The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

Siege

About OvB's cousin's fight:

I really don't understand why people would fight other than in war, to death.
What's the point of crossing a few punches? It is not deathly. The worst you can get is a black eye or a broken nose.
I really don't get the point of fist fights. It doesn't fix anything.
Is this supposed to be like paintball or something?

derspiess

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 09:08:14 AM
But at least he can enjoy dealing with the very long, very expensive wrongful death civil lawsuit for the next several years.

Not to mention a federal civil rights trial, courtesy of your pal Holder.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

OttoVonBismarck

I thought DoJ declined to get involved?

Anyway, @ Siege, you are very, very stupid. That needs to be said in first.

Secondly, a fist fight is typically based on machismo often combined with drinking. It's typical of lower brow individuals and young men, and not terribly uncommon in those groups. As Dalton said in the seminal 1980s classic Road House "nobody wins a fight." I have a lot of experience from my misspent youth in that sort of foolish endeavor, and I will say the key mistake my cousin made was thinking a fight was like something from TV where once you've won the good fight you shake hands and go home. In my experience if you actually knock someone down and they don't bring you down with them, you make sure they don't get back up. That doesn't mean you kill them, but it means they stay down til you've left, and if they try to get up you kick the shit out of them til they stay down.

derspiess

Honest question to Seedy:  Given the evidence and testimony that has been presented during this case, do you think a guilty verdict for second degree murder is appropriate?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 09:28:24 AM
Honest question to Seedy:  Given the evidence and testimony that has been presented during this case, do you think a guilty verdict for second degree murder is appropriate?

2nd degree is tough considering what's on the jury's plate, but I don't see any reason why manslaughter shouldn't be out of the picture, even with the "Stand Your Ground" bullshit.  There's enough evidence there to void that claim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 09:25:12 AM
But at least he can enjoy dealing with the very long, very expensive wrongful death civil lawsuit for the next several years.

I don't think DOJ would get involved with this specific case, but if it's good enough for the LAPD, it's always good enough for LAPD wannabes.  You want to play the game like the big boys, you get to play the whole game.

Razgovory

Quote from: derspiess on July 10, 2013, 09:25:12 AM

Awww, wouldn't that be a shame.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

OttoVonBismarck

Quote from: CountDeMoney on July 10, 2013, 09:33:28 AM2nd degree is tough considering what's on the jury's plate, but I don't see any reason why manslaughter shouldn't be out of the picture, even with the "Stand Your Ground" bullshit.  There's enough evidence there to void that claim.

QuoteOverview of Florida Voluntary Manslaughter Laws

Florida state laws establish the criminal offense of manslaughter when a homicide, the killing of a human being, does not meet the legal definition of murder. Manslaughter, unlike murder, does not require evidence of the defendant's premeditation or "depraved mind" with disregard for human life; instead, the state requires proof of either voluntary manslaughter or involuntary manslaughter.

Voluntary manslaughter describes a homicide intentionally committed while in the midst of a provocation. The prosecutor must show a sudden, unexpected event or circumstance serving as a provocation. As a result of the provocation, the defendant must have felt a temporary anger, heat of passion, or emotion that immediately resulted in an intent to kill or an intent to commit the act that resulted in the victim's death.

I think that seems the easiest fit for Zimmerman's actions, but I still think given the evidence the prosecution won't be able to beat his self-defense argument unless the jury is strongly tilted towards conviction as a predisposition or is swayed by emotional testimony from family. I've said all along Zimmerman's actions are an example of a bad thing that is probably not going to result in a conviction at trial. I think several of the jurors admitted being familiar with/involved with guns and one had a CCW, which doesn't bode well for the prosecution IMO.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 10, 2013, 09:45:17 AM
Voluntary manslaughter describes a homicide intentionally committed while in the midst of a provocation. The prosecutor must show a sudden, unexpected event or circumstance serving as a provocation. As a result of the provocation, the defendant must have felt a temporary anger, heat of passion, or emotion that immediately resulted in an intent to kill or an intent to commit the act that resulted in the victim's death.

Zimmerman: These assholes they always get away
Operator: Are you following him?
Zimmerman: Yeah
Operator: We don't need you to do that

Case closed.

QuoteI think that seems the easiest fit for Zimmerman's actions, but I still think given the evidence the prosecution won't be able to beat his self-defense argument unless the jury is strongly tilted towards conviction as a predisposition or is swayed by emotional testimony from family. I've said all along Zimmerman's actions are an example of a bad thing that is probably not going to result in a conviction at trial. I think several of the jurors admitted being familiar with/involved with guns and one had a CCW, which doesn't bode well for the prosecution IMO.

6 out of 6 soccer moms agree:  a dead black kid is just a dead black kid.

Kleves

The prosecution would still have to overcome Zimmerman's self-defense claim in a manslaughter case. With the evidence they have, I don't see how they could do that.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

Capetan Mihali

He's no O.J., man: I forget if his defense lawyers are pro bono, but if not, I figure he and his family are pretty much "judgment proof" right now; if so, what's he worth? $10k?  And somehow I don't see a big book deal in his future.  Nothing hugely glamorous about "how I confronted a high schooler, lost a fistfight with him, shot him, and lived to tell the tale."
"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Siege

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on July 10, 2013, 09:27:50 AM

Anyway, @ Siege, you are very, very stupid. That needs to be said in first.
Yeah, well. I know that.

Secondly, a fist fight is typically based on machismo often combined with drinking.
Machism is extremely retarded as I understand people do, like showing up what they don't have, or humiliating females, or talking trash. I was taught since I was a kid that machismo was a negative trait that made men commit mistakes.

I have a lot of experience from my misspent youth in that sort of foolish endeavor, and I will say the key mistake my cousin made was thinking a fight was like something from TV where once you've won the good fight you shake hands and go home. In my experience if you actually knock someone down and they don't bring you down with them, you make sure they don't get back up. That doesn't mean you kill them, but it means they stay down til you've left, and if they try to get up you kick the shit out of them til they stay down.
Still don't get it. You are creating a dangerous enemy inside your walls, so to speak. Why to fight at all, when you will leave a guy alive laying on the ground which will wake up the next day and pick up a gun and come and get you and your family?
I personally, do not fight inside the borders of my country.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on July 10, 2013, 10:40:14 AM
Machism is extremely retarded as I understand people do, like showing up what they don't have, or humiliating females, or talking trash. I was taught since I was a kid that machismo was a negative trait that made men commit mistakes.

And you call yourself a Spaniard.  :rolleyes:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

OttoVonBismarck

Were you born an adult Siege? Young men are stupid. There is no greater mystery here.