy canuck

Quote from: Siege on June 25, 2013, 01:09:13 PM
This guy Snowden works for Obama.
He came out with this nonsense to get the public eye away from the real scandal, Bengazi.

Its good to have you back Hans.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Bluebook on June 25, 2013, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 24, 2013, 06:09:02 PM
What is unrealistic about that?  Clearly there are sympathetic ears in Congress
It is not realistic to expect that the system that has created this intelligence gatherning operation, and gone to long lengths to keep it secret, would allow you to testify against it in Congress. Manning is a good example of what sort of treatment you can expect if you leak one word of this to a congressman.

Huh?
Manning never approached a member of Congress.  He went to Julian Assange.

I don't think you understand what is being proposed here - it is bringing the information privately to a member of Congress.  There is no shortage of Rand Pauls or Jerrold Nadlers who would have been interested to hear this.
--Joan Robinson

Siege

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 25, 2013, 01:15:22 PM
Quote from: Bluebook on June 25, 2013, 11:29:54 AM
Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 24, 2013, 06:09:02 PM
What is unrealistic about that?  Clearly there are sympathetic ears in Congress
It is not realistic to expect that the system that has created this intelligence gatherning operation, and gone to long lengths to keep it secret, would allow you to testify against it in Congress. Manning is a good example of what sort of treatment you can expect if you leak one word of this to a congressman.

Huh?
Manning never approached a member of Congress.  He went to Julian Assange.

I don't think you understand what is being proposed here - it is bringing the information privately to a member of Congress.  There is no shortage of Rand Pauls or Jerrold Nadlers who would have been interested to hear this.

Yep. Manning and Snowden are traitors, doesn't matter which way you look at them.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Maximus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 25, 2013, 11:18:31 AM
I attribute the lack of outcry over this to the "common Joe" understanding that what the government is doing isnt at all like tapping his phone or opening his letters.  If that was the case I think we would likely see a large and general hue and cry.

It is not the same, it is worse... potentially. The sheer volume, diversity and ease of collection makes even metadata much more powerful than wiretaps and letter reading.

The flip side is that, because it is so easy, it being collected doesn't mean it is being used.

It is a matter of concern. It is probably necessary at some level, but needs some really strict oversight. Unfortunately those questions seem to be getting drowned by the media concern over the running man.

As for him, screw him. He lost any hero cred/whistleblower status when he fled the country.

Maximus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 12:14:44 PM

Seriously?  Every phone call ever made is recorded, then the recording is kept for 3 days?  :huh:

I don't know whether it is or isn't, but it wouldn't be hard to do.

Iormlund

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on June 25, 2013, 11:47:45 AM
So the numbers of pieces of data, however seemingly impressive, tell us very little.  We need to know what this data consists us and how it was obtained.

What those numbers tell us is they simply cannot store everything yet.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Maximus on June 25, 2013, 01:33:48 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 25, 2013, 12:14:44 PM

I don't know whether it is or isn't, but it wouldn't be hard to do.

I believe you but that is a bit hard for me imagine as a possibility