The future George Zimmerman Acquittal Trial Megathread!

Started by CountDeMoney, June 20, 2013, 06:21:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Savonarola

WHITE HISPANIC BEATS SYSTEM AGAIN!

QuotePolice: Zimmerman wife not pressing charges

The estranged wife of George Zimmerman opted not to press charges against her husband Monday after police in Florida responded to her sobbing 911 call reporting he had punched her father and was threatening them with a gun.

"I'm really scared,'' Shellie Zimmerman can be heard telling Lake Mary, Fla., police in an audio recording of a 911 call placed around 2 p.m. Monday to authorities in the suburb northeast of Orlando.

Zimmerman was acquitted in July in the shooting death of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin in a case that captured the nation's attention and put a spotlight on Florida's self-defense gun laws.

Police allowed Zimmerman to go free Monday afternoon after questioning him outside the home where Shellie Zimmerman placed the 911 call. Police Chief Steve Bracknell said Shellie Zimmerman and her father decided not to press charges after consulting with an attorney.

Police deputy chief Colin Morgan said earlier that police held George Zimmerman in "investigative detention'' while they investigated the dispute.

A police spokesman said Zimmerman and his wife, who filed for divorce last week, were blaming each other for starting the fight at her father's home.

In an audio recording of Shellie Zimmerman's 911 call, she can be heard saying Zimmerman smashed an iPad she was holding and cut it with a pocket knife, struck her father in the nose and threatened both while putting a hand on a gun.

Deputy Police Chief Colin Morgan said officers did not recover a gun, and Bracknell said Shellie Zimmerman later dropped her claim that a gun was involved.

"Domestic violence can't be invoked because she has changed her story and says she didn't see a firearm," Bracknell said.

The dispute "was between him and his wife and her father,'' Morgan said. "There were some allegations that there had been an assault, but we could not confirm any of it.''

Orlando TV station WKMG reported that Shellie Zimmerman's parents, David and Machelle Dean, live at the home.

WKMG's SKY 6 helicopter showed at least a half-dozen police squad cars outside the house.

In the divorce petition, Shellie Zimmerman says she and her husband separated a month after Zimmerman, who is Hispanic, was acquitted of any crime for fatally shooting Martin, a black teenager, last July. The verdict sparked protests across the nation.

Zimmerman has been pulled over at least twice for speeding since his acquittal.

It's another proud day for all white Hispanics, whomever they may be.  I've sent a cable to congratulate Justice Sotomayor.   :bowler:
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

lustindarkness

Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Caliga

0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

lustindarkness

Funny thing, the first 28 years of my life I was white. Then I move to the states and I find out I'm Hispanic. LOL
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

derspiess

Hell, I'm white Hispandex, too.  Why not.  That Argie passport is just a formality.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Valmy

Quote from: lustindarkness on September 09, 2013, 08:54:35 PM
Funny thing, the first 28 years of my life I was white. Then I move to the states and I find out I'm Hispanic. LOL

You will always be white to me Lusti :hug:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Savonarola

Outrage from critics of Stand Your Ground may have helped change the law here in Florida, after all:

QuoteLawmakers defeat bill to repeal Stand Your Ground; expand immunity in warning shot cases
By Kathleen McGrory and Michael Van Sickler

Herald/Times Tallahassee Bureau

TALLAHASSEE --  A panel of state lawmakers on Thursday soundly rejected a proposal to repeal the Stand Your Ground self-defense law, but enthusiastically approved a pitch to expand Stand Your Ground immunity to people who fire a warning shot.

The votes took place at a highly anticipated hearing that lasted five hours before the House Criminal Justice Subcommittee. Nearly 300 people attended, and scores signed up to give their opinion on the controversial law.

Rep. Alan Williams, a Tallahassee Democrat, said his push to repeal Stand Your Ground had "everything to do with making sure we keep our streets and our communities and our neighborhoods safe."

"We have had a number of cases that have shown us over and over that the law as adopted in 2005 isn't working," Williams said.

But a half-dozen lawmakers, some of whom weren't on the subcommittee, came to the defense of Stand Your Ground.

"Today, our state is a safer place and has the lowest crime rate in 42 years," said Rep. Marti Coley, a Marianna Republican. "Florida's Stand Your Ground law is solid. It's good and should not be changed."

