The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Minsky Moment

grumbler I'm impressed that you've reviews every document and every page of transcript in the case.  Very diligent.  Although I'd be more impressed were it not for the fact that the only evidence you cite of Zimmerman's supposed belief that is life was in danger was a self-interested statement from a witness that never testified.  It may surprise you, but not everyone may view that as conclusive as you do.  Especially where there was quite a lot of evidence presented that Zimmerman's injuries were not significant, evidence that might lead some who are not grumbler to conclude that Zimmerman's supposed belief was either fake or not reasonable.   I'm also surprised to hear that you never saw any evidence that Zimmerman suspected that Martin was casing the neighborhood for a robbery.  I didn't review every piece of evidence as carefully answer diligently as you, but I seem to recall something about that.

Here are two conclusions I draw.
One is the one you drew but seem curiously unable to apply to yourself - that one can always reach an end conclusion by selective consideration of a mass of evidence

The second is that if the jury consisted of 6 grumblers, we could safely conclude that SYG had zero effect even though read to the jury as part of the law to apply.  Sadly, however, the jury consisted by 6 people who were not grumbler.  Which means once again you no basis to draw your conclusion about what those 6 people considered or did not.   It is true and I fully concede that all my scenarios about what they might of thought are hypothetical.  Of  course I don't really know what happened in that jury room.  But of course neither do you.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

DGuller

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on August 04, 2013, 09:38:06 PM
The second is that if the jury consisted of 6 grumblers, we could safely conclude that SYG had zero effect even though read to the jury as part of the law to apply.
Man, I'd pay a fortune to not be a fly on the wall in that jury room during the deliberations.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2013, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: sbr on August 02, 2013, 10:33:33 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 02, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
QuoteThe director of a new branch of the Smithsonian, the National Museum of African American History and Culture

ZOMG where is mah wing of white history!!  Reverse Racism!!

Every other wing? :huh:

If you explain the joke you ruin it :(
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

sbr

Quote from: Valmy on August 05, 2013, 12:32:32 AM
Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2013, 10:14:57 AM
Quote from: sbr on August 02, 2013, 10:33:33 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on August 02, 2013, 08:23:45 PM
QuoteThe director of a new branch of the Smithsonian, the National Museum of African American History and Culture

ZOMG where is mah wing of white history!!  Reverse Racism!!

Every other wing? :huh:

If you explain the joke you ruin it :(

:yes:

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

grumbler

Here are two conclusions I draw.
One is the one you drew but seem curiously unable to apply to yourself - that one can always reach an end conclusion by selective consideration of a mass of evidence

The second is that if the jury consisted of 6 grumblers, we could safely conclude that SYG had zero effect even though read to the jury as part of the law to apply.  Sadly, however, the jury consisted by 6 people who were not grumbler.  Which means once again you no basis to draw your conclusion about what those 6 people considered or did not.   It is true and I fully concede that all my scenarios about what they might of thought are hypothetical.  Of  course I don't really know what happened in that jury room.  But of course neither do you. 

You exclude the third possibility, that you seem unwilling to apply yourself to:  the one can weigh the evidence as a whole, and realize that nowhere in it is stand your ground mentioned, and then note that the jury is specifically instructed to base their verdict on the evidence and instructions only,  and conclude that SYG had nothing to do with this case.

As you note, one can come up with millions of hypotheticals in which the jury could consider vampires, zombies, SYG, unicorns, and the like.  If that is the best challenge you have to my assertion that SYG didn't figure in the case (an assertion I make AFTER assessing the evidence, which is a key difference between us), then I am happy to stand by my assertion.

As to the red herrings about Zimmerman not being "significantly" injured and whatnot, I don't care.  Homey doesn't play the red herring game.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

11B4V

Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2013, 12:31:30 AM
The second is that if the jury consisted of 6 grumblers, we could safely conclude that SYG had zero effect even though read to the jury as part of the law to apply.
Man, I'd pay a fortune to not be a fly on the wall in that jury room during the deliberations.

They'd be accusing each other of ad hominems, non sequiturs, hyperboles, etc.... It would be quite an entertaining deliberation. The actual case talk would get derailed by little boats, the civil war, O'Conner, and convincing themselves that Babylon 5 didnt suck.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Ed Anger

Quote from: 11B4V on August 05, 2013, 08:20:29 PM
Quote from: DGuller on August 05, 2013, 12:31:30 AM

They'd be accusing each other of ad hominems, non sequiturs, hyperboles, etc.... It would be quite an entertaining deliberation. The actual case talk would get derailed by little boats, the civil war, O'Conner, and convincing themselves that Babylon 5 didnt suck.

Incan torpedo boats would overwhelm the Zara.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Savonarola

QuoteGeorge Zimmerman taken into police custody after incident with wife

(CNN) -- George Zimmerman was taken into custody Monday after an apparent domestic altercation with his wife and her father at a home in Lake Mary, Florida, police said.

"As of right now, (George Zimmerman) has been placed in investigative detention," Lake Mary police spokesman Zach Hudson said.

The incident comes two months after Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, was found not guilty of murder in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Florida.

Hudson said a gun was found in the Lake Mary home, but he added that it was not a part of the altercation.

Shellie Zimmerman, who filed for divorce last week, was the one to call 911, Hudson said.

Hudson added that police are following procedure by placing Zimmerman in investigative detention.

"Anytime we have anybody suspected of doing anything, we place them in investigative detention until a complete investigation has been done," Hudson said.

George's brother, Robert, tweeted after his brother's detention that the public shouldn't "jump to conclusions."

Shellie Zimmerman filed for divorce last week in Seminole County, her attorney told CNN at the time.

That filing came after she pleaded guilty to perjury on August 28 for lying about the state of the couple's finances during a bond hearing in April 2012. She had claimed she and her husband were broke, when in reality they had collected about $135,000 in donations.

Since his acquittal on July 13, George Zimmerman has been in the headlines several times. In late July, he reportedly helped a family escape from an overturned SUV. A report from the Seminole County Sheriff's Office confirmed his involvement.

More recently, Zimmerman has been pulled over in traffic twice. The first time, he was given a verbal warning for a traffic violation in Texas and reportedly told officers he had a firearm in his glove compartment. The second time was in Florida last week, when he was issued a $256 ticket for speeding.

Lake Mary is a suburb of Orlando near Sanford.

His goose is cooked; he left witnesses alive this time.   :(
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Valmy

Two attacks on his wife and an assaulted cop.  Oh but it was the teen he murdered who was the thug.

derspiess

I've never held him up as a hero, but murder?  You really believe that?
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Savonarola on September 09, 2013, 03:00:55 PM
His goose is cooked; he left witnesses alive this time.   :(

But one of them is a convicted perjurer . . .
--Joan Robinson

The Brain

Quote from: Savonarola on September 09, 2013, 03:00:55 PM
QuoteGeorge's brother, Robert, tweeted after his brother's detention that the public shouldn't "jump to conclusions."

[CdM] He should have sent a telegram. [/CdM]
Women want me. Men want to be with me.