Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

Malthus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2013, 09:52:43 AM
What Languish needs now is a new member who has dragged himself up from the slums of Calcutta to the mighty heights of call centre operative. I would imagine that such a person would have short shrift for the claims of former or current poverty of any of us.

Sure, by third-world standards this whole debate would be hilarious.  :D In Canada in particular, no-one is "really" poor.*

*Some exceptions for Native Canadians may apply.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Josephus

Well there is a lot of poverty in Canada, not just with natives, but unlike in India, we do have social programs to help them out. Well we had really good social programs in the past, but now they're just passable.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2013, 07:26:36 AM
The verdict is in:  Malthus, the jury of your peers concluded that you were never poor.  I'm sorry.  :(

Better be careful, or a jury of your peers might make you a Canes fan.  :ph34r:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Josephus on June 24, 2013, 10:05:58 AM
Well there is a lot of poverty in Canada, not just with natives, but unlike in India, we do have social programs to help them out. Well we had really good social programs in the past, but now they're just passable.

I'm sceptical about the extent of claimed poverty in first-world countries. In the UK it is claimed that there are millions, but the overwhelming majority of these people have homes, access to clean water, electricity and enough cheap food to make them fat.

Now these people do have my sympathy, apart from anything else it can be rather boring being broke and being excluded from the various activities most of us do without a thought. But it is simply not in the same league as living in a Nairobi shanty town or Calcutta slum.

Admiral Yi

First world poverty is defined in relative terms.  People should not confuse that concept of poverty with absolute poverty.

DGuller

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on June 24, 2013, 10:12:07 AM
Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2013, 07:26:36 AM
The verdict is in:  Malthus, the jury of your peers concluded that you were never poor.  I'm sorry.  :(

Better be careful, or a jury of your peers might make you a Canes fan.  :ph34r:
:yeahright: I have no peers here.  You people are beneath me.  ^_^

Malthus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 24, 2013, 10:26:12 AM
First world poverty is defined in relative terms.  People should not confuse that concept of poverty with absolute poverty.

Yup, it is generally defined as falling below some line of earned income. Where that line should be drawn leads to a lot of debate, generally about relative costs of living in various places and the like. Usually they take "family" income into account, which makes sense. 

What it doesn't include, is exclusions based on extended family circumstances. Your typical liberal-arts-degree-young-adult-dishwasher-from-middle class-family is still defined as "poor" if he or she falls below that line, in spite of the fact that causes CC and DG conniptions, and in spite of the fact he or she lives like unto a god compared with your average Calcutta scavenger.  ;)
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

garbon

Actually I was thinking, great, there are no poor people in America! Now that the war on poverty is over, we can focus on more important issues. ^_^
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Neil

Quote from: DGuller on June 24, 2013, 10:28:24 AM
:yeahright: I have no peers here.
This part you got right, filthy Slav. :mad:
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

lustindarkness

If my dad pawned his wedding ring to buy groceries after stretching out what little food we had that week, were we poor? :unsure: I started working at 15 years old when I found out he did so. We never knew we were poor I guess. We were never homeless, never went hungry, just lived in a very restricted budget.

BTW, one of his favorite sayings translates to: The day that shit is worth gold, the poor will be born without an asshole.  :lol:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Richard Hakluyt

Yes, but the problem with relative poverty is where are the lines to be drawn?

In the UK it is defined as having a household income of less than 60% of the median household income. When incomes fell in the recession the rate of poverty also fell because so many benefit-dependent households crept above that 60% line. Interestingly my household counts as "in poverty" as the two houses, capital gains from my sharedealing, undistributed profits from my wife's business and cash savings are immaterial for the purposes of the definition  :hmm:

Which is why I voted "Yes" to the poll question. In a hopelessly subjective area he said he was poor for a few years. I believe him, if he felt he was poor then he was, who are we to quibble? After all, it drove him into training as a blood-sucking lawyer  :D

garbon

Quote from: Malthus on June 24, 2013, 10:35:26 AM
What it doesn't include, is exclusions based on extended family circumstances. Your typical liberal-arts-degree-young-adult-dishwasher-from-middle class-family is still defined as "poor" if he or she falls below that line, in spite of the fact that causes CC and DG conniptions, and in spite of the fact he or she lives like unto a god compared with your average Calcutta scavenger.  ;)

Would you consider yourself typical?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Quote from: garbon on June 24, 2013, 10:35:49 AM

Actually I was thinking, great, there are no poor people in America! Now that the war on poverty is over, we can focus on more important issues. ^_^

Why, from these threads I have learned:

- You can't be poor if your parents aren't

- you can't be poor unless you have eaten nothing but ramen noodles for months (and were glad to get even them)

- you can't be poor if you use drugs, because drugs are a luxury and poor people can't afford luxuries

- you can't be poor unless you live in a crackhouse (presumely those crackheads aren't themselves poor - see point above)

It's all so complex, but the sum is that basically no-one, or very few, in North America are really poor. Yay! Problem solved. :D

There I was, thinking all that was necessary is to earn too little money ...

garbon

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2013, 10:41:37 AM
Which is why I voted "Yes" to the poll question. In a hopelessly subjective area he said he was poor for a few years. I believe him, if he felt he was poor then he was, who are we to quibble? After all, it drove him into training as a blood-sucking lawyer  :D

I feel that I'm the Queen of the Night.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on June 24, 2013, 10:41:37 AM
Yes, but the problem with relative poverty is where are the lines to be drawn?

I have long argued in favor of ditching relative definitions of poverty and using absolute definitions instead.