Was Malthus ever poor?

Started by DGuller, June 21, 2013, 03:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Was Malthus ever poor?

Yes
No
Maybe, sort of.  I guess it depends...

Jaron

It's a matter of taste. I am certainly enjoying my current lifestyle, but compared to my parents I am quite poor. Compared to some people on Languish, I am quite poor. Compared to how I was doing a year or two ago, I am far wealthier than I was.

In comparison, while Malthus may not have been impoverished, he knew he wasn't earning and living up to his potential.

END of story. Thread closed.

*strut*
Winner of THE grumbler point.

garbon

Quote from: Jaron on June 23, 2013, 12:14:48 PM
It's a matter of taste. I am certainly enjoying my current lifestyle, but compared to my parents I am quite poor. Compared to some people on Languish, I am quite poor. Compared to how I was doing a year or two ago, I am far wealthier than I was.

Yes, your post does sound like something a poor person would say.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2013, 11:32:14 AM
Ah, now we begin the phase wherein people compete to see how offended they can be because others don't agree with them!

*pops popcorn*

I am waiting for the phase when Grumbler contributes something worthwhile.

garbon

Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM
Quote from: grumbler on June 23, 2013, 11:32:14 AM
Ah, now we begin the phase wherein people compete to see how offended they can be because others don't agree with them!

*pops popcorn*

We can't all have his lifespan. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2013, 01:27:19 PM

:mellow:

OttoVonBismarck

I think we can all agree poor people are terrible.

garbon

The Brain

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on June 23, 2013, 02:17:01 PM
I think we can all agree poor people are terrible.

Doesn't settle the issue. Many terrible people are not poor.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

PDH

Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2013, 01:56:32 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on June 23, 2013, 01:45:45 PM

We can't all have his lifespan. :(

:D
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

Jaron

Quote from: Admiral Yi on June 23, 2013, 02:07:56 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 23, 2013, 01:27:19 PM

:mellow:

Those east coast blue bloods have no tolerance for the nouveau riche.  :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

Josephus

I didn't know CC got a basketball scholarship. Cool. I know so little about you all. :D
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

The Brain

Quote from: Josephus on June 23, 2013, 05:27:12 PM
I didn't know CC got a basketball scholarship. Cool. I know so little about you all. :D

What do you know about me?

Josephus

Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

HVC

Quote from: Josephus on June 23, 2013, 05:53:25 PM
Nothing. :(
there's many a sheep that wished they didn't know either :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

The Brain