Said Democratic Rep. Katie Edwards, of Plantation: "The people I represent, the people we represent, need not be required, or have imposed upon them, a duty to retreat... I won't turn my back on responsible self-defense laws."

The committee shot down the repeal bill in a 2-11 vote.

The two supporters: Democrats Rep. Kionne McGhee, of Miami, and Randolph Bracy, of Orlando.

The hearing followed a tempestuous summer which saw neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman acquitted in the shooting death of Trayvon Martin, an unarmed teenager from Miami.

Zimmerman did not claim a Stand Your Ground defense, but language from the law was included in the jury instructions.

Following the acquittal, a group of young activists known as the Dream Defenders held a 31-day protest outside Gov. Rick Scott's office to demand a special legislative session on the self-defense law. Scott refused to call lawmakers to Tallahassee, but House Speaker Will Weatherford agreed to a hearing on the law in the fall.

From the time it was filed, the repeal bill was a long shot in the Republican-dominated Legislature.

Rep. Matt Gaetz, the Fort Walton Beach Republican tapped to lead the hearing, said he would not support changing "one damn comma" of the statute.

The repeal bill's chances diminished even further on Wednesday, when House Minority Leader Perry Thurston said he would prefer a bipartisan reform bill similar to one being considered in the Senate.

Still, scores of people traveled to Tallahassee to provide emotional and sometimes racially charged testimony.

The speakers included Lucia McBath, whose 17-year-old son Jordan Davis was gunned down following a 2012 dispute at a Jacksonville gas station.

"My grief is unbearable at times," said McBath, advocating for the repeal. "I'm here as a face of the countless victims of gun violence."

Arguments on the other side of the debate were just as impassioned.

"Florida sheriffs unequivocally support the right to stand your ground," said Okaloosa County Sheriff Larry Ashley, noting that people don't have time to ponder why an intruder is in their home.

The committee passed a separate bill ensuring people who fire a warning shot are not subject to the minimum mandatory sentencing law known as 10-20-Life.

Edwards and Reps. Neil Combee, a Polk City Republican, filed the bill after Marissa Alexander, of Jacksonville, was sentenced to the mandatory 20 years in prison for firing a warning shot at her husband. Alexander tried to claim immunity under the Stand Your Ground law, but was nonetheless found guilty.

The proposal by Combee and Edwards garnered 28 co-signers, and found support on both sides of the aisle.

The bill also won the support of Marion Hammer, the chief lobbyist for the National Rifle Association in Florida

"10-20-Life was never intended to be used against citizens who, in an act of self defense, threatened the use of force to stop an attack," Hammer said.

The proposal passed by a 12-1 vote, with McGhee dissenting. Final passage into law will eventually be up to the Florida Legislature, which convenes in March for its annual 60-day session.

"To simply give a blanket cover to anyone simply because he or she raises the issue of Stand Your Ground, could be more problematic in the future than it is now," said McGhee, an attorney.

After the meeting, Rep. Dennis Baxley, the Ocala Republican who helped write the original Stand Your Ground law, said the votes were a testament to the popularity of the statute.

"Eighty percent of Floridians still agree that we are safer because of this law," he said.

Williams said he would put his energy into amending Stand Your Ground.

"If we can't repeal, we must repair," he said.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/07/3738365/lawmakers-defeat-bill-to-repeal.html#storylink=cpy

I'm afraid Dion Warwick's high profile boycott has failed, though.  She really should have seen that coming.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

derspiess

11B4V

Quote from: Savonarola on November 08, 2013, 02:24:58 PM
Outrage from critics of Stand Your Ground may have helped change the law here in Florida, after all:

QuoteLawmakers defeat bill to repeal Stand Your Ground; expand immunity in warning shot cases

TALLAHASSEE --  A panel of state lawmakers on Thursday soundly rejected a proposal to repeal the Stand Your Ground self-defense law, but enthusiastically approved a pitch to expand Stand Your Ground immunity to people who fire a warning shot.

:nelson:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on November 08, 2013, 03:01:35 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on November 08, 2013, 02:24:58 PM

:nelson:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

I don't understand this Languish meme of blank-quoting. :hmm:

Neil

If a person doesn't quote properly, they are mocked.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.