Was Malthus ever poor?

Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

Legbiter

I think Malthus sampled all the more enjoyable touchstones of life without delaying too long at any one of them and always kept moving on at the right time.

So far.  :ph34r:

Life's a marathon, not a sprint, he can still eat himself into a plethora of Western diseases, sit still long enough for it to kill him and otherwise fail to keep active and on the ball. As do we all, mind you. :contract:

Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 01:52:39 PM
CC and Biscuit: did either of you test the job market after receiving your bachelors'?  I suspect not.  In Biscuit's case, obviously not.

Yes, between undergrad and lawschool I took a year off.  In that year I worked two jobs - at the same time.  I worked from 4 am to 8 am at the airport sorting incoming and outgoing materials for Loomis.  From 9-5 I worked I worked a security job.  The Loomis job was unionized which paid the equivalent of minimum wage for a full time job.  The security job was minimum wage.  Sometimes I was able to pull a few more hours at Loomis after the security job.

After the jobs I had done through highschool and this, whenever I heard people complain about how hard law school was I just had to laugh.  Kind of like when I hear how hard Malthus thinks he had it.

Malthus

Quote from: Jacob on June 24, 2013, 01:34:51 PM

So yeah - like Malthus I have a experienced what it's like to live on a tiny budget for years, and in one way you can definitely call that  being poor. But I agree with CC and Merithyn that it's very different from growing up poor; carrying with you the skills, attitudes, assumptions, and benefits you get from coming from a family of academics, civil servants, and generally comfortably middle class people puts you in a very different place from someone who grew up in poverty even if you are sharing the same standard of living at a particular point in time.

This "argument" is all on CC's side, though. I'm not disagreeing with him, or Meth, that their experience was different. Clearly there is a vast difference between growing up poor and not growing up poor.

It is them trying, for some reason unknown to me, to argue I'm wrong when I said that, after university, I was poor.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Malthus

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 02:05:34 PM
After the jobs I had done through highschool and this, whenever I heard people complain about how hard law school was I just had to laugh.  Kind of like when I hear how hard Malthus thinks he had it.

Please point out where I was complaining about having it hard.

Oh, you can't? You just made that shit up? Deary me.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

crazy canuck

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:09:21 PM

Claiming that one was poor when they were not is making shit up.  Or at the very least a sign that one suffers from a misunderstand of what it is to be poor beyond some statistical analysis made, as Yi correctly points out, on the basis of questionable assumptions.

If you still dont get the point I am not sure what else I can say.

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 01:52:39 PM
CC and Biscuit: did either of you test the job market after receiving your bachelors'?  I suspect not.  In Biscuit's case, obviously not.

Wouldn't have been strictly legal for six years without some shenanigans (constituting fraud.)

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:08:25 PMThis "argument" is all on CC's side, though. I'm not disagreeing with him, or Meth, that their experience was different. Clearly there is a vast difference between growing up poor and not growing up poor.

It is them trying, for some reason unknown to me, to argue I'm wrong when I said that, after university, I was poor.

I view (and I think CC does too) low income being distinct from poverty. Real poverty is primarily perpetuated by having no safety net, poor guidance from parents (who themselves lacked opportunities in life and don't understand the available opportunities), poor access to prestigious schools, and none of that really applies to a kid raised in the middle/upper middle class who works a few unproductive years after undergrad making flower pots.

crazy canuck

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 24, 2013, 02:16:03 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:08:25 PMThis "argument" is all on CC's side, though. I'm not disagreeing with him, or Meth, that their experience was different. Clearly there is a vast difference between growing up poor and not growing up poor.

I view (and I think CC does too) low income being distinct from poverty. Real poverty is primarily perpetuated by having no safety net, poor guidance from parents (who themselves lacked opportunities in life and don't understand the available opportunities), poor access to prestigious schools, and none of that really applies to a kid raised in the middle/upper middle class who works a few unproductive years after undergrad making flower pots.

You put it better than I did.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 24, 2013, 02:12:33 PM
Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 02:09:21 PM

Claiming that one was poor when they were not is making shit up.  Or at the very least a sign that one suffers from a misunderstand of what it is to be poor beyond some statistical analysis made, as Yi correctly points out, on the basis of questionable assumptions.

If you still dont get the point I am not sure what else I can say.

He's right though that you picked an odd tack when you mentioned that he was complaining about how hard he had it. I don't recall Malthus ever doing that.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 02:17:32 PM
He's right though that you picked an odd tack when you mentioned that he was complaining about how hard he had it. I don't recall Malthus ever doing that.

CC's point seems to be that Malthus never earned the right to use the word poor.

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 02:19:20 PM

CC's point seems to be that Malthus never earned the right to use the word poor.
:yes:

crazy canuck

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 02:19:20 PM

More or less.  This all started when Malthus claimed to have been poor in the other thread.  I pointed out that the advantages of his birth meant the opposite.  Indeed if Malthus was poor we certainly have a challenge figuring out a meaningful definition for the word.

Ed Anger

I have formally started the process to demote DG back to stinking commie. The charge is formenting class warfare.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Admiral Yi

How much was minimum wage at the time you were schlepping clay Malthus?

crazy canuck

Quote from: Ed Anger on June 24, 2013, 02:23:24 PM
I have formally started the process to demote DG back to stinking commie. The charge is formenting class warfare.

Its funny how the protaganists in this discussion have been Malthus and I and yet DG has taken all the heat for Malthus was a rich kid camp.  :